NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Yordan Alvarez 2021 Outlook

Ecofolux

46 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Huge boost to his value. 

Minor boost IMO. How big of a difference is the difference between your worst outfielder who you are now benching and the guy who wasn't good enough to start for you but now is.  Might be big for some teams, but overall it's just nice to have more than anything. If you somehow had Yordan + JD or Cruz or something, probably bigger.

2 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

It’s that much more helpful if you have two stud 1B, 2B, 3B or SS and can only start one. It’s not about the OF for everyone so much as it’s huge to get that extra stud bat in your lineup. 

I’m not saying that isn’t true but that’s if your league has no mi/ci and the person you were playing in UT also had to be better than this stud infielder someone is sitting. Very shallow league it seems. It also still matters which outfielder you’re now sitting. 

Its  helpful . You always players to have additional positions. Only seems huge to me if you somehow have JD or Cruz , but I’m guessing not many people in that position on purpose.

It helps in much deeper leagues, especially those with daily lineups. Having one UT spot always full can be restrictive. 

He is in the lineup card in LF again today. That would be No. 10. If he gets 10 more, that absolutely boosts him significantly in a keeper league. Going into a draft or auction with more flexibility really helps. 

1 hour ago, Words said:

It helps in much deeper leagues, especially those with daily lineups. Having one UT spot always full can be restrictive. 

He is in the lineup card in LF again today. That would be No. 10. If he gets 10 more, that absolutely boosts him significantly in a keeper league. Going into a draft or auction with more flexibility really helps. 

In most leagues where 10 got him eligibility, he still needs 20 to retain.  I think he has a good shot to get there if he stays healthy.

I still think it helps more in shallow leagues. In a deep league, you're not going to have a guy remotely as good as Yordan on your bench. In a shallow you might.   Obviously having a position is better than not though.

Edited by brockpapersizer

It will be a huge boost to his draft price next spring, given how discounted DH are on draft day. As far as in season, it isn't a game changer but the flexibility certainly helps. How I will use it is I can move Yordan into an OF slot and put a west coast OF in a UTIL slot, giving me more options to replace them when they get a game off or a postponed game. In H2H that isn't as big a deal but in roto those handful of extra games you get from this may be the difference in a category come the end of the season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

It will be a huge boost to his draft price next spring

His ADP will definitely go up if he retains OF ellig, but that's not really a good thing. You either have him in a keeper/dynasty and you're probably still keeping him or you're paying more in redraft. I guess his trade value goes up, but it's only going up to basically what it should be as it was discounted before.  

I certainly agree getting a position and not being UT only is good for a player. That is very obvious. I just think people overrate it and it's proven yearly. Good UT only guys in draft crush their ADP.  Only thing you have to make sure of is that they hit well.

Vlad is a top 5 player right now if he was UT only. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

His ADP will definitely go up if he retains OF ellig, but that's not really a good thing. You either have him in a keeper/dynasty and you're probably still keeping him or you're paying more in redraft. I guess his trade value goes up, but it's only going up to basically what it should be as it was discounted before.  

Yeah, in redraft you might have been better off without him getting OF eligibility. A redraft roster with Yordan already was built to accommodate him in a UTIL spot and you could get premium BA, HR, RBI production at a deep draft discount because of that. Assuming he gets to 20 OF starts, which he will if he stays healthy, that discount is gone and you will have to pay full price on draft day next year. How high does he go now? 2nd round?

In keeper of course it is an unqualified boon.

On 6/29/2021 at 8:31 PM, brockpapersizer said:

In most leagues where 10 got him eligibility, he still needs 20 to retain.  I think he has a good shot to get there if he stays healthy.

I still think it helps more in shallow leagues. In a deep league, you're not going to have a guy remotely as good as Yordan on your bench. In a shallow you might.   Obviously having a position is better than not though.

I guess it depends on the lineup configuration, too. In a 14-team league with five outfield slots, some teams are going to struggle with outfield depth. In such a situation, having Alvarez gain outfield eligibility when it seemed to be a long shot just a month ago is a big deal. 

By the way, he's in left field again tonight. That is No. 11. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What Brock said above it true; I was hoping he would stay UTIL only to artificially depress his value next season, and I'd happily be all-in on him next year if his ADP stayed around where it was. There's only so many guys they can fit in the top 20, but I suspect Yordan will be in or just outside of it with the added eligibility, which is kind of a bummer. I'm thinking next year he can have the kind of year Vladdy Jr. is now, top 5, despite the lack of steals. Still happy for his dynasty managers.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1

Going on paternity leave, me and a buddy have always found that when a player comes back from Paternity more often than not they rake. Not the scientific method or anything but hope he comes back rested and hits some for lil Yordan or Yordina.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, treyjuice said:

Going on paternity leave, me and a buddy have always found that when a player comes back from Paternity more often than not they rake. Not the scientific method or anything but hope he comes back rested and hits some for lil Yordan or Yordina.

Posey took a whole year off and look at him now...Should be a good week on return.

Posted (edited)

First game back from paternity leave and he’s 3-3 with 5 RBI and no one’s talking about him? The Cody Bellinger thread has more action for him getting a hit? Show the big man some respect!

Edited by Sergeant Arms

The multi-home run game is the biggest positive from that one. His overall numbers are excellent, but I expected more home runs. 

Also, tonight is start No. 12 in left field, for those watching to see if he gets to 20. 

52 minutes ago, Sergeant Arms said:

First game back from paternity leave and he’s 3-3 with 5 RBI and no one’s talking about him? The Cody Bellinger thread has more action for him getting a hit? Show the big man some respect!

Hey, I posted one time about Cody’s hit! 

I also own Yordan. He’s amazing. 

41 minutes ago, Words said:

The multi-home run game is the biggest positive from that one. His overall numbers are excellent, but I expected more home runs. 

Yeah, but the HRs are back after a slow start. He is now up to a 37 HR pace over 162 games after hitting 2 tonight. He had a slow first month of the season (17 HR per 162 pace in March/April) but from May 2-July 1 he was on a 40 HR per 162 pace and that rate probably is up to 45-46 HR after tonight. The numbers will be there at the end. 

7 hours ago, Ace_King said:

Yeah, but the HRs are back after a slow start. He is now up to a 37 HR pace over 162 games after hitting 2 tonight. He had a slow first month of the season (17 HR per 162 pace in March/April) but from May 2-July 1 he was on a 40 HR per 162 pace and that rate probably is up to 45-46 HR after tonight. The numbers will be there at the end. 

Based off this post he should be on a 100 HR pace by the end of the month. 

The infamous baby game strikes again! These dudes need to have more kids if they want more career games. 🤣

• Haha 1