NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alec Burks 2020-2021 Outlook

What's his situation looking like in the mess known as the Knicks? Could he generate some under the radar value worthy of shallower leagues or will he be drowned out by Barrett and (who else do they even have playing the 2?) amid Thibs' Rammstein-esque shouts of ICE? Opinions and discussion welcome.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lets also not forget that his wife just gave birth to their child. It's a known, scientific fact that players elevate their game once their child is born. Fred VanVleet is an example. Norm Powell actu

I think no one is going to score for the NYK other than Randle, RJ and him. And with Thibs tendency to trust only a few of his players, I think Burks has a potential to have a career year (or at least

This is a good sign. Already playing 30 min, closed out the game in a damn blowout lol. You can tell the rust was there as he missed a few easy layups. Once he gets into rhythm he'll get those buckets

Posted Images

With Burks playing the 2/3 his role might not be as secure considering NYK's crowded guard rotation and Toppin/Knox serving as wing backup as well.

Had to choose between him and Payton as my final pick and went with Payton even though Burks theoretically fits my punt better. At least with Payton I know he's NYK's best floor general and the minutes should be there for him in a Thibs offense.

• Like 1

His role as one of the starting wings should be fine as we start the season. The NYK really need some floor spacing, which he provides. Starting line-up will probably look something like Elf-RJ-Burks-Randle-Noel. Obi will play most of his minutes at the 4. The position is really Burks' to lose. He doesn't give you the most well-rounded line, but should be good for some scoring, 3s and nice FT%.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, thrilla1nManila said:

Rosterable in 10 teams?

Eh, you can probably wait on it and grab him after he shows production on court.

I'm expecting 30 minutes per game or more, which should put him around:

18ppg, 6rpg, 3.5 assists pg, 1 steal, elite FT% (not elite FG%). I think he's being slept one because he's a 28 year old nobody. His numbers last year were solid and in 25mpg.

Edited by kball09
29 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Eh, you can probably wait on it and grab him after he shows production on court.

I'm expecting 30 minutes per game or more, which should put him around:

18ppg, 6rpg, 3.5 assists pg, 1 steal, elite FT% (not elite FG%). I think he's being slept one because he's a 28 year old nobody. His numbers last year were solid and in 25mpg.

This is really good for a Sg. 

3 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

This is really good for a Sg. 

Agreed. So here's hoping it's reasonable. That's basically taking his warriors numbers from last year and expanding them an additional 7 minutes a game or so. 

image.png.71409a97c6417209ffedd0145a27953b.png

Things never work out that smoothly (especially with the Knicks), but with their weakness at SG and Thibs tendency to run his veterans high minutes, it seems pretty feasible. 

Edited by kball09
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Agreed. So here's hoping it's reasonable. That's basically taking his warriors numbers from last year and expanding them an additional 7 minutes a game or so. 

image.png.71409a97c6417209ffedd0145a27953b.png

Things never work out that smoothly (especially with the Knicks), but with their weakness at SG and Thibs tendency to run his veterans high minutes, it seems pretty feasible. 

Actually ranked 69 overall in 9cat during his time with the Warriors. Might even beat that number this year.

Changed my mind on him to be honest. Thibs + Need for shooting = will handily beat his ADP. I needed scoring so I dropped Pat Will for him.

Just hope he doesn't get traded mid-season. I remember Marcus Morris was a gem on the Knicks last year as well until he got traded.

Edited by Espoiral
  • Like 1

Yeah it seems this guy has been flying under the radar. He really is such a boring and unsexy pick lol. But how can you deny he produced so well for the warriors and seems to be heading towards getting full reign in NY. Boring/unsexy is sometimes gd in fantasy when it’s late picks lol, guaranteed production. I personally love the almost 4 trips to the FT every game.

Edited by IDatDude
  • Like 1

He should carve out a role in the lowly Knicks, no doubt. I bet Thibodeau tightens the rotation and this is one guy capable of producing. Not feeling the Warriors level production as Knicks should play different style, but nice end of the bench guy for fantasy rosters as long as he keeps getting 30 minutes per game.

Lets also not forget that his wife just gave birth to their child. It's a known, scientific fact that players elevate their game once their child is born. Fred VanVleet is an example. Norm Powell actually carried his baby one time and since went on to average 20 ppg for a long stretch. Burks is going to absolutely kill with the Knicks.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, JormaJormala said:

Not feeling the Warriors level production as Knicks should play different style

That's my concern also. Warriors were a smaller run and gun lineup compared to the Knicks, which is why Quickley starting can't come soon enough. His presence alone will spread the floor twice as wide as Payton.

2 hours ago, sharkpotato said:

Lets also not forget that his wife just gave birth to their child. It's a known, scientific fact that players elevate their game once their child is born. Fred VanVleet is an example. Norm Powell actually carried his baby one time and since went on to average 20 ppg for a long stretch. Burks is going to absolutely kill with the Knicks.

Went the other way when Kris Dunn had his 2 years ago!

• Like 1

Small sample size I know but in the 2 preseason games he played his per36 FGA was 15.1 which is similar to his Warriors per36 FGA of 15.8. Thibs is a better coach than Fiz so hopefully they find opportunities to utilize his much needed shooting

He’s a steal at these prices. Burks stats for his career in 99 games with at least 30 min:

16.9 points

4.7 reb

3.6 ast

4.3 FT

38% from 3

44% FG

1.3 threes 

He played Wiggins 34-36 min to get those same numbers. Burks probably Thibs’ Wiggins, if things go well for Burks maybe he plays him the way he did Butler. Not out of the realm of possibility Burks becomes a 20 ppg 6 reb 4 ast guy.

Edited by worldclass
Na
7 hours ago, sharkpotato said:

Got it. Apart from expiring on tracts, "new baby" will be a thing from now. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, IDatDude said:

So if Harden finally knocks up a stripper this season...he’s gonna ascend into a god tier fantasy player?! 

I mean he might've knocked up some strippers the first year he came to Houston and we don't know it.. I can't explain how someone that looks so average and unathletic puts up 34/6/8 on a nightly basis.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, sharkpotato said:

I can't explain how someone that looks so average and unathletic puts up 34/6/8 on a nightly basis.

A 100% usage rate.

I would love to see an NBA team rotate an offense completely around a mid tier player, let's say Levert or something, and see what kind of stats he could put up. Top of the key with 3 shooters and a center, complete green light.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Alec Burks 2020-2021 Outlook