NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jarrett Allen 2020-2021 Outlook

The 1-2 combo of DJ and Allen at the 5 is a nice luxury for Brooklyn to have but they've got decisions to make for their future.  Even if Allen doesn't see >20mpg I'm not sure if Brooklyn keep him unless they're willing to hold him, just ride this season out and be resigned to letting him walk in free agency. 

Some other team is definitely going to offer him a fat contract and I'm doubtful that Brooklyn match it.  They're already something like 30mil over the cap.  Re-signing Allen would throw them into 100mil luxury tax territory.  DJ has 2 more seasons left and I doubt anybody bites on his contract even though it's not totally horrible so barring some GM chad moves by Marks, Allen is the one that's going to be moved if Brooklyn want to get anything in return for him and they're probably going to have to trade him for cents on the dollar.  That possibility alone is worth rostering him for. 

The big question mark in all this is a Harden trade.  Allen could be Houston bound or even somewhere else depending on what teams get involved and which players are moved.

Edited by ComeOnAndSlam
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure what all the hate's about. He's coming off arguably his best game as a Cav, he's averaging 25 MPG and putting up top 60 value since the trade in a backup role. McGee is out of the rotation an

2 points 2 rebounds is feasting?

Posted Images

he had a good game for the minutes he played last night as a backup, however in the limited # of games he played as a backup last year, his numbers are not fantasy starter worthy. They mirror Zubac's numbers : 8.7 points, 7.8 rebounds, .5 Assists, .7 Blocks, .3 Steals.  Good FG% on limited # of shots. And what's scary is it's not just a timeshare with Jordan. At times, NEITHER were on the court and that looks like it will be a trend all season. It wasn't just in garbage time. This is gonna be like the Lakers situation last year with Javale and Howard splitting minutes and at times, cancelling each other out and then the Lakers going small with neither on the court. Sounds like a disaster unless Allen becomes a starter and Jordan's minutes go down (which likely won't happen) or he is traded, which is a big IF, and that still is in no way a guarantee for him to get 30+ minutes. 

Edited by magic32
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, CFN said:

Absolutely ridiculous that this guy is only gonna get 18 MPG in Brooklyn. A damn shame.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease I guess. Didn't expect him to play the entire 4th quarter (so far). I'll take it!!!

I actually don't mind him coming off the bench if he's playing more minutes than Deandre. He is gonna be playing in the 4th quarter in addition. So should be able to get 25 minutes that way. Also no way Deandre plays garbage minutes, so more value there. And lets be honest, a lot of garbage minutes coming for this team lol.

Damn it, I just dropped him in a shallow league to stream (yes, lots of sleepers available on the wire).  But games like this make those sorts of decisions really difficult.

No doubt he can produce in limited minutes, but I still think it's a risk to have a true timeshare (and a bench role) for Allen.  Wondering whether, when the Nets are in a close game, if they'll play DAJ more or if Allen will get minutes down the stretch.

2 minutes ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

The entire nets fanbase is pretty livid with Nash playing DJ in overtime. Allen didn't play any in OT, but I am not worried. I feel like there's gonna be sufficient pressure on Nash to stop ******** up the closing rotations soon. 

Not saying you're wrong (it makes a lot of sense), but where are you seeing this? Just hoping to read about it. Thanks

• Like 1
11 hours ago, DLG10 said:

Even with OT he only had 22 minutes.

Damn

Well the OT didn't apply to him because he didn't play in it. Not sure what Nash was thinking... glad they ended up losing.

Either way, I'm getting less and less worried about JA's minutes because Nash has actually been using him more in the 2nd halves of games, in fact he played the entire 3Q last night and two games ago he closed out the 4Q. It seems like he trusts him to play longer stretches at a time, and as the season starts to wear on he'll take advantage of this. Plus he's putting up solid value anyway, and if DJ gets hurt for any stretch of time JA becomes a top 6-8 big man for however long he's out. And there will likely be DNP-Rest games for DJ too.

• Like 1