NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Tyrese Haliburton 2020-2021 Outlook

CharlesCC2

15 hours ago, tazdingo said:

He really needs Hield or Fox out of the way to flourish. Gotta be patient with this one. He doesn't seem like the guy that'll pop till the end of the first NBA month.

Why is that?  No player can play all 48 minutes.  He is already getting 28 minutes right out of the gate as a rookie.

16 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Dude seems gun shy.  I want him to triple those shot attempts to about 20 per game.

Let's go Haliburton. Give me some oil and set it on fire!

He's not gun shy. He's extremely smart about his positioning, temporization and shot selection. Thats part of what makes him really good.

If that other stuff is what you're looking for I got a barely used Terry Rozier right here for you.

9 minutes ago, perkinsfor3 said:

He's not gun shy. He's extremely smart about his positioning, temporization and shot selection. Thats part of what makes him really good.

If that other stuff is what you're looking for I got a barely used Terry Rozier right here for you.

Convince the Terry rozier owner in my league to do that trade and I'm down 100%.

Also, I don't know what temporization is, but I'm leaning towards it being a made up word. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Convince the Terry rozier owner in my league to do that trade and I'm down 100%.

Also, I don't know what temporization is, but I'm leaning towards it being a made up word. 

Pacing. My bad, literal translation from my mother tongue.

Point being, you're probably not aware of Haliburtons strengths and what makes him a good player, since you're wishing for stuff he isn't and shouldn't strive to be. 

2 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Pacing. My bad, literal translation from my mother tongue.

Point being, you're probably not aware of Haliburtons strengths and what makes him a good player, since you're wishing for stuff he isn't and shouldn't strive to be. 

It's early in his rookie campaign but he looks and seems very efficient, similarly to the way SGA was on the Clippers.  

I owned SGA his rookie year and he bored me.  I tried to trade him often with no takers.

Now he shoots triple the shots and I can't spend a high enough draft pick to get him on my team.

It's not that absurd.

I just watched the entire game vs the PHX Suns and here are some of my notes:

player rotation
- comes in the 2nd unit and he has good dynamics with Cory Joseph as both are pass first guards.
- has good potential if he keeps playing pick and roll with M Bagley rather than with 2nd unit bigs in Whiteside and Bjelica.
- when playing with D Fox and B Hield, he is more often relegated in the corner baseline. Meaning he gets the ball around 12 seconds or less, from strong side to weak side and off rotating defenders. He's really good making plays out of this, but I guess the next step is having confidence for him to start their offense.
- not sure how he can 

playing with D Fox and B Hield
- I think this will ultimately be the limiting factor. Not sure if D Fox can play off-guard, the ball has to be in his hands as he's their best playmaker. The good thing with Haliburton is he has good outside range (in-spite of the unorthodox form) so I guess he can play off-ball and be another playmaker with D Fox. Walton loves going with this lineup though: D Fox, B Hield, H Barnes, M Bagley, R Holmes.

Luke Walton effect
- we all know that this coach loves player rotations and time-share. On a bad day, they go 10-deep with Glen Robinson III in the rotation. Not to mention, Jabari Parker is still in the sidelines. 
- so I'm not sure if he's ever going to go beyond what he's currently producing ~10 PTS 5 AST 1.7 3PTM already playing at ~28 mins.

I may pass up on using my waiver #1 for him in a competitive 16-team league.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wisegeeks said:

I just watched the entire game vs the PHX Suns and here are some of my notes:

player rotation
- comes in the 2nd unit and he has good dynamics with Cory Joseph as both are pass first guards.
- has good potential if he keeps playing pick and roll with M Bagley rather than with 2nd unit bigs in Whiteside and Bjelica.
- when playing with D Fox and B Hield, he is more often relegated in the corner baseline. Meaning he gets the ball around 12 seconds or less, from strong side to weak side and off rotating defenders. He's really good making plays out of this, but I guess the next step is having confidence for him to start their offense.
- not sure how he can 

playing with D Fox and B Hield
- I think this will ultimately be the limiting factor. Not sure if D Fox can play off-guard, the ball has to be in his hands as he's their best playmaker. The good thing with Haliburton is he has good outside range (in-spite of the unorthodox form) so I guess he can play off-ball and be another playmaker with D Fox. Walton loves going with this lineup though: D Fox, B Hield, H Barnes, M Bagley, R Holmes.

Luke Walton effect
- we all know that this coach loves player rotations and time-share. On a bad day, they go 10-deep with Glen Robinson III in the rotation. Not to mention, Jabari Parker is still in the sidelines. 
- so I'm not sure if he's ever going to go beyond what he's currently producing ~10 PTS 5 AST 1.7 3PTM already playing at ~28 mins.

I may pass up on using my waiver #1 for him in a competitive 16-team league.

Without knowing the specifics of your league, for a 16 teamer he seems worth a #1 waiver.  His current numbers are his floor IMO.  I think his usage and minutes will gradually increase as the season progresses as Hield's role will continue to shrink.

20 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Without knowing the specifics of your league, for a 16 teamer he seems worth a #1 waiver.  His current numbers are his floor IMO.  I think his usage and minutes will gradually increase as the season progresses as Hield's role will continue to shrink.

I think you heard enough about the specifics. 

COMPETITIVE 16 teamer. 

Competitive being the key word here. It means the rest of us will soon understand what competitive league players already knew. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

what's up with B Hield's dwindling role? Luke Walton seems to butt head with him.

I don't know, T Haliburton passes the eye test for playing good team basketball. He's already at ~28 mins, so the only thing that can shift which would lead to him producing more counting numbers is USAGE. Will I bet he'll get more usage with D Fox, B Hield, M Bagley, H Barnes around? I will be inclined to say no.

5 minutes ago, wisegeeks said:

what's up with B Hield's dwindling role? Luke Walton seems to butt head with him.

I don't know, T Haliburton passes the eye test for playing good team basketball. He's already at ~28 mins, so the only thing that can shift which would lead to him producing more counting numbers is USAGE. Will I bet he'll get more usage with D Fox, B Hield, M Bagley, H Barnes around? I will be inclined to say no.

Last year Walton benched Dedmon for Holmes after 3 games.

A couple months later he benched Hield for Bogdanovic.

If you're wanting Haliburton to become the starting SG, with Hield again becoming the microwave scorer off the bench, look for stretches on their schedule where they could go on an extended losing streak.

DEN, at HOU x2 next

or

Tor, Por, Ind, Por, LAC, NO, LAC

Also, as I said earlier in the thread, to get his fantasy value up he needs to get his 1.5 steals a game based on him getting 2.5 steals in college.

• Like 1

Just now, bbythepier said:

I was DEAD WRONG. Tyrese is closing this puppy out with coast to coast layups, pocket passes to Holmes and big rebounds in the paint. Luke is trusting him more and more. 3 guard lineup to close!

I was just about to post about it! Yup, closing and balling. 

This man is going to be a baller.  He does not look like a rookie out there.  Makes such smart plays and is super smooth.  Looks real comfortable for a rookie.  And he just hit a three with the shot clock running out from like four feet behind the line.

The bright future for this guy is already starting to shine through.

• Like 1