NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Malachi Flynn 2020-2021 Outlook

DiscoNinja33

12 minutes ago, jrmintz said:

Raps seem to be on the outside of the playoff run. The scenario of them shutting down FVV and Lowry is likely. But does that mean OG and Siakim also gets shutdown?

Shutdown is unlikely since there are not injured but load management, yes.

Hmmm, I think I'm gonna tell my boss I have too much work and need time off to management my load

55 minutes ago, jrmintz said:

Raps seem to be on the outside of the playoff run. The scenario of them shutting down FVV and Lowry is likely. But does that mean OG and Siakim also gets shutdown?

Raptors are 2 games out of #10. Playin tournament includes 7-10th seeds of each conference. They still have a reason to play and compete. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jrmintz said:

There is no way they will let Lowry's Raptor career end in shutdown. They suck with him and he is a good mentor on and off the court. Random rest possible but Nurse isn't about that

18 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

There is no way they will let Lowry's Raptor career end in shutdown. They suck with him and he is a good mentor on and off the court. Random rest possible but Nurse isn't about that

Not disagreeing, but, hypothetically, if Lowry was shutdown, would that increase or decrease the odds he resigns with Toronto?

1 hour ago, HispasianTuna said:

Raptors are 2 games out of #10. Playin tournament includes 7-10th seeds of each conference. They still have a reason to play and compete. 

Yeah, this is exactly why I think the Raps with at least try to win a few games before giving up.  

Still, they got basically blown out by a Lakers team without Lebron, AD, Drummond and Harrell.  That would've been a good time to play some of their guys if healthy,  so FVV really must not be THAT close (and he's out tomorrow too) if they are in must-win mode.

Happy with Flynn and what he's producing but his value is obviously tied to Lowry and FVV being out, so the more games the Raptors lose, the better for Flynn.  

4 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Raptors need to just give it up. Even if they do make the play-in, who do they think they are? The “We Believe” Warriors. Pack it up!!!

Do not give up!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lbc88 said:

Is the Raps game vs Cavs really postponed? It’s showing PPD in yahoo. Hoping to get 5 quality games from Flynn this week. 

where did you see that?

9 minutes ago, L3onD said:

where did you see that?

On the little post-it note if you click it shows the games played and schedule. It says @CLE PPD. Weird. 

Kid’s talented, but at the end of the day, he’s the Raptors’ third-string PG. If the Raptors try for a playoff push, they’re not going to shutdown Lowry, and that’s what’s needed for him to get meaningful minutes even for a 14-teamer.

I think his value sinks the moment either FVV or Lowry return. Cause both of those guys have missed time separately this season, and with just 1 guy out, he doesn’t have value.

52 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

Kid’s talented, but at the end of the day, he’s the Raptors’ third-string PG. If the Raptors try for a playoff push, they’re not going to shutdown Lowry, and that’s what’s needed for him to get meaningful minutes even for a 14-teamer.

I think his value sinks the moment either FVV or Lowry return. Cause both of those guys have missed time separately this season, and with just 1 guy out, he doesn’t have value.

He definitely doesn't have much value if Lowry comes back, and likely the same with FVV.  But it's possible he gets more time with FVV back alongside him if he's gotten the attention of Nurse the past few games.  I'm a wait and see what happens when FVV comes back this time.  He's suspended one game so Flynn has at least two more games without FVV.

1 hour ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Yes. Tough break. Looking like Drop Nation!

What? It's one game of poor shooting. 3 threes, 8 assists, and 2 steals is drop city? You might want to hold off on that. He played 35 mins tonight and with every loss the raptors only have more incentive to play him. Just saying.

• Thanks 1

He's a hold until FVV and lowry are back but unfortunately a drop after that. I'm pretty high on him for next year though especially if we decide to ship Lowry out. He can fill it up everywhere. The efficiency needs some work but he's a rookie guard, it happens. 

21 minutes ago, fabrar said:

He's a hold until FVV and lowry are back but unfortunately a drop after that. I'm pretty high on him for next year though especially if we decide to ship Lowry out. He can fill it up everywhere. The efficiency needs some work but he's a rookie guard, it happens. 

Isn't Lowry an unrestricted free agent?  It seems to me that since the Raps didn't ship him out at the deadline they're likely to try to bring him back.  Otherwise, why in the world wouldn't they have already moved him?

44 minutes ago, Sixersfan740 said:

Isn't Lowry an unrestricted free agent?  It seems to me that since the Raps didn't ship him out at the deadline they're likely to try to bring him back.  Otherwise, why in the world wouldn't they have already moved him?

They were being given terrible offers for him, apparently. Not sure what Philly was offering but if Maxey and Thybulle were in the deal, Masai should have taken that.

Heat were offering Duncan Robinson, Achiuwa + filler. D Rob is worthless to us because he’s a RFA, so that’s an insulting offer.

Lakers offer was even worse with Harrell and KCP, neither of whom we want on our team and both of which eat up our cap space for next year.

If Masai had faltered and given into a lowball offer at the last second then GMs would know going forward that they could jerk him around with terrible deals. I think they plan to sign and trade him, as neither Philly nor Miami can sign him outright.

6 minutes ago, QingJames said:

They were being given terrible offers for him, apparently. Not sure what Philly was offering but if Maxey and Thybulle were in the deal, Masai should have taken that.

Heat were offering Duncan Robinson, Achiuwa + filler. D Rob is worthless to us because he’s a RFA, so that’s an insulting offer.

Lakers offer was even worse with Harrell and KCP, neither of whom we want on our team and both of which eat up our cap space for next year.

If Masai had faltered and given into a lowball offer at the last second then GMs would know going forward that they could jerk him around with terrible deals. I think they plan to sign and trade him, as neither Philly nor Miami can sign him outright.

Sign and trade seems like a likely option.