NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Offseason Closer Thread

Figured with this move it was a good time to start this thread. Two big impacts here:

1. Montero becomes the clear cut closer in Seattle. He's been dominant the past two seasons out of the bullpen and looks like he can be a quality closer. Getting him out of Texas locks him into a closer role versus in Texas where Leclerc was still looming. Passan notes they could still be looking for another reliever, so that would be the one thing to watch.

2. Speaking of Leclerc, this move could be considered a vote of confidence from the front office in support of Leclerc. There are no other strong options in the Texas pen, so barring a signing, Leclerc is the guy. He is coming off a significant shoulder injury, but all accounts seemed to point to him being healthy for the beginning of the season. Also consider the possibility of a delayed start and he's more likely to start the year in the closer's role.

• Like 3
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ill take a stab: Arizona Diamondbacks - Unclear.  Crichton/Soria/Devinski/Ginkel.  Total guess. I lean Crichton for first shot.  Bukaskas wild card.  May be the smart play Atlanta Braves -

Last stab.  These are just my opinions based on months of research and reading the tea leaves.  I've filtered ADP to only include March drafts.  My spelling will also be atrocious.  Guys can get trade

Ranking closers has been especially difficult this year with so many jobs still up for grabs this late in the game. Here's my attempt to rank them for traditional saves only roto leagues: 1. Liam

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

Figured with this move it was a good time to start this thread. Two big impacts here:

1. Montero becomes the clear cut closer in Seattle. He's been dominant the past two seasons out of the bullpen and looks like he can be a quality closer. Getting him out of Texas locks him into a closer role versus in Texas where Leclerc was still looming. Passan notes they could still be looking for another reliever, so that would be the one thing to watch.

2. Speaking of Leclerc, this move could be considered a vote of confidence from the front office in support of Leclerc. There are no other strong options in the Texas pen, so barring a signing, Leclerc is the guy. He is coming off a significant shoulder injury, but all accounts seemed to point to him being healthy for the beginning of the season. Also consider the possibility of a delayed start and he's more likely to start the year in the closer's role.

Jonathan Hernandez says hello. LeClerc did get paid though

Leclerc needs to Show control in ST or he won’t even start season in the role

All things being equal I do think he gets first crack...then blows it in all likelihood 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Jonathan Hernandez says hello. LeClerc did get paid though

Leclerc needs to Show control in ST or he won’t even start season in the role

All things being equal I do think he gets first crack...then blows it in all likelihood 

Hernandez is okay. He had a solid short season last year. He also hasn't had an ERA under 3.6 since 2015 in Rookie ball. I would think Leclerc will get a decent leash ahead of him.

• Like 1

It’s Hader, Chapman, and Iglesias now.  Everyone else is a dart throw.  Jansen Diaz and karinchak are probably locked in their roles but hardly guarantees.  Rp is very difficult to predict now with so many free agents capable of closing and so many teams will to trade Rp.

Rangers will hand the job to LeClerc but he’s been volatile.  Mariners are still shopping for guys so I wouldn’t crown Montero yet.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Magoo said:

What has Diaz done since he came to NY to give him the outright role? His price is ludicrous this year. Barely came down. Pass

I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't open the year as the closer given his 2020 season numbers look good (except for 14 BB in 25.2 IP...yikes) and he ended the season as closer. 50 Ks will keep his price high until we hear otherwise about his role.

On 12/16/2020 at 7:59 AM, kidtwentytwo said:

It’s Hader, Chapman, and Iglesias now.  Everyone else is a dart throw

I think wherever Hendriks ends up, he is locked in as he will be paid a high dollar amount to be the closer.  Also, Pressley in Houston seems pretty safe as well

I also would not sleep on the real fact that Hader could very well be traded.  Brewers have a lot of holes to fill, and not a lot of money.  He would be the only thing they can move to get anything of real value.  The emergence of Devin Williams makes this a very real possibility.  

Edited by TheTruth024
  • Like 1
On 12/16/2020 at 10:55 PM, Magoo said:

What has Diaz done since he came to NY to give him the outright role? His price is ludicrous this year. Barely came down. Pass

This past season he had 50 K's in 25 innings, a 1.75 ERA and 1.25 WHIP with a 3.57 K/BB ration.  I'd take him for the 2 to 1 K to inning ration alone.  The 1.75 ERA is icing and makes the 1.25 WHIP good enough.  I'd love to own him in every league.

40 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

This past season he had 50 K's in 25 innings, a 1.75 ERA and 1.25 WHIP with a 3.57 K/BB ration.  I'd take him for the 2 to 1 K to inning ration alone.  The 1.75 ERA is icing and makes the 1.25 WHIP good enough.  I'd love to own him in every league.

