NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yordan Alvarez 2021 Outlook

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For health and safety reasons of opposing pitchers. 

On a scale of purple to orange I would say it's roughly at lavender.  

Again, is there some reason why all the Yordan projections in this thread are limited to pre All-Star break?

Posted Images

Hopefully it is just a reaction to getting his second dose of vaccine. If so, he should be back in a day or two. If it is do to contact tracing again, he needs to stay in his hotel more often. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Ace_King said:

On the 10-day IL. Maybe he has Covid-19 himself now.

Weird, I know it's possible to contract the other variants when you had already gotten it before, I thought the Astro players had at least gotten their first dose. I hope he just is feeling under the weather with his second dose?? My arm was killing me for a day and a half with just my first dose.

2 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Weird, I know it's possible to contract the other variants when you had already gotten it before, I thought the Astro players had at least gotten their first dose. I hope he just is feeling under the weather with his second dose?? My arm was killing me for a day and a half with just my first dose.

Altuve had it last time. I didn't hear anything about Yordan getting it. It takes two weeks after the second dose to get the full effect so he may not be there and even then you can still get it, the vaccine just dramatically reduces your odds of getting it and almost certainly prevents cases requiring hospitalization.

Baker's comments https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/yordan-alvarez-health-update.html?__twitter_impression=trues suggest he is sick. If it were vaccination side effects he would have said it. The best case is Yordan is just sick, they kept him out as a precaution and used the Covid-19 IL as a way to get a replacement player. Does he have to stay on it for the full 10 days if it is for Covid-19 reasons?

Edited by Ace_King
42 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Altuve had it last time. I didn't hear anything about Yordan getting it. It takes two weeks after the second dose to get the full effect so he may not be there and even then you can still get it, the vaccine just dramatically reduces your odds of getting it and almost certainly prevents cases requiring hospitalization.

Baker's comments https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/yordan-alvarez-health-update.html?__twitter_impression=trues suggest he is sick. If it were vaccination side effects he would have said it. The best case is Yordan is just sick, they kept him out as a precaution and used the Covid-19 IL as a way to get a replacement player. Does he have to stay on it for the full 10 days if it is for Covid-19 reasons?

What’s weird is that this is the second time this year placed on it and he already had covid last year. Hopefully you are righty, jd martinez caught a cold and was put on the covid il for just one day. 

Edited by Picard56
  • Like 1

Flu like symptoms used to be the official “hungover” designation. Now it’s Covid like symptoms and they can IL for a 1 day or 2 to take advantage. Don’t you kid me and think the Astros (and others) won’t take advantage all year. It’s not bad for fantasy since you can stash on IL on days they “covid like symptoms”. But mostly annoying. That said, it’s sounds like he really did get the 24 hour flu and got a a couple days of rest. Hopefully that’s it

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

Flu like symptoms used to be the official “hungover” designation. Now it’s Covid like symptoms and they can IL for a 1 day or 2 to take advantage. Don’t you kid me and think the Astros (and others) won’t take advantage all year. It’s not bad for fantasy since you can stash on IL on days they “covid like symptoms”. But mostly annoying. That said, it’s sounds like he really did get the 24 hour flu and got a a couple days of rest. Hopefully that’s it

Gonna be hard for them to take advantage of it mid summer cause roughly 70% has gotten at least their first vaccine or are fully vaccinated. But for the tine being seems like they are taking advantage of it. Or he could of really just gotten the flu

6 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Gonna be hard for them to take advantage of it mid summer cause roughly 70% has gotten at least their first vaccine or are fully vaccinated. But for the tine being seems like they are taking advantage of it. Or he could of really just gotten the flu

or he could have have swallowed the worm

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

If he has a "flu game" type performance tomorrow we can call him Michael Yordan.

Jokes on you I already call him that.

• Haha 1

Anyone worried about the lack of power? I was thinking it may take him time to shake off the rust but he's hitting .300 it's just that the 3 HR aren't what we need.

I looked into it a bit more and he's hitting roughly the same amount of fly balls, and launch angle is the same. He's striking out at about the same rate too. It's just that his exit velocity on FBs and LDs is 93mph ... good for 185th for batters with a minimum of 25 BBE.

He seemingly has power to spare but the repaired patellar tendon wouldn't cause him to lose power would it? Hoping he just needs to get his legs and rhythm under him to really start mashing the ball

16 hours ago, 5catstud said:

Anyone worried about the lack of power? I was thinking it may take him time to shake off the rust but he's hitting .300 it's just that the 3 HR aren't what we need.

I looked into it a bit more and he's hitting roughly the same amount of fly balls, and launch angle is the same. He's striking out at about the same rate too. It's just that his exit velocity on FBs and LDs is 93mph ... good for 185th for batters with a minimum of 25 BBE.

He seemingly has power to spare but the repaired patellar tendon wouldn't cause him to lose power would it? Hoping he just needs to get his legs and rhythm under him to really start mashing the ball

You rang!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm not sure anyone truly realizes what we are witnessing right before our eyes.  The level of play that Yordan is exhibiting is hall of fame type shiz.  I saw some stats the other day (the numbers are even better as of today) and put something together to just to put his short 114 game career performance into perspective.  Just a few tidbits here.

Fewest games to 100 RBIS for DH all-time

Yordan Alvarez - 114

Victor Martinez - 152

Evan Gattis - 157 

Frank Thomas - 158

Edwin Encarnacion - 165

Yordan Alvarez Averages This Season

vs Lefties - .340

vs Righties - .340

vs Fastball - .310

vs Offspeed - .458

vs High - .500

vs Middle - 368

vs Low - .273!

First 114 Career Games

Yordan Alvarez -Hits 133, RBI 100, AVG .318, OPS 1.044

TED WILLIAMS - Hits 140, RBI 106, AVG .315, OPS .973

Yordan is putting up video game numbers and no one even realizes it.  MAN IS A BEAST with the bat.  Im begging for some 1B or OF eligibility at some point in his career.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1