NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tyrese Haliburton 2020-2021 Outlook

First preseason game as a rookie and maybe had the jitters but he looked indecisive with the ball last night.  Quick to pick up his dribble without having a next move in mind, getting rid of the ball at times to teammates like it was a hot potato and not wanting to make a play.  He got more comfortable late in the game when it was almost all backups and he became the primary ball handler.  On the defensive side though he has ridiculous anticipation of passing lanes.  Two steals and almost a third from reading eyes of the ball handler when he was guarding off ball.

Got him as my last pick in a 14 teamer and wasn't sure what to expect.  Predictions?

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If we can get this going i'd love it. I got the number 1 waiver and im not afraid to use it

What are you saying? He was ranked 47th on the season as a rookie, but he is “way too inconsistent”? Only a couple a bad games.    Go ahead and drop for Cory Joseph.

Fantasy owners want every player on their roster to play 48 and minutes and chuck 30 shots. If not the coach needs to get fired and every player needs to be traded.

Posted Images

Tyrese Haliburton: – Maybe, pretty sure, my favorite guard in the draft. Eddie Jones’ cousin, and I noticed some flashes of his game in college. I think Haliburton could end up being the best player in this class (not fantasy wise, per sé). His college steals numbers were somewhat inflated, but he gets his hands on quite a few balls. Tyrese and Kira were the only guards to shoot at least 45% FG, 35% from 3, and 80% from the charity stripe. He’s incredibly crafty and has great size and tools. He’s not the best athlete or fastest player, but I think he will have no trouble finding a role in the league.
Predicted stats: 26.00 mpg, 50.5% fg%, 1.3 3pm, 85.0% ft%, 3.3 rpg, 3.7 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.4 bpg, 2.4 topg, 8.6 ppg

Edit: the fg my model produced is higher than what I expext. I'm thinking 47% fg.

Edited by perkinsfor3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Tyrese Haliburton: – Maybe, pretty sure, my favorite guard in the draft. Eddie Jones’ cousin, and I noticed some flashes of his game in college. I think Haliburton could end up being the best player in this class (not fantasy wise, per sé). His college steals numbers were somewhat inflated, but he gets his hands on quite a few balls. Tyrese and Kira were the only guards to shoot at least 45% FG, 35% from 3, and 80% from the charity stripe. He’s incredibly crafty and has great size and tools. He’s not the best athlete or fastest player, but I think he will have no trouble finding a role in the league.
Predicted stats: 26.00 mpg, 50.5% fg%, 1.3 3pm, 85.0% ft%, 3.3 rpg, 3.7 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.4 bpg, 2.4 topg, 8.6 ppg

Edit: the fg my model produced is higher than what I expext. I'm thinking 47% fg.

I don't mean to sound like an a**, but how does a model "predict" 85% FT for a kid that shot 82.2% in his final year of college (77.5% over 2 years) and 81.7% in high school?

Also, if he scores 3.9 points per game on threes (1.3 makes), but scores only 8.6 points, how is he supposed to shoot 47%, let alone 50.5%? He would need to be either an elite 3-point shooter (like, top-5 PG in the NBA) or an elite 2-point FG% guard (like top 10 in the NBA), or near-elite in both.

Outside of the 26 minutes, it seems like this model is predicting his ceiling.

I see exactly when you mean, and the percentages are off for Haliburton - something I definitely need to check and someone else pointed it out as well. Thanks. However,  I do believe he'll be an incredibly good finisher - not an elite 3point shooter. He's going to be much further along than we've seen from most rookies guards. 

On 12/12/2020 at 4:28 PM, perkinsfor3 said:

I see exactly when you mean, and the percentages are off for Haliburton - something I definitely need to check and someone else pointed it out as well. Thanks. However,  I do believe he'll be an incredibly good finisher - not an elite 3point shooter. He's going to be much further along than we've seen from most rookies guards. 

But you already mentioned that. Your model seems interesting, I prefer to look at what's right and if there's enough (there is here) it's worth exploring more. The 3+ ast/reb in year one with efficient, low scoring and good D makes sense. Looks a little like a (poor man's) Dejounte Murray line if we discount the model's percentage calls. Similar to % looking high (favorable), maybe the 2.4 TO is also high (unfavorable). There's something interesting in your numbers. Just make sure you figure out what that something is and you've got a nice edge.

Edited by rando
11 hours ago, tazdingo said:

I just don't know yet. His college defense looked good and he sure is long. I can't imagine him blossoming yet with Hield in the mix.

Well... Look at me being all impressed now after being rather down on him just a day ago 🤣

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Sooner. Hes better than Hield, more liked and probably a better fit.

Do you mean this in a "Utah needed to get rid of Rodney Hood so they can start Donovan Mitchell" kind of sense...?

19 minutes ago, rabaak said:

How do the minutes get distributed between C. Joseph, Kyle Guy, Fox and Haliburton? Tyre didn't look like he was all that efficient in preseason minutes. 

Might take until 2nd half of the season for him to shine.

CoJo looked horrible. The guard rotation in Aac isnt actually all that deep. They do love Guy though.

1 hour ago, perkinsfor3 said:

CoJo looked horrible. The guard rotation in Aac isnt actually all that deep. They do love Guy though.

Haliburton can play both PG or SG,So I think he will play at least 20-25 mins

Easily my favorite rook this year based on draft position and it's not close. Passes the eye test big time. Looks like he can do a bit of everything points, rebounds, assists, 3's, stocks. Coaches love him, players love playing with him. I'm not saying he takes anyone's job, but I don't think he needs to in order to stay rosterable. Looks like he could play great next to Fox or Buddy on ball or off.. Could be a later season home run once the game slows down for him and/or if Kings aren't in the mix. Could happen sooner than later. Going to do my best to hold through the inevitable rookie struggles. I have a feeling I'm going to be keeping this kid for a long time in my dynasty. 

• Like 1

I own him and love the production thus far. And it can only go up. Did not enjoy Buddy tipping that game winning shot in though. Going to make him and Luke see eye to eye for a few games at least...

10 minutes ago, JormaJormala said:

I own him and love the production thus far. And it can only go up. Did not enjoy Buddy tipping that game winning shot in though. Going to make him and Luke see eye to eye for a few games at least...

Because of a tip in? You believe that single tip in would make Walton think differently? Jeez. There's a whole game of Hield sucking before that tip in to review, and even then - enoigh minutes for both of them, since they play entirely different games/roles. Worry about CoJo in a contract year if you want to sweat about the, frankly, thin backcourt rotation in Sac. 

Loved what I saw but I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned that Cory Joseph still got plenty of burn along with him. Interesting to see them run a 3 guard lineup with Hield, Fox, and Haliburton but I will be doubtful it'll be as efficient as CP3, SGA, and Schroeder was.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Tyrese Haliburton 2020-2021 Outlook

In 35 minutes at Iowa St last year, he avg'd 6.5 assist per. Ok, those are there.

He also averaged 2.5 steals per. He has zero through 3 games 🤔 C'mon young man, gamble on D a few times LOL. Booker had 10 turnovers the last few nights, lets get some swipes to fill out these nice lines.