NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Offseason Closer Thread

9 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

@Magoo good list, but the STL Reyes one is pretty bold. I haven't seen anyone put him higher than third on the depth chart.

Thx!!!

Like I said I’m almost certain he got saves end of year. Plus these. 

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cl-hicks-may-ultimately-reclaim-closers-role-but-reyes-could-fill-in-early/article_5f4d8911-8b91-5a5e-80cd-c16291b03963.html

https://redbirdrants.com/2021/03/17/st-louis-cardinals-alex-reyes-closer/

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ill take a stab: Arizona Diamondbacks - Unclear.  Crichton/Soria/Devinski/Ginkel.  Total guess. I lean Crichton for first shot.  Bukaskas wild card.  May be the smart play Atlanta Braves -

Last stab.  These are just my opinions based on months of research and reading the tea leaves.  I've filtered ADP to only include March drafts.  My spelling will also be atrocious.  Guys can get trade

Ranking closers has been especially difficult this year with so many jobs still up for grabs this late in the game. Here's my attempt to rank them for traditional saves only roto leagues: 1. Liam

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Magoo said:

Ill take a stab:

Arizona Diamondbacks - Unclear.  Crichton/Soria/Devinski/Ginkel.  Total guess. I lean Crichton for first shot.  Bukaskas wild card.  May be the smart play

Atlanta Braves - Looks like Will Smith essentially gets the role with the *could be Martin caveat.* I don't see it.  Right now he's top 10 in my book since his skills are just as good as the elite.  Would rather have him than Romano and market agrees. 

Baltimore Orioles - Tanner Scott in the lead? Nobody really knows.  Hyde the most unpredictable.  Arguably the worst bullpen to spec given team/coach. 

Boston Red Sox - Barnes earned it with performance in my opinion.  Ottovino a fine stash but no better than others when you think about it.

Chicago White Sox - Hendricks

Chicago Cubs - Kimbrel.  And pray.

Cincinnati Reds - Garrett / Sims. Doolittle is done so a non-factor. I don't buy Garrett in the lead narrative just because he's so loud. And velo down.  Still the only solid leverage lefty. Basically an open competition. Could stay committee.  

Cleveland Indians - Fascinating situation.  If you had to pick today then it's probably Wittgren.  But again no one really knows.  Pick your guy and hope at this point

Colorado Rockies - Bard

Detroit Tigers - Unclear but Soto only one with closer skills and pedigree.  I think it's Soto's.  He wants it and if everyone loves the Garrett narrative so much then might as well apply it here

Houston Astros - Pressly.  Not as secure as people think.  I avoided all draft season because tied for the league lead in blown saves and while he got better as the season went on he didn't look like a good fit for the role as far as clutchness so to speak.  

Kansas City Royals - People say Holland but that's more of a committee lead based on tea leaves and last year.  Avoid for me. 

Los Angeles Angels - Iglesias.  Monitor Chris Rodriguez.  Special talent.  Looks like Karinchak with control.

Los Angeles Dodgers - Jansen.  But shortest leash yet for him.  Treinen a good spec imo. Graterol doesn't miss enough bats.

Miami Marlins - Bass.  Pretty secure.  Good team too so don't assume he gets traded.

Milwaukee Brewers - Hader

Minnesota Twins - Colome probably closer to full time closer than people think.  But I'm guessing because Baldelli does what he wants.

New York Yankees - Chapman 

New York Mets - Diaz

Oakland Athletics - Rosy

Philadelphia Phillies - Neris (but for how long?)

Pittsburgh Pirates - Crick/Rich Rod toss up at this point if you believe beat reporters. Bednar an interesting spec.  Regardless the trade fear is real. 

San Diego Padres - Word is they picked one closer.  I think it's Pagan if you believe all the beat reporters (and why wouldn't we?).  Could be Melancon though.  We'll find out soon

San Francisco Giants - Looks like McGee at this point.  Great price.

