NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Offseason Closer Thread

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ill take a stab: Arizona Diamondbacks - Unclear.  Crichton/Soria/Devinski/Ginkel.  Total guess. I lean Crichton for first shot.  Bukaskas wild card.  May be the smart play Atlanta Braves -

Last stab.  These are just my opinions based on months of research and reading the tea leaves.  I've filtered ADP to only include March drafts.  My spelling will also be atrocious.  Guys can get trade

Ranking closers has been especially difficult this year with so many jobs still up for grabs this late in the game. Here's my attempt to rank them for traditional saves only roto leagues: 1. Liam

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, jb_power said:

keep a sharp eye on J.B. Bukauskas in Arz

This.

This is the guy I've been targeting.  Has the pedigree (1st rd pick) and has been lights out (14k/0bb).  The dbacks could dback and name someone else, but when all is said and done I think he's the closer and ends the season in that position.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Magoo said:

Full-blown committee. Tea leaves have been here for a while but what is interesting about this is most presumed in the last month that it would be Wittgren (probably because they were only thinking Karinchak / Wittgren and used the unthinking "keep the price down for arbitration" position for Karinchak (stupid and speculative).

In my mind this news is REALLY good for Clase who people have been sleeping on. I'm betting on Clase because:

1) No BB this spring (control similar to Wittgren and obviously waaaay better than Karinchak)

2) Has been the most vocal about wanting role (Garrett narrative)

3) Doesn't profile as a multi-inning guy like Wittgren

4) Closed in minors

I'm not saying he's the favorite at the moment - - but rather there is no good reason to think Wittgren is either based on everything to date.  And you could have (probably too late now) gotten Clase 200 picks later.

My favorite closer stash to start the season.  Will be really interesting to see this play out.

Gotta say, THIS is the benefit of this board. I took Wittgren ROUNDS after the guy who took Karinchak based on what I read here

image.png.b002a93d2b854d9350d25902284d3e63.png

Glancing at Neris' stats it seems like he rotates between good years and bad years and guess what.....he had a bad year last year :).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't count on Neris keeping the job.  Whoever the next pitcher on the depth chart is I would grab.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, B&F said:

I wouldn't count on Neris keeping the job.  Whoever the next pitcher on the depth chart is I would grab.

I would think that Bradley would be next in line for saves. Alvarado is the only lefty in the Phillies pen and he’s more of a fireman type anyway.

9 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

I would think that Bradley would be next in line for saves. Alvarado is the only lefty in the Phillies pen and he’s more of a fireman type anyway.

Idk Bradley couldn't even beat out Greg Holland in Arizona for the closers position.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, collucho said:

Idk Bradley couldn't even beat out Greg Holland in Arizona for the closers position.

In fairness Holland's a beast lol

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Halo Fan said:

Can someone compile a current projection list?

We need to keep our our RW Forum Closer depth chart... these "analysts " have no more insight than this forum!  Everyone had Archie Bradley as the closer on their depth chart.. at least the majority of site.. WRONG!   

Edited by MNDOGG
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, B&F said:

Thats exactly why they signed Bradley but he couldnt even win the job in ST. Alvarado is the next man up and while hes been lights out in ST, hes the only lefty in the pen which means he may not be saved for the save opportunities.

3 hours ago, MNDOGG said:

We need to keep our our RW Forum Closer depth chart... these "analysts " have no more insight than this forum!  Everyone had Archie Bradley as the closer on their depth chart.. at least the majority of site.. WRONG!   

That's what I'm looking for.

This could be completely wild, but there's speculation Hand is one of the players with Covid/contact tracing on WSH because washington just called up a LHP reliever.  They only have Hand+one other lefty in the bullpen, so seems like there's a 50% chance Hand will be out for at least the first game.  Might be worth picking up Rainey if you are truly desparate for saves

• Like 1