NBC Sports Edge Forums

Talen Horton-Tucker 2020-2021 Outlook

If Lebron likes him, that will have a big impact. 

There are all kinds of examples of 2nd round draft choices, undrafted free agents and G-League guys playing their way into fantasy relevance. If I remember right Pascal Siakam was one of those recently. And last year, I think Christian Wood kind of came out of no where to be fantasy relevant. 

Sure the Lakers are stacked. But if Lebron likes this guy and he can play both ends of the floor, I certainly might take a chance on him at the end of the draft. And the Dynasty guys are probably ready to pounce on this guy too.

• Like 1
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lmao literally the only reason anyone is paying any attention to this Dr Seuss character is because he plays for the Lakers. Once the season starts, he's gonna go back to playing 10 minutes a night an

Pre-season   Now  

I'm intrigued.    

7 minutes in the first half.

Then starters sit and Schroeder tweaks his ankle. 

He's not getting more than 18 minutes. 

15 minutes is achievable.

Rosterable in 14 team leagues but anything less and there should be plenty on the waiver wire to pick up that should be better.

I wish they'd just start him for crying out loud...hes clearly the best SG on the team. 

👁🧐🥽🙄🤩🙈👁🧐🥽🙄🤩🙈👁🧐🥽🙄🤩🙈👁🧐🥽🙄🤩🙈👁🧐🥽🙄🤩🙈👁🧐🥽🙄

THT is Dynomite

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, JormaJormala said:

I think we have our winner of "Rollercoast topic of the year"... Its this or Michael Porter.

It can't really be a "roller coaster ride" when the ride hasn't even started. People buying the 1 great preseason game he had is like looking at a kick a** movie poster and assuming it wins every Oscar for the year when the film isn't even out.

Edited by tazdingo

This is off NBA.COM. If he impresses on defense, any team in the NBA can use that:

Horton-Tucker scored 19 points against the Clippers on Friday and topped that with 33 on Sunday, showing off a variety of scoring moves while grabbing 10 rebounds with four assists and four steals. He immediately mounted a case for minutes consideration even after the Lakers’ deep regular-season rotation kicks in.

L.A. did lose some perimeter defense with Rajon Rondo, Danny Green and Avery Bradley missing this season, so that’s a bit of light for Horton-Tucker. “I feel like just coming in with me using my defensive instincts and being able to compete on the defensive end is going to be something that helps me get on the court,” he said.

There’s such a thing as “playing the long game”

Yea THT might get 10 mpg in the first week. But when the starters rest, Wes Matthews shows his age, injuries happen — you know these content, well-fed Laker vets aren’t playing through injuries lol — then THT’s will start to creep up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Even if he gets 5 minutes in his first week I'm holding. Preseason stats like his don't just appear. Especially in a COVID year, they're not going to let him linger on the bench.

Becareful man, I can come up with names that did disappear. Like Niekel Walker, Kris Dunn, ... They are there if you keep digging.

Have to be patient with this guy or stash in Dynasty

I think a Dynasty stash makes sense but those getting giddy on value this year will be disappointed outside of the deepest leagues. There isn’t much room for a third person to put up decent stats behind Lebron and AD and there are still guys like KCP, Kuzma , Montrez, and Schroeder. Tucker seems miserable for value this year. I’m sure he’ll be on at times but even if AD or Lebron go down, I’m not sure this guy is going to be some sort of miracle all of a sudden. 

That being said he seems like a rotational player with decent starter upside long term which is a great pick for where they got him. There’s some chance he could be a star but I wouldn’t bet on it and probably not for this season.

So with the shortened fantasy season and a need to start strong, how are people feeling about giving this guy a shot the first few weeks? He's looked like a star in the making through the preseason, but in the last two games he's only getting legit PT and usage once AD and Lebron sit 4th quarter. Plus at least one of the ancillary players (Schroeder tonight) have sat in each of the games, allowing him extra run.

I know as hardcore fantasy ballers we all WANT him to get 24+ min a night and be a top 100 player, but is it realistic? Debating stashing him or Vassell and torn currently lol.

Also, agree with whichever poster above said that this will be a hot thread throughout the year!

I picked him up, as a free bottom of roster addition, and I'll give you my reasons:

1) Lakers 2nd unit scoring

2) Defense

3) Rondo/Bradley's minutes need filling

His long arms give him swiping ability. Defense could keep him on the court. Whether starting or not, he will have to play with the 2nd unit, where he can score. Lakers last season had great difficulty scoring from the second unit. Kuz DID NOT show up in those minutes, and was very shaky.

His key skillset on offense is good pick and roll play with steady control. Here's a good video breaking this down. Basically, he can play well with Trez or any big in the 2nd unit.

THT is not going to light up the world on this team, but he can get 25+ minutes behind Wes Matthews, and could get staggered with starters for his perimeter defense. I could see THT being the designated scorer off the bench. There is a path to relevance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Talen Horton-Tucker 2020-2021 Outlook