NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Paddack 2021 Outlook

2ndCitySox

Just now, 89Topps said:

Sure, some do.  Some don't.  There's no statistical evidence to support that.

And I would fee the same way about a Giants or Rays pitcher if they were where they are or if they were 10 games under .500.

No of course there isn't. You can't study comradery and put it on a statcast. It's a team sport either way. You don't think run support and Tatis homering in the top of the 1st to a sold out crowd has a positive effect on Paddack?.... Don't worry about it, let's just agree to disagree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

No of course there isn't. You can't study comradery and put it on a statcast. It's a team sport either way. You don't think run support and Tatis homering in the top of the 1st to a sold out crowd has a positive effect on Paddack?.... Don't worry about it, let's just agree to disagree.

Maybe. That's not consistent across all pitchers though.  I would guess that's not even consistent for a pitcher from one season to the next.  It's purely anecdotal. 

1 hour ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Thanks for the pile on. All I meant is pitching development

Just because mostly everyone disagreed with you does not mean it was a pile on. And you said nothing about pitching development at all. "Turning things around" is not development fwiw.

21 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

I still tend towards players on 'playoff bound' teams that could turn it around, because they have the reason and motivation to...rather than a guy who finds not only himself, but his team in a rut, and unlikely to compete in August/September. Anything can happen in the second half. I thought Paddack turned a corner but he has reverted back to his early struggles.

Dropping Paddack for Jon Gray in my 14 teamer

29 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Oh hey look, Darvish getting smacked around by the Nationals too. Could just be a red hot offense.

Another pitcher having a poor outing in a completely seperate game has nothing to do with Paddack's poor performance last night or in any previous outing. If these are the straws you're grasping at it's probably best you just stop. This type of "insight" helps literally nobody.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, disgruntledf said:

Another pitcher having a poor outing in a completely seperate game has nothing to do with Paddack's poor performance last night or in any previous outing. If these are the straws you're grasping at it's probably best you just stop. This type of "insight" helps literally nobody.

Nothing? They are separate outings but certainly telling that the Padres ran into a hot team.

Musgrove gave up 5 runs on Monday.

Weathers gave up 4 runs on Tuesday.

Paddack gave up 8 runs on Wednesday.

Darvish gave up 6 runs on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Trea Turner, Juan Soto, Josh Bell, Starlin Castro, Josh Harrison & Yan Gomes all have at least 6 hits this series.

I've obviously communicated poorly in my defense of Paddack ('stick with him because he's on a good team', basically), but the thread was notably quiet during Paddack's run from June 6th to June 18th when he made significant strides, and it can be easy after a bad outing to completely trash a player's value, but it's a long season and a player can retain value if you hold. With the All-Star break right around the corner, we'll see many players right the ship in the second half. It happens every year. We'll see who shows up.

But yes, I've ran my mouth too much for the time being.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Nothing? They are separate outings but certainly telling that the Padres ran into a hot team.

Musgrove gave up 5 runs on Monday.

Weathers gave up 4 runs on Tuesday.

Paddack gave up 8 runs on Wednesday.

Darvish gave up 6 runs on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Trea Turner, Juan Soto, Josh Bell, Starlin Castro, Josh Harrison & Yan Gomes all have at least 6 hits this series.

Its almost as if they are feeding off each other...

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...