NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 Offseason Closer Thread

Sidearmer

7 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Doubling their 60 game stats as representation of a 162 game season makes sense in your head? 

Given they are projected for about 45-50ish saves, yes.  You can't always scale up exact since in a shortened season you get a lot of variance that you won't see over 162 games.  If you think Rays will have 60+ saves potentially though, then my estimates would look low.

But I scaled to a rough projection on likely saves, which is why I did it that way.

Edited by Hellgrammite

1 hour ago, MissingLink said:

Anyone know what is going on with Detroit? Saves will be sparce but will it be Soto or Garcia?

They announced they don't have a set role yet but plan on deciding on one at some point during the season.

19 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

He is behind nick

Says one beat writer speculating...Listenin to the GM on Sirius XM ..he went on and on about Clase...as did Tito...we'll see...cream rises...

6 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

1 beat writer and literally every closer chart in existence..time will tell

Clase wants it..hes outspoken about it and throws 106... we shall see

24 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Great stuff for sure, but you don’t think that James or Nick want “IT” as well?...lol

O they want it! But only one can KEEP IT...CLASE...

Keep it so so Clase *chef kiss* 👩‍🍳

Edited by dfstout

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

Ranking closers has been especially difficult this year with so many jobs still up for grabs this late in the game. Here's my attempt to rank them for traditional saves only roto leagues:

1. Liam Hendricks - not much to say, elite closer on a good team.

2. Josh Hader - stud closer, should have plenty of leash. I'm fading Devin Williams but if I drafted Hader, I'd consider handcuffing with Williams.

3. Edwin Diaz - Chapman and Diaz are very close, but I give Diaz a slight edge due to youth and strikeout upside

4. Aroldis Chapman - still a beast, but I worry a bit about his elbow breaking down

5. Raisel Iglesias - should have plenty of leash, k rate has been increasing and bb rate has been declining last 3 years

6. Ryan Pressly - not quite elite, but one of my favorite targets this year since I don't like using a top 6 pick on a closer

7. Kenley Jansen - he's looked really solid this spring and the Dodgers should win 100+ games

8. Trevor Rosenthal - his prior injury and control issues are a little concerning, but he has elite upside

9. Will Smith - there's a chance Chris Martin gets some save chances, but Smith is back to throwing the ball like he did in 2019 and the Braves are going to win a lot of games. I'd handcuff with Martin to be safe.

10. Craig Kimbrel - this high of a ranking will get some groans, but I think his stuff is still there and he should still have some leash

11. Justin Romano - he's not the confirmed closer, but I believe he'll get the job and run with it 

12. Amir Garrett - also not confirmed to be closer yet, but there's enough upside here to get me excited

13. Greg Holland - his stuff looked much sharper last year and he looks good again this spring.

14. Anthony Bass - I'm probably the high man on Bass but I think he does a solid job this year closing out games for a team that generates a lot of save chances

15. Dan Bard - also an aggressive ranking, but his stuff looks great and shouldn't have any competition

16. Brad Hand - he's looked bad this spring and his velo is down again. I'm concerned he falls off a cliff soon and when he loses a tick or two in velocity he gets hammered. I have zero shares.

17. Rafael Montero - he's not very flashy but there isn't much competition for saves

18. James Karinchak - now we enter into the land of undecided closer roles. I'm fading Karinchak as I think Wittgren ends of in the 9th, but he has #1 closer upside if given the role exclusively. Please handcuff with Wittgren if you're taking him!

19. Alex Colome - I'm not sure what to make of the 9th inning gig in Minny but my money is on a 65:35 split with Colome getting more saves than Rogers

20. Jake McGee - this is probably the highest you'll see McGee ranked, but I think he gets the most saves in San Fran (even though Kapler gonna Kapler).

21. Hector Neris - Neris, Alvarado, and Bradley have all looked solid this spring, but I think Neris emerges victorious with the 9th inning gig

22. Emilio Pagan - beat writers have been hinting Pagan will get 1st shot at the 9th and I agree. The problem is I'm not sure he's good enough to run with it and there's plenty of competition lurking

23. Matt Barnes - I've never been a Barnes guy. I guess he could run with the job, but insert queasy emoji 

24. Pete Fairbanks/Diego Castillo - flip a coin and hope for the best?

25. Jordan Hicks - the 9th inning gig in St. Louis should be quite valuable but I have no idea who emerges. Alex Reyes is my favorite dark horse candidate.

26. Ian Kennedy - eh, not much upside here, but I think he gets announced as closer in the next couple of days unless Matt Bush attempts to run him over in the parking lot.

27. Richard Rodriguez - I suppose I have to rank him somewhere. The truth is I think he's better suited for facing the left-handed parts of lineups. Even if he does well, he's getting traded. Pittsburgh has some interesting arms in the backend if and when he gets dealt. 

28. Joakim Soria - I have a hard time getting excited about Soria or any other arm in this bullpen. Their best arm  (Bukauskas) has already been shipped to the minors to work on his defense

29. Tanner Scott/Cesar Valdez - I think there's some upside here in the winner of the 9th inning battle

30. Detroit's closer - the fantasy community is waiting with bated breath for the announcement of who gets the 9th inning gig in Detroit.

Others of note:

Devin Williams - I don't like drafting setup guys in standard weekly roto formats, but if something were to happen to Hader he could be the #1 closer. I have concerns about his injury history. He's got the best changeup in the history of the world. 

Nick Wittgren - I think he gets the first save opportunity in Cleveland with Karinchak and Clase in the "fireman" roles. Whether he can hang onto it all year is TBD.

Dang. I’m gonna have to print this out and pin it to the wall for my draft today. Great ranking. Thanks for putting that together

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Dang. I’m gonna have to print this out and pin it to the wall for my draft today. Great ranking. Thanks for putting that together

Only changes I see are crick and ottavino right now. Without getting into the rankings.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

1 minute ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Crick?..what for?

Been following the Pitt closer situation, there was a quote about how they are more comfortable with Richard rodriguez in a set up role. And he hadn’t had the best spring either. I think he’s their best reliever but the tea leaves are pointing elsewhere right now.

2 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Been following the Pitt closer situation, there was a quote about how they are more comfortable with Richard rodriguez in a set up role. And he hadn’t had the best spring either. I think he’s their best reliever but the tea leaves are pointing elsewhere right now.

Crick has had a very solid spring FWIW...not sure where his velocity stands compared to past healthy seasons - read a couple articles about not being sure of Rodriguez’s role also..guess it is possible Crick could get a shot at closing games, but that seems very up in the air at the moment