NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Malachi Flynn 2020-2021 Outlook

DiscoNinja33

1 hour ago, Sixersfan740 said:

Isn't Lowry an unrestricted free agent?  It seems to me that since the Raps didn't ship him out at the deadline they're likely to try to bring him back.  Otherwise, why in the world wouldn't they have already moved him?

Masai's asking price was too high and the teams in play - Sixers and Lakers - didn't want to pay it

I would assume you'd be aware of all that given your username but guess not lol 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fabrar said:

Masai's asking price was too high and the teams in play - Sixers and Lakers - didn't want to pay it

I would assume you'd be aware of all that given your username but guess not lol 

I disagree that the asking price was too high. Obviously when he was asking for multiple first round picks, I expect that was so he could negotiate down. But asking for a good young prospect like Herro, Maxey or THT is not asking too much for your franchise’s greatest player and a guy who indisputably helps a contender significantly.

Pretending that KCP and Harrell or Duncan Robinson or Danny Green and Tony Bradley were reasonable offers is laughable.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, QingJames said:

I disagree that the asking price was too high. Obviously when he was asking for multiple first round picks, I expect that was so he could negotiate down. But asking for a good young prospect like Herro, Maxey or THT is not asking too much for your franchise’s greatest player and a guy who indisputably helps a contender significantly.

Pretending that KCP and Harrell or Duncan Robinson or Danny Green and Tony Bradley were reasonable offers is laughable.

Fair enough, I just meant the asking price was deemed too high by Lakers and Sixers management. 

• Like 1

Lowry isn't going anywhere in my opinion.  Eventually he will retire as Raptor and pass the torch to FVV/OG/Siakam in 1-2 years.  Which means that Flynn will have limited value next year.

Lowry's value to any contender is significant, good for my Raptors not to give him away.     Lowry on Lakers   makes them almost 100% guaranteed to  win this year. On Heat or Sixers he would change either of  them from pretenders to contenders. 

Title has a price and you should be willing to pay it

From a recent article published to day...

Adds for all leagues

Malachi Flynn, Raptors (23% rostered)

This might be the big one. Over the past four games, the 22-year-old rookie is averaging 13-6-5 with 3.5 (!) stocks (steals plus blocks) and 2.0 3s. That puts him inside the nine-category top-20 over the past week. If that can continue, even assuming the defense falls off a little, then Flynn is going to be one of the defining pickups of the season. 

So, will it continue? The worst news is that this surge is happening while Kyle Lowry (foot), Fred VanVleet (hip) and Rodney Hood (hip) are sidelined and while some other rotational wings are also in-and-out of the injury report. Lowry, VanVleet and Hood are all expected to return early next week.

But there are some positive signs, too. In the three games before Hood's injury, Flynn was playing 78% of his minutes alongside Hood – meaning they aren't competing for minutes. In the four games before Lowry's injury, Flynn shared the floor with Lowry for roughly half of his minutes, implying that coach Nick Nurse is willing to have the guards share the court together. Finally, in the first game of Flynn's current streak, during which VanVleet suffered his injury early in the third quarter, Flynn was already on track to set a season-high in minutes before VanVleet got hurt.

It appears as though there is room for Flynn to maintain a large workload even as his teammates get healthy. And if the Raptors, currently three games outside of the play-in tournament, ever transition to tanking, then there's going to be a lot fewer games when the stars are "healthy".

Another factor working in Flynn's favor is that his improved productivity is not the result of an increased usage rate. Even if Flynn is able to maintain a large minute load as the stars get healthy, he wouldn't be able to maintain a high usage rate. Fortunately, that's not a problem here, as Flynn's usage rate has remained at just 18.5% through this surge. 

It's almost impossible for Flynn to remain a top-20 per game player once Lowry and VanVleet are back. But it's very possible that he remains an all-leagues starter the rest of the way.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/fantasy-basketball-waiver-wire-week-17-best-players-to-add-include-malachi-flynn-aleksej-pokusevski/

@BossRoss

Thanks for posting that. Personally I don’t believe Flynn will be that good of a play for the rest of this season. While Nurse certainly is comfortable playing him next to Lowry and FVV, that doesn’t mean Flynn is as productive in those minutes. In fact, Flynn has been pretty much a nonentity next to those guys as he primarily plays the offball guard in those lineups, and he’s not very good at it. Next to Lowry it makes sense, as Lowry is more of a true 1. I wish Flynn would play the 1 next to Fred (who is more of a true 2 anyways) but Fred’s ego is too big for that and he’ll want to be the primary ballhandler when Lowry’s off the floor anyways.

hmm tough one. nurse said lowry available tomorrow. currently in midst of playoffs and flynn is my streaming spot, not sure if can risk waiting to see how this pans out. surely at least one more game of value as lowry surely will be limited - career best game today surely they find him mins

Edited by beejay6020

9 minutes ago, 4th and 9ers said:

Been telling anyone willing to listen. Malachi is the real deal!

He’s really solid. It doesn’t matter though. As soon as either Lowry or especially FVV are back, his value will plummet. He gets a lot of his value from assists, being the ball handler - so if his minutes go down to even 20, he won’t have value in 12-teamers or lower.

Next year, with Lowry likely gone, and his role likely becoming more established, he has really high upside. But this year, he’s strictly a very very strong rental.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Apollo_87 said:

He’s really solid. It doesn’t matter though. As soon as either Lowry or especially FVV are back, his value will plummet. He gets a lot of his value from assists, being the ball handler - so if his minutes go down to even 20, he won’t have value in 12-teamers or lower.

Next year, with Lowry likely gone, and his role likely becoming more established, he has really high upside. But this year, he’s strictly a very very strong rental.

This is more or less a lost season for my Raps. These are great developmental opportunities to grow a young player's game like Flynn. Kyle will likely concede primary ball handling duties to Flynn and has played plenty of off-ball with Fred. 

He's better than both Fred and Kyle at the same age.

5 minutes ago, 4th and 9ers said:

This is more or less a lost season for my Raps. These are great developmental opportunities to grow a young player's game like Flynn. Kyle will likely concede primary ball handling duties to Flynn and has played plenty of off-ball with Fred. 

He's better than both Fred and Kyle at the same age.

There’s literally nothing that indicates the Raptors are going to start benching Lowry and FVV when they are healthy. They haven’t been in such a spot for years, and we don’t know if an ‘unleashing’ will actually occur. Remember, this is the same team that has consistently capped Boucher’s minutes. The Raptors play their main guys big minutes, and unless there’s a pattern establish of them resting their guys, his potential is capped.

Also, he has a 2-game week in my league’s first week of the playoffs. So dropping him next week for someone with more games.

There are some indications that FVV and Lowry will get less action. At the moment Raps are resting their main core left and right. The chances of Raps to throw in the towel is getting greater by the day I would say. 

23 hours ago, Apollo_87 said:

Spot on. Glad I swapped him out today.

Lowry (rest from toe infection) and Bembry (hamstring tightness) are out tonight. In today’s presser, Nurse said Fred’s injury doesn’t look good (whatever that means). He also said they’ll be looking to rest Kyle during the busier parts of the remaining schedule.

13 minutes ago, 4th and 9ers said:

🤣

Not sure what you’re laughing about bud. His value fell like a brick when Lowry returned. Lowry was resting today, so he was a great spot start play for today. I had him for 4 games last week and loved his production.

23 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

Not sure what you’re laughing about bud. His value fell like a brick when Lowry returned. Lowry was resting today, so he was a great spot start play for today. I had him for 4 games last week and loved his production.

That you felt the need to quote yourself