NBC Sports Edge Forums

PJ Washington 2020-2021 Outlook

Man, in my shallow league and in a matchup dogfight, I had the option of streaming PJW or Thad Young for the B2B.  Took Thad because I needed assists and %s.  Thad gets a PPD and PJW goes for a career high and a huge line.  Excellent.

Also, did y'all catch that game?  One of the most stunning collapses I've ever seen, and clutch play by the undermanned Hornets (missing 3 starters).  Kings had a 97.3% chance to win that game in those closing few seconds. Luke and the crew must really want that draft pick, lol.

Edited by MWon
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a difference two days makes. Took a flier near draft's end (possibly because of this conversation, so thanks for that). The stretch-5 rumors are legit and yesterday he put up a baby draymond line

so that's a yes 😂

Pretty sure when Forrest Gump was blabbering on about that box of chocolates, it was actually a metaphor for our man PJ

Posted Images

Now the question is will Borrego  give PJ 30+ min every game. It's ridiculous that he is averaging less minutes than his rookie season. PJ is the answer as the small-ball center, Biyombo is a** trash personified. 

1 hour ago, megaplayboy said:

who dropped? lol

Hornets are missing hayward and graham,someone need to score

6 minutes ago, hyperionloop said:

Sustainable? Or sell high? Obviously not asking if 40+ is sustainable, but this past week he's been really efficient with good stocks.

Sell high.

no Hayward, no Graham, no Zeller. 

He's building confidence for a strong finish and people will continue undervaluing him (10th ranked among PF) so just hold tight. Any uptick in scoring over the second half would elevate him to early-mid round value, and even if the numbers stay put he's been providing more than people realize

17 minutes ago, KingDURANTULA said:

looked kinda fatigued out there 

Was just about to say the same thing. Dont know if hes still getting his conditioning back from that covid incident, or maybe it was just the B2B but he looked exhausted out there. Was just moving around trying to do his job but didnt look the same as other nights

10 minutes ago, royalm said:

Any word on ankle? He'll be good to go after the break right?

I'm sure he's fine also the last game was a blowout and the Hornets probably took him out in the 4th  just as a precaution. 

• Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This guy is super tempting to drop with how inconsistent he is, especially with how many good waiver wire players are emerging right now

3 hours ago, atrium said:

This guy is super tempting to drop with how inconsistent he is, especially with how many good waiver wire players are emerging right now

giving him this last b2b then making a decision

1 hour ago, megaplayboy said:

giving him this last b2b then making a decision

I'm actually streaming him in a shallow league for that reason as well (the league where I've been holding him ... I'm getting those traumatic 2020 PJW flashbacks - too good to drop but he's basically dead weight otherwise when he's cold).  

On 3/28/2021 at 9:53 PM, KingDURANTULA said:

0 points in 44min.. bruh

Fun fact, his 0 points in 44 minutes is a new record ... in the last nearly 40 years, nobody has ever played so many minutes yet failed to score.  And that's also approaching the Dennis Rodman era, so that's sort of an epic achievement for PJW.

5 hours ago, atrium said:

Okeke, McDaniels, Diallo ... I'd be pulling the trigger on some of those guys by tomorrow if you haven't already (or if PJW continues to suck).  Of course, there's always the chance that PJW gets hot again.  The last game was basically the Martin twins/Bridges getting hot and Zeller/Biyombo taking C minutes and forcing PJW to play more PF.  The game before last was him just not shooting well.  I also think LaMelo's absence means Graham gets to chuck as many treys as he wants, so that's concerning.

40 minutes ago, MWon said:

The last game was basically the Martin twins/Bridges getting hot and Zeller/Biyombo taking C minutes and forcing PJW to play more PF.  The game before last was him just not shooting well.  I also think LaMelo's absence means Graham gets to chuck as many treys as he wants, so that's concerning.

He was also in foul trouble to start the game (2 fouls less than midway in the 1st quarter), which really took him out of his rhythm/game. 

PJ's remained a top 75 guy over this down month, and though it hasn't translated yet, some of Lamelo's touches are likely to come his way and give him a window for returning to mid-round form.

He's always been streaky on offense but he's the 13th ranked PF and his role remains secure (32mpg over last 2 weeks). His success goes under the radar cuz y'all have a boner for points. If he was giving us 17ppg and nothing else I bet most would be happier despite the value being weaker

so, you better feel mighty confident about that waiver rando

Edited by mattshhh
On 4/1/2021 at 2:48 AM, mattshhh said:

PJ's remained a top 75 guy over this down month, and though it hasn't translated yet, some of Lamelo's touches are likely to come his way and give him a window for returning to mid-round form.

He's always been streaky on offense but he's the 13th ranked PF and his role remains secure (32mpg over last 2 weeks). His success goes under the radar cuz y'all have a boner for points. If he was giving us 17ppg and nothing else I bet most would be happier despite the value being weaker

so, you better feel mighty confident about that waiver rando

Not really sure where you're getting Top 75 for last month. 

Using Bballmonster, he's #102 for total value for the last month.  The problem is that his ranking was buffered by blocks (at 20 total, he was #11 for overall blocks), and boards (at 98 total, he was just outside Top 30), but his efficiency was absolutely dreadful, at less than 41% FG, 76% FT, and 32 TOs (2.5 tpg).  

The other thing is that he seems to be inconsistent to the point where it's not just a game-by-game basis, but a matchup basis if you play 9cat H2H as well; for example, he was extremely good last week for overall counting stats, BUT that also came at the cost of basically torpedoing your efficiency cats.  At 31% FG, 43% FT, 11 TOs (2.75 tpg), and 30 pts (6 ppg) last week, it's debatable whether he's helping you more or hurting you when he was active last week.  

I think what I'm trying to say is that, to your point, we're not all fantasy newbs who go bananas over points.  The reason why we're souring on him is that his counting stats comes with some pretty considerable hits to %s and TOs (and yeah, he doesn't score much either); it'd actually be fine if he were only going 0/4 and giving us a 7/5/1//1.3/1.3 line otherwise, but he's bricking shots with some volume now, meaning the FG% hits are starting to add up. 

And also to your point regarding his role and minutes, it's concerning that Biyombo and Zeller's minutes are both ramping up, pushing PJW closer to 26-28 minutes than 32.  PJW plays C much better and while the former two getting a few extra minutes doesn't seem like much, it's problematic because them taking about 36 minutes combined (or more) at C means PJW is squashed at PF, where he's in competition with Hayward/Miles.  Your 32 mpg also comes with the caveats that he's gotten some 40+ mpg games, one without Zeller, one OT, and one against a super-small Lakers squad without a C.

Tomorrow's game (tonight's) will be concerning, since I'm predicting some bad foul trouble against the huge frontcourt of Sabonis/Turner, if the former plays.  

• Like 1