NBC Sports Edge Forums

Sam Hilliard 2021 Outlook

David Dahl is gone from Colorado, which should theoretically open up more ABs for Hilliard, but he's still listed as a platoon guy by RR. 

What's the thought on Hilliard going into 2021? He has tantalizing HR-SB combo potential with 13 and 5 in 201 career PAs, but that K-rate is fugly. 

I am out here. Yes Dahl is gone, but Desmond and Rodgers are back. He does have the nice power speed combo but he just won't hit for average unless he makes major adjustments. It would be a surprise if he hits over .250.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude is going 388 in drafts (up from around 400).  At that point, we're talking about a near last round flier in most leagues.  IF, he ends up the starting CF in Colorado, then he could be gold.  Potential 20/20 guy in the last round.

• Like 1

Fully expect them to bring in Nick Markakis or Brett Gardner to a one year deal.  

It’s rare that you draft players with the hope the manager and GM get fired midseason, but that’s the case with every player on the Rockies but story, Arenado, and Blackmon.  Rockies were also in the bottom half of the league in most offensive categories last year.  They’re massively over rated.  

• Haha 2
On 12/14/2020 at 8:54 PM, En Votto Veritas said:

There's a lot of guys vying for CF, 2B, and 1B in COL: Hilliard, McMahon, Fuentes, Hampson, Rodgers, Desmond... that's a lot of mouths to feed.  I fear the playing time just won't be there to make him worthwhile in all but the deepest leagues.

Does Tapia play CF or LF because what I've read he is FINALLY suppose to be an everyday player in 2021.

again, my optimism is based upon universal DH but the only real CF candidates in that group are Hilliard and Hampson. Ultimately i think it comes down to what they do with Arenado - trade him opens up a spot for Rodgers/McMahon and things just fall into place unless they go another round with Pillar etc. Unfortunately this team has the weirdest player acquisition and deployment strategy, so who knows.

On 12/31/2020 at 3:09 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Does Tapia play CF or LF because what I've read he is FINALLY suppose to be an everyday player in 2021.

He can play all three but saw the vast majority of his time in LF over his career; doesn't look like he's that great a defender.  Fantasy-wise he looks like Alex Verdugo but at no cost.  Could be BA and SB help late in drafts or a good points league bench bat.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

He can play all three but saw the vast majority of his time in LF over his career; doesn't look like he's that great a defender.  Fantasy-wise he looks like Alex Verdugo but at no cost.  Could be BA and SB help late in drafts or a good points league bench bat.

Did this become the Tapia thread? Lol. 

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On 1/29/2021 at 9:38 PM, BCMarch10 said:

Bottom-line this guy has got to cut down on his K%. Ugly. If he doesn't he'll have splinters in his a**.

And here we are -   So far , 2021 doesn't look too promising for Hilliard 🤦‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...

I see Hilliard's stats so far and I know it's the Rockies but WTF is Daza starting over Hilliard vs a RHP?  And Daza is 2 for 2 with a HR so of course keep Hilliard glued to the bench or send him down.  *sigh*