I'm talking about the role.  Everyone knows the numbers. He's shaky in the 9th inning in NYC.  And that's exactly why they won't name him or commit:  It messes with his head.  

He's got to show some stability there before it's him and him alone.

I don't doubt they will try to give him most of the chances.  I would much rather bet on a buy low like Taylor Rogers than pay retail (and a higher price than last year mind you) for a headcase.  I'm not looking for risk/reward in a top 3 closer.

22 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't open the year as the closer given his 2020 season numbers look good (except for 14 BB in 25.2 IP...yikes) and he ended the season as closer. 50 Ks will keep his price high until we hear otherwise about his role.

Isn't that tweet I quoted "otherwise"?

57 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Isn't that tweet I quoted "otherwise"?

I interpreted the tweet as nothing more than coach-speak aka saying something while pretty much saying nothing (Diaz a late-inning guy? You don't say!) I totally get Rojas not wanting to commit to anyone in December, but everything we've seen from last season indicates it's his job to lose. I guess "otherwise" in my scenario is someone else being named closer/co-closer.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

I interpreted the tweet as nothing more than coach-speak aka saying something while pretty much saying nothing (Diaz a late-inning guy? You don't say!) I totally get Rojas not wanting to commit to anyone in December, but everything we've seen from last season indicates it's his job to lose. I guess "otherwise" in my scenario is someone else being named closer/co-closer.

Why even say it then? Why not just say Diaz is my closer? There’s a reason for that..

3 hours ago, TheTruth024 said:

Because Trevor May is better than people think

May gives the Mets a legitimate option to back up Diaz. Familia hasn't regained his form, and Lugo seems primed for the fireman / 6th SP role (depending on other transactions). But if I had to guess who would get the best chance for saves in the Mets bullpen if Diaz falters, I would go May. He's a top 10, maybe top 5 handcuff / holds guy IMO.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

May gives the Mets a legitimate option to back up Diaz. Familia hasn't regained his form, and Lugo seems primed for the fireman / 6th SP role (depending on other transactions). But if I had to guess who would get the best chance for saves in the Mets bullpen if Diaz falters, I would go May. He's a top 10, maybe top 5 handcuff / holds guy IMO.

Don't forget or count out Betances.  Dude was legit one of the most dominant RPs every season he's played (2014-2018).  Injured in 2019 and 2020, only 32, and is an afterthought for most folks this season.  Look for 60+ IP, ERA under 3, WHIP under 1.2, strong Ks, a ton of HLDs, and the possibility for saves as well.

1 hour ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Don't forget or count out Betances.  Dude was legit one of the most dominant RPs every season he's played (2014-2018).  Injured in 2019 and 2020, only 32, and is an afterthought for most folks this season.  Look for 60+ IP, ERA under 3, WHIP under 1.2, strong Ks, a ton of HLDs, and the possibility for saves as well.

He was healthy last year for stretches. The stuff is gone. Unless it magically comes back, he's going to be an afterthought. Will be interesting to see how he looks in Spring but I'm not too confident. His velocity was down a full 5 MPH from 2018 last two years. Hard to reverse that.

Edited by Sidearmer
edit
  • 4 weeks later...

An attempt to piece together the closer situation in early January.

Notable Free Agents-

Hendricks, Yates, Colome, Greene, Hand, Bradley, Osuna, Workman, Melancon, Soria, Romo, Bass, Kintzler, Jeffress, Doolittle, Rosenthal

Current closer predictions-

Bal - Harvey/Valdez

Bos- Barnes (FA landing spot)

NYY - Chapman

Tor - Romano (prime FA landing spot)

Tb - Committee Fairbanks/Anderson/Castillo

Min - Rogers, Duffey (talk of comittee)

Det - Garcia/Soto

CWS - (Likely a Free Agent) - Bummer/Marshall

KC - Holland, Hahn ended season as closer

Cle - Karinchak

LAA - Iglesias

Hou - Pressley

Sea - Montero

Tex - LeClerc

Oak - Open competition, talk of Diekman.  watch for Wendelken

Atl - Smith/Martin (I expect another FA)

Mia - possible FA.  Mattingly endorsed Garcia.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article247974495.html

NYM - Diaz

Was - Rainey (FA landing spot)

Phi - Neris

CHC- Kimbrel

Mil - Hader

STL - open (FA, Reyes, Hicks, Gallegos, Miller)

Pitt - Rodriguez but talk of a committee

Cin - open (Garrett, Antone, Sims)

LAD - Jansen

SF - open (Moronta, Rogers, Wislet, FA)

Col - Bard

SD - open (FA, Pagan, Pomeranz)

Arz - open (Cricton, Mella, Ginkel)

• Like 9
1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

An attempt to piece together the closer situation in early January.

