NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yordan Alvarez 2021 Outlook

3 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Steals are a little overrated for a leadoff hitter.  It's been a long time since Ricky Henderson.  Ideally you want someone who gets on base, running is just kind of gravy.

I'm not discounting that Altuve had success against Tampa, but it's 7 games.  The .280 OBP was over 60 games.  It's a sample size issue.  The larger sample size say his on base skills are on a downward slope, which is a real problem for a leadoff hitter (you can't steal first, as they say).

It's possible that last season may have been an aberration because of Covid and he will turn it around.  But I'd say he needs to demonstrate that before we accept it as a given.

You asked "who else could lead off?"  I suggested Brantley because of the onbase skills but they could just as easily go with Tucker or Bregman for instance, the key is just making sure that guy gets on base, not that he runs.

But yes, this is a little afield.  I think in this thread, for our purposes what we're really taking issue with is why Yordan isn't batting cleanup, daggumit.

I believe he was demonstrating it in the playoffs and will probably continue to do so. Anyways, on to Yordan...it's his thread

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On a scale of purple to orange I would say it's roughly at lavender.  

For health and safety reasons of opposing pitchers. 

Again, is there some reason why all the Yordan projections in this thread are limited to pre All-Star break?

Posted Images

Tough stretch of games. On a worry scale of 1-10, Im at a 1. Hes going to take some time to break off the rust and gain that confidence in trusting his body again. Hitting in a great spot in lineup and taking great swings. He’s getting beat with the high fastball and upper 90’s velo. He’ll figure it shortly. 

3 minutes ago, StartYourStuds said:

Tough stretch of games. On a worry scale of 1-10, Im at a 1. Hes going to take some time to break off the rust and gain that confidence in trusting his body again. Hitting in a great spot in lineup and taking great swings. He’s getting beat with the high fastball and upper 90’s velo. He’ll figure it shortly. 

And yet was still productive. He was late on some fastballs down the middle.

I think just like with Corey Seager, who missed significant time in ‘18 and ‘19 due to injuries, there will definitely be some rust to knock off. Hopefully he stays healthy and gets red hot for the playoffs

Yordan is coming of the IL Tuesday. Any chance they let him play the field tomorrow? Seeing Yordan at Coors would be a treat. If they don't let him do that, he won't be back until Thursday when they play the Angels.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Yordan is coming of the IL Tuesday. Any chance they let him play the field tomorrow? Seeing Yordan at Coors would be a treat. If they don't let him do that, he won't be back until Thursday when they play the Angels.

To be honest I think he is just gonna be a PH in those games. I doubt they put him at first and they already said no to OF in the preseason.

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

They are joining the club on Tuesday but not likely to play first day back since he and the others returning have to go through covid intake protocols first. 

• Thanks 2

4 games of Yordan vs the Angels plus 2 pinch hit ABs at Coors Field is better than all of my other options. Welcome back, big fella.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Oh  man, so he doesn’t play in the field anymore so he won’t get a crack at starting at coors? 😟

Not great for his value. But long-term, I would like him to stay healthy this entire year and then maybe give it a go at 1B next season.

He doesn't next play an NL opponent until facing the Padres & Dodgers May 25th to May 30th.

Then...

Giants & Padres July 30th to August 4th

Rockies from August 10th to 11th

Padres from September 3rd to 5th

Diamondbacks from September 17th to 19th

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Not great for his value. But long-term, I would like him to stay healthy this entire year and then maybe give it a go at 1B next season.

He doesn't next play an NL opponent until facing the Padres & Dodgers May 25th to May 30th.

Then...

Giants & Padres July 30th to August 4th

Rockies from August 10th to 11th

Padres from September 3rd to 5th

Diamondbacks from September 17th to 19th

Just so people aren’t confused, the road games after today are Giants & Dodgers 7/30-8/4, and the Padres 9/3-9/5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

He looked extremely comfortable running the bases with some hustle on that bases clearing triple. I think he's still rusty but hopefully he gets red hot in the summer of Yordan and throughout fantasy playoffs to lead our teams to the money

• Like 2
On 4/21/2021 at 10:42 AM, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Just so people aren’t confused, the road games after today are Giants & Dodgers 7/30-8/4, and the Padres 9/3-9/5

Awesome sauce, won't have to worry about interleague in the NL until later in the year and won't likely affect fantasy playoffs.