NBC Sports Edge Forums

PJ Washington 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a difference two days makes. Took a flier near draft's end (possibly because of this conversation, so thanks for that). The stretch-5 rumors are legit and yesterday he put up a baby draymond line

so that's a yes 😂

Pretty sure when Forrest Gump was blabbering on about that box of chocolates, it was actually a metaphor for our man PJ

Posted Images

Having owned him last year, I found him to seemingly always be on the brink of providing awesome value but never quite managing the consistency to do it. Of course he was a rookie and should be a better player now, but adding three high-usage guys could obviously limit his fantasy value; they didn't have any good players last year yet he was barely rosterable. He hasn't shown good enough reb/blk rates for those alone to carry his value if he gets stuck as a fourth or fifth wheel on offense.

At the same time, Charlotte has to develop their young talent to get anywhere so I don't see much competition for big minutes.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, mattshhh said:

Having owned him last year, I found him to seemingly always be on the brink of providing awesome value but never quite managing the consistency to do it. Of course he was a rookie and should be a better player now, but adding three high-usage guys could obviously limit his fantasy value; they didn't have any good players last year yet he was barely rosterable. He hasn't shown good enough reb/blk rates for those alone to carry his value if he gets stuck as a fourth or fifth wheel on offense.

At the same time, Charlotte has to develop their young talent to get anywhere so I don't see much competition for big minutes.

He has no competition and should play a ton. I think he was pretty good for a rookie on a terrible team. He isnt a high usage dude and if he can hit triples at a better rate he could do big things. He almost averaged a steal and block a game as a rookie

What a difference two days makes. Took a flier near draft's end (possibly because of this conversation, so thanks for that). The stretch-5 rumors are legit and yesterday he put up a baby draymond line in 24 mins- 9/6/5/2/2, also tied for team lead in shot attempts. I caught some of the game, these hornets look better out of the gate than they ever did last year and PJ rolled like an undisputed starter. He's added muscle, moves quicker and showcased real playmaking ability so I'm gonna say reach for the sky because he's ready for that leap

• Like 7
On 12/12/2020 at 3:46 PM, mattshhh said:

If he slips far enough I'm all aboard. Not too many reliable PF available in later rounds

I have these guys all in a jumble for 9-cat roto, I'll surely pick one of these near clones with the top two being a bit more desirable for youth...

PJ

Hachimura

Baynes

Millsap

Bjelica

17 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Showed he shouldn't/can't play C. That experiment is going to be short lived. So, PF, where Miles Bridges is probably only playable as well. Capping both their upside. PJ running with starters, Miles with Ball. 

Bruh, it’s preseason, at least give him a week of real games

2 hours ago, Kamura said:

Bruh, it’s preseason, at least give him a week of real games

I dont think a week will be enough to get back in shape. PJ looks hella sluggish so far. He moved his feet too slow, and that was the case at PF somewhat last year as well, even though he is a natural 4, as is Miles Bridges, in the NBA.

I know Borrego has been praising him for how he looked during the 2 week scrimmage camp, but he has also admitted PJ looks horrible right now. He's constantly in spots where he shouldnt be on defense and has no way to recover. There are some things he'll learn, like not trying to pick up guards too early and defending too far out. On offense hes still trying to do too much, he shouldnt try to force the issue and create too much.

PJs current form just gives me the idea he hasnt worked on his game or added anything over the,admittedly short, offseason at all. Thats somewhat worrisome. I did like the way he started out as a rookie a lot.

Maybe hes caught between a rock and a hard place where he bulked up (in the wrong sense) to play C but lost the little quickness he had in the process. Even then, his positioning needs a loooooot of work and he just keeps missing assignments on both ends.

I guess the positive thing is that Miles Bridges (who actually looks improved) plays much, much better with Ball, meaning that Miles probably will only take PJs spot if Ball moves into the starting line up as well. This could take a while since he needs to tone down his game a bit and start playing defense... And fix that Lavarr trained push shoot (good luck to the dhooting coaches with that one).

Take a deep breath and relax. He was in good shape a week ago and for perkins to be re-evaluating his entire skillset off one game is as rotoworld as it gets. They like him more than Bridges, it was clear last season and confirmed in preseason. Rozier scored 42 points, so maybe im wrong and this is what every night will look like

Yeah, he sucked in preseason too.  But for y'all who owned PJW last year (like myself), he's very capable of dropping duds like this and getting like, 20 mpg.

I'd probably hold.  Zeller got hurt, and it's not like Biyombo is gonna play 30 mpg.  I'm hoping PJW gets more run on a rebuilding team and more minutes at C (and the C designation, lol).  But even though it's just one game, tonight is a reminder that you can't really trust PJW sometimes.

6 hours ago, mattshhh said:

Take a deep breath and relax. He was in good shape a week ago and for perkins to be re-evaluating his entire skillset off one game is as rotoworld as it gets. They like him more than Bridges, it was clear last season and confirmed in preseason. Rozier scored 42 points, so maybe im wrong and this is what every night will look like

PJ wasnt in good shape a week ago... And once again, its not based off of one game. But go ahead and bend the narrative however you want to. Its also not that hard to like a player more than Bridges... 

Somehow ended up grabbing him off waivers after someone ragedropped him, dropping Keldon (literally had no one else to drop other than Pat Williams, who has better season-long value and a more certain path to minutes due to White's injury). Was really questioning if I should've grabbed him considering the hype around Keldon but I believe in taking advantage of reactionary first-week drops as well. 

You're welcome to crucify me for screwing up. PJ isn't looking too good right now based off his preseason and first game..

Hopefully he finds his footing this year and the Zeller injury gives him the opportunity to build up some confidence. Borrego believes in him.

Edited by Espoiral
  • Like 2