NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Offseason Closer Thread

6 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Notable Free Agents-

Hendricks, Yates, Colome, Greene, Hand, Bradley, Osuna, Workman, Melancon, Soria, Romo, Bass, Kintzler, Jeffress, Doolittle, Rosenthal

Great complete listing. The free agents that remain on the market make the closer market very hard to read. The first 8 guys that are free agents could easily land in a spot where they would be the leading closer candidate. It makes the bottom 5-10 guys that currently have roles risky. Hopefully we will have more clarity in the coming months.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ill take a stab: Arizona Diamondbacks - Unclear.  Crichton/Soria/Devinski/Ginkel.  Total guess. I lean Crichton for first shot.  Bukaskas wild card.  May be the smart play Atlanta Braves -

Last stab.  These are just my opinions based on months of research and reading the tea leaves.  I've filtered ADP to only include March drafts.  My spelling will also be atrocious.  Guys can get trade

Ranking closers has been especially difficult this year with so many jobs still up for grabs this late in the game. Here's my attempt to rank them for traditional saves only roto leagues: 1. Liam

Posted Images

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Regarding Rainey in Washington, from Jeff Zimmerman’s mining the news article on FG:

• The Nationals will consider using Tanner Rainey as their closer.

Rainey, 28, had a breakout 2020 season. He posted a 2.66 ERA, 0.738 WHIP and 14.2 strikeouts per nine innings in 20 appearances, while leading the Nationals’ relievers in opponents’ batting average (.119) and on-base percentage (.213). Rainey made so much progress in his third Major League season, manager Dave Martinez said in September, “We’re looking at potentially our future closer.”

📈📈

Wow just came out today.  Thanks for catching it.

It largely depends on who the Dodgers add yet, but I think I will be gobbling up share of BRSDR (Graterol) as I think he will eventually claim the closer role there.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Magoo said:

Beat writer said IF no FA closer it will more likely be a Smith/Martin committee. Could arguably lean Martin since Smith was bad last year.

Pagan 2/3 of role if no FA signing.  Pomeranz is being massively overdrafted relatively speaking.

pagan is capable if healthy.  I think the Padres would rather pomeranz be in a multi-inning set up role.  

• Like 2

Bradley to the Phillies.  I think Alvarado is just as much a threat to Neris as Bradley is.

That said I would think it is still Neris' job.  He was great down the stretch.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, colorado2013 said:

That Hendricks signing is risky; a contract for more years than he has had good seasons of and at the most volatile position.

At its cheapest it's 3/39, then that 4th season can be spread out over ten years if the Sox don't want him back. 

It's probably an overpay, but not a crazy one, especially with Hendricks being the best closer on the market. Plus he's Australian. That at least adds some cool factor to the bullpen. 

Rosenthal and others have pulled back on the Hand-to-Mets deal. Selfishly I'd really prefer Hand sign on as an undisputed closer somewhere, so no Mets!

On 1/15/2021 at 11:26 AM, Magoo said:

I'm staying away from all the FA relievers for specs except Rosenthal.  He seems like a lock where he signs.

Not disagreeing, but what makes you think he's more likely to close than the others? 

15 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

Not disagreeing, but what makes you think he's more likely to close than the others? 

If I recall correctly every time he has pitched well he's closed. 

Yates to the Blue Jays.  Should definitely close though with 2019 the last time he performed and coming off an injury I'd want to cuff with Romano every time.

Toronto finally gets someone.

Should be interesting to see how healthy he is. Always raises questions when the team he had just played for does not make an honest effort to resign the player. I know they have Rosenthal, but in this day and age a couple end of the game relievers is nice to have. SD is in it to win it, I would have thought they could be more aggressive on this front.

Edited by colorado2013
4 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

Toronto finally gets someone.

Should be interesting to see how healthy he is. Always raises questions when the team he had just played for does not make an honest effort to resign the player. I know they have Rosenthal, but in the day and age ihave a couple end of the game relievers is nice to have. SD is in it to win it, would have thought they could be more aggressive on this front.

I didn't think Rosenthal had signed yet?  I know they've been talking to him, but that's the last I heard.

37 minutes ago, damana said:

I didn't think Rosenthal had signed yet?  I know they've been talking to him, but that's the last I heard.

You are correct, he has not signed. My bad.

4 hours ago, Magoo said:

Yates to the Blue Jays.  Should definitely close though with 2019 the last time he performed and coming off an injury I'd want to cuff with Romano every time.

Can’t be sure it’s not Dolis

3 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

As of now, he's gotta be the clear favorite to close in Miami, right? Yimi Garcia was great in a small sample last year but has mostly been mediocre and has never been a closer.

I would have thought Toronto would have tried a little harder to resign him. Guess I should wait until I see the contract though, maybe Miami paid more than I would have expected.