Notable Free Agents-

Hendricks, Yates, Colome, Greene, Hand, Bradley, Osuna, Workman, Melancon, Soria, Romo, Bass, Kintzler, Jeffress, Doolittle, Rosenthal

Current closer predictions-

Bal - Harvey/Valdez - I have Tanner Scott in the mix and well

Bos- Barnes (FA landing spot) agreed

NYY - Chapman agreed

Tor - Romano (prime FA landing spot) agreed

Tb - Committee Fairbanks/Anderson/Castillo Anderson still a .5 closer and could get more.  

Min - Rogers, Duffey (talk of committee) Agreed

Det - Garcia/Soto I have Soto.  No way Garcia holds the role.

CWS - (Likely a Free Agent) - Bummer/Marshall Could also be Foster or Heuer too but almost a lock they sign a closer.  I think Hand or Colome depending on who takes less.

KC - Holland, Hahn ended season as closer Barlow too.  Pretty clear will stay a committee too

Cle - Karinchak Agreed

LAA - Iglesias Agreed

Hou - Pressley Agreed

Sea - Montero Agreed

Tex - LeClerc Agreed

Oak - Open competition, talk of Diekman.  watch for Wendelken I have Trivino as the best bet.  Weems the darkhorse.

Atl - Smith/Martin (I expect another FA)  Agreed

Mia - possible FA.  Mattingly endorsed Garcia.  Ng went out of her way to they likely are not looking for a closer as far as bullpen.  Garcia looks like a pretty good bet now.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article247974495.html

NYM - Diaz Agreed

Was - Rainey (FA landing spot) Did they say Rainey has it in any way?

Phi - Neris Alvardo lurking now.  Same for Bogdon

CHC- Kimbrel Agreed

Mil - Hader Agreed

STL - open (FA, Reyes, Hicks, Gallegos, Miller) Hicks if healthy and with control.  Cabrera another darkhorse. I know Gallegos was hurt but I don't get the closer spec love at all as far as the tea leaves go.

Pitt - Rodriguez but talk of a committee Agreed

Cin - open (Garrett, Antone, Sims) Hard to bet against Garrett

LAD - Jansen There's been murmers than Jansen has to earn it and the leash is short.  DND above 150 for me.

SF - open (Moronta, Rogers, Wislet, FA) Agreed

Col - Bard Agreed

SD - open (FA, Pagan, Pomeranz) Agreed

Arz - open (Cricton, Mella, Ginkel) Agreed

Great list.  Added my thoughts.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Magoo said:

Great list.  Added my thoughts.

Agreed, great list!  What do you guys think of the situation in Cincy.  Both Garrett and Sims have been great, with both making substantial improvements in 2020.  Garrett says he wants to close but currently he's the only lefty in their bullpen.  Just wondering if you guys had any insight on how you think this situation will pan out as I like both guys and think they can be potential bargains on draft day.

What are the chances Atlanta goes with Smith as the closer? 

And how do folks believe the SD situation will shake out. Pom might be a solid option, but it’s hard to know for sure. And a team with WS aspirations likely want an experienced closer...I’d guess. 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

What are the chances Atlanta goes with Smith as the closer? 

And how do folks believe the SD situation will shake out. Pom might be a solid option, but it’s hard to know for sure. And a team with WS aspirations likely want an experienced closer...I’d guess. 

Beat writer said IF no FA closer it will more likely be a Smith/Martin committee. Could arguably lean Martin since Smith was bad last year.

Pagan 2/3 of role if no FA signing.  Pomeranz is being massively overdrafted relatively speaking.

• Like 1

Regarding Rainey in Washington, from Jeff Zimmerman’s mining the news article on FG:

• The Nationals will consider using Tanner Rainey as their closer.

Rainey, 28, had a breakout 2020 season. He posted a 2.66 ERA, 0.738 WHIP and 14.2 strikeouts per nine innings in 20 appearances, while leading the Nationals’ relievers in opponents’ batting average (.119) and on-base percentage (.213). Rainey made so much progress in his third Major League season, manager Dave Martinez said in September, “We’re looking at potentially our future closer.”

📈📈

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Beat writer said IF no FA closer it will more likely be a Smith/Martin committee. Could arguably lean Martin since Smith was bad last year.

Pagan 2/3 of role if no FA signing.  Pomeranz is being massively overdrafted relatively speaking.

And there are definitely some FAs still out there...Hendricks, Colome, Hand and others.