NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Offseason Closer Thread

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ill take a stab: Arizona Diamondbacks - Unclear.  Crichton/Soria/Devinski/Ginkel.  Total guess. I lean Crichton for first shot.  Bukaskas wild card.  May be the smart play Atlanta Braves -

Last stab.  These are just my opinions based on months of research and reading the tea leaves.  I've filtered ADP to only include March drafts.  My spelling will also be atrocious.  Guys can get trade

Ranking closers has been especially difficult this year with so many jobs still up for grabs this late in the game. Here's my attempt to rank them for traditional saves only roto leagues: 1. Liam

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Are the Giants just going by committee or is there a lead dog there?

No confirmation, just people speculating that Jake McGee is the guy. He’s been lights out this spring but it’s Gabe Kapler so 🤷‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, TribeFoo said:

Both CIN and DET have announced there won't be a set closer to start the season.

😒

I feel like this emoji is going to sum up most closer situations this year

Edited by 89Topps
10 hours ago, Baseball Batman said:

Happened once in 25 years, because of very special circumctances, when the Yankees were not making the playoffs and their closer was going to become a free agent.
So how does this correlate?
You say the Yankees won't make the playoffs and Chapman's contract will miraculously expire this year? Or they are about to do something they didn't do in a quarter century?
If you have information, please share.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JCD said:

So how does this correlate?
You say the Yankees won't make the playoffs and Chapman's contract will miraculously expire this year? Or they are about to do something they didn't do in a quarter century?
If you have information, please share.

I think the correlation is the part where you literally said “yankees don’t trade closers”, which they actually did.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I own Pagan...it seems like a lot of people are jumping on his ship, but I don't have a great feeling about the San Diego situation.

I'm really surprised by the lack of concrete news about this situation.  I noticed that Pomeranz was pitching again.  Good team...cloudy situation.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Coach George said:

I own Pagan...it seems like a lot of people are jumping on his ship, but I don't have a great feeling about the San Diego situation.

I'm really surprised by the lack of concrete news about this situation.  I noticed that Pomeranz was pitching again.  Good team...cloudy situation.

People are on Pagan because the beat writers have been on him for the entirety of Spring Training. They could be wrong, but it's easily the best info we have to go on. Seems unlikely a formal announcement is coming.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

In fairness, that was one of the best trades the Yankees have made this century.  Up there with getting Voit for free, probably better. 

Cub fan here Brock - I'd do that trade 100/100 times as well on our side & we knew that Torres was going to be a pretty special player.  Without a closer the caliber of Chapman, they don't win the World Series.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
5 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Cub fan here Brock - I'd do that trade 100/100 times as well on our side & we knew that Torres was going to be a pretty special player.  Without a closer the caliber of Chapman, they don't win the World Series.

I never said it was a bad trade for the Cubs. Any trade that leads to a championship is always "no regrets". Always. Worked out great for both teams.

Just saying getting a good franchise SS with 7  years of control for half a season of a reliever who you're going to get back in free agency. Not to mention the Yankees got Chapman for free from the Reds

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
Just now, brockpapersizer said:

I never said it was a bad trade for the Cubs 

Yep - sure didn't;  it was a fantastic trade for the Yanks as they knew Chapman's preference was to resign with them in the offseason.

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I never said it was a bad trade for the Cubs. Any trade that leads to a championship is always "no regrets". Always. Worked out great for both teams.

Just saying getting a good franchise SS with 7  years of control for half a season of a reliever who you're going to get back in free agency. Not to mention the Yankees got Chapman for free from the Reds

Yes - to be fair, at the time Chapman had the looming domestic violence incident & potential ramifications stemming from that & why he wasn't in a Dodgers uniform instead.

11 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Yes - to be fair, at the time Chapman had the looming domestic violence incident & potential ramifications stemming from that & why he wasn't in a Dodgers uniform instead.

Yeah well the Reds gave up on him because of the DV, and two teams benefitted on it and nobody cared. Should have at least waited and got Torres.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Or a Red Sox uniform either.  They were going full on to get him until then then decided to go for Kimbrell instead.

19 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Yeah well the Reds gave up on him because of the DV, and two teams benefitted on it and nobody cared. Should have at least waited and got Torres.

Besides the Dodgers and Red Sox organizations I would guess most of America cares about domestic violence and abhors it. 

4 minutes ago, fbplayer03 said:

Will he close? 

Pirates are going to suck and he's gotta leap frog several people. He is a solid dynasty add or SV/HLD league. Not really a priority in 5X5. Let the season play out and watch list him at best right now.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Pirates are going to suck and he's gotta leap frog several people. He is a solid dynasty add or SV/HLD league. Not really a priority in 5X5. Let the season play out and watch list him at best right now.

ratio boosters are always welcome in roto leagues

I'm keeping an eye on bednar in my 10 teamer just for that reason

21 hours ago, 89Topps said:

😒

I feel like this emoji is going to sum up most closer situations this year

I’m in a holds league and refuse to pay big money high or draft pick to take a closer, but Chapman fell into my lap last year and I’m keeping him.

I’ve always done fairly well just ignoring save and focusing on handcuffs with k/9 and WHIP ratios.

• Like 1

Is he or isn't he:

According to Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com, the Red Sox are working to determine if Matt Barnes had a false positive test for COVID-19.

Barnes received a positive result on Friday after being tested on Thursday. He's been asymptomatic and Red Sox manager Alex Cora said Barnes is surprised he tested positive. Eight other people -- including reliever Matt Andriese -- are in contact tracing protocol right now, but they could be cleared to return sooner depending on how things turn out. If Barnes isn't ready on time, odds are Adam Ottavino will be the top option for saves in Boston's bullpen.

Source: MassLive.com             Mar 29, 2021, 2:07 PM ET

As a Boston fan I have never been a Barnes fan.  Guy can look great one game and totally suck the next.  Always has lacked consistency.  But from a human level I hope it was a false positive.  Either way I'd like to see Ottavino have a chance to close instead.  Barnes is not a good "spotlight on me" pitcher and would be better back in the more mellow role of a set-up guy.

• Like 1

LeClerc cooked

Jose Leclerc will undergo Tommy John surgery.

The Rangers had previously revealed that Leclerc was expected to be sidelined for an extended period of time, and now we know that it's going to be Tommy John surgery. He will likely be on the shelf at least until around June of 2022, if all goes well. The Rangers appear poised to go with a combination of Matt Bush and/or Ian Kennedy at closer for now, with Joely Rodriguez (ankle) factoring into the mix when he returns.