Seattle Mariners - Montero (until he's traded)

St. Louis Cardinals - I think it starts Reyes and slowly goes to Hicks over time.  Still don't get the Gallegos default back up logic.  Reyes finished the year as closer I think?

Tampa Bay Rays - Good luck.

Texas Rangers - Looks like Kennedy.  Bush makes Kennedy look reliable.  Let that sink in.

Toronto Blue Jays - Feels like the Braves situation.  Romano doesn't have a lot of IP track record which is why Dolis may get 5-10 as a result.  But remember Dolis only got saves after Romano got hurt

Washington Nationals - Hand.  But you better get Rainey.  Bottom could fall out at any moment.  Plus there were some comments ("In a perfect world Hand is our closer") that seems like a weird thing to say when you sign the guy with the most saves last year.  Go figure.

Now Overlord needs to challenge Magoo...the icon pics demand it!

Magood work my friend...fine writing...

• Thanks 1

Open Day tomorrow... and thank Baby Jesus for that.

I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone in here in advance for the solid content! This closer thread is the single reason I would always check these forums over the years and is the main reason I never take a closer before the end of my draft. 

I just peep this and end up with 3 top 20 guys eventually anyway. Best of luck fellas.. let’s get some ships 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, fbplayer03 said:

Pitt - crick, bednar, or Rich rod?

Watch out for Bednar. Hometown kid and closed in the minors. Has been throwing near 100 mph and striking out everyone during ST but is very young/ no previous track record.

Edited by printscreen
5 minutes ago, printscreen said:

Watch out for Bednar. Hometown kid and closed in the minors. Has been throwing near 100 mph and striking out everyone during ST but is very young/ no previous track record.

I like Bed but is there any Chance he really jumps them all and closes? 

33 minutes ago, fbplayer03 said:

I like Bed but is there any Chance he really jumps them all and closes? 

What do you think?

3 hours ago, pbjfb said:

@Magoo good list, but the STL Reyes one is pretty bold. I haven't seen anyone put him higher than third on the depth chart.

Cardinals beat writers Derrick Goold and Rick Hummel both think Reyes will get the early saves as Hicks won't be thrust right into it. How long it will last, who knows? And I quoted this a few pages back, but Shildt when asked by a reporter about the 9th to start the season mentioned several guys he's happy to use there, and Reyes' name came out first. Plus he did close games at the end of the season last year. None of that is rock-solid, but Reyes out there for the first save chance wouldn't be an upset.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Is Kenley Jansen going to Colorado?  That's been a trip he hasn't made in years past.  

No news from either beat writer etc

• Thanks 1

Should I be concerned that Matt Bush is still showing up as not officially on the Rangers roster?

(I should be concerned that I have Matt Bush in the fist place, I know.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Man I did miss the Closer thread last year having not played fantasy baseball in 2020.   This year is likely going to be bonkers in here.  With so many teams in closer disarray we are going to see a lot of jobs changing hands on a game to game basis.   Should be a blast.

I currently have Gallegos in a league.  All the Reyes talk in here has me wondering if I should drop Gio for Reyes.  Knowing my luck I'll do that and Gio will get the gig.

I am grateful for this thread.  It feels good knowing I don’t need to spend $$ on a closer or burn a mid round pick, and I’ll still be alright in the saves department (eventually).  

I’m surprised people have been less willing to take a chance on Pagan, as opposed to a Karinchak, Hicks/Reyes or Simms/Garrett, given how many games SD will be in position to win.  My hunch says to listen to the Friars’ beatwriters.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

Rosenthal just hit the DL. Diekman or Romo next?

From Closer Monkey ... 

Oakland A’s — Closer Trevor Rosenthal has been placed on the injured list with right shoulder inflammation. Expect Jake Diekman to take over as closer in the interim, with Sergio Romo another possible option. Yusmeiro Petit and Lou Trivino should move into the seventh inning.

Updated hierarchy: Diekman | Romo | Petit.