NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Offseason Closer Thread

1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

As of now, he's gotta be the clear favorite to close in Miami, right? Yimi Garcia was great in a small sample last year but has mostly been mediocre and has never been a closer.

Mattingly already said he has confidence in Garcia closing games. Mish is speculating but could very well be right.

Totally up in the air imo

• Like 2
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ill take a stab: Arizona Diamondbacks - Unclear.  Crichton/Soria/Devinski/Ginkel.  Total guess. I lean Crichton for first shot.  Bukaskas wild card.  May be the smart play Atlanta Braves -

Last stab.  These are just my opinions based on months of research and reading the tea leaves.  I've filtered ADP to only include March drafts.  My spelling will also be atrocious.  Guys can get trade

Ranking closers has been especially difficult this year with so many jobs still up for grabs this late in the game. Here's my attempt to rank them for traditional saves only roto leagues: 1. Liam

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

Mattingly already said he has confidence in Garcia closing games. Mish is speculating but could very well be right.

Totally up in the air imo

Yeah, the Fish went on record saying they wouldn't sign a closer and were confident in Yimi. I guess they changed their minds, lol. 

4 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

As of now, he's gotta be the clear favorite to close in Miami, right? Yimi Garcia was great in a small sample last year but has mostly been mediocre and has never been a closer.

Wouldn't rule out Yimi yet, and the Marlins may not be done, but ya Bass would seem to be the favorite now.

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah, the Fish went on record saying they wouldn't sign a closer and were confident in Yimi. I guess they changed their minds, lol. 

Really splitting hairs here but here is the quote from late December:

“I think there are some really good arms out there,” Marlins general manager Kim Ng said of the closer market. “At this point, we are in the market for relievers. I’m not sure that we’re going to be at that [closer] end. But [talks are] moving.”

My take on this is they liked the arm + price (Bass) and that he could be an option at the back.  Bass isn't exactly a tried and true closer though so I think its closer battle / up in the air situation.  For all we know they sign Kintzler too.

Garcia's been creeping up to low 300s whereas Bass has been an endgamer only till now.  I'd probably grab Bass anytime after 400 now if you think he's the guy.  

Edited by Magoo
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Looking through their careers, Yimi has been better than Bass, and the only time Bass has really been used as a closer was 2020. I'm not so sure that Bass will actually beat out Yimi. 

• Like 1

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Nationals have emerged as a possibility to sign free agent left-hander Brad Hand.

With so many teams in on him, I am wondering if it would have been cheaper to simply have claimed him when released? I imagine he won't be getting the yearly AAV that was left of his original deal, I believe $10 million,  but I don't see how he isn't getting a multiyear deal. I guess teams are happy to spread the money out after the losses from 2020, so maybe I just can't past that pre-2020 mindset, but seems like I'd rather be able to sign him for 1 year, $10 million, than 2 years, $16 or something. I really should wait to see what he signs for before commenting (but obviously I am not going to).

Whatever the contract ends up being, Washington seems like it would be a good landing spot for him for the chance to close. Doesn't sound like they are amongst the favorites though.

Edited by colorado2013
On 1/23/2021 at 3:14 PM, colorado2013 said:

With so many teams in on him, I am wondering if it would have been cheaper to simply have claimed him when released? I imagine he won't be getting the yearly AAV that was left of his original deal, I believe $10 million,  but I don't see how he isn't getting a multiyear deal. I guess teams are happy to spread the money out after the losses from 2020, so maybe I just can't past that pre-2020 mindset, but seems like I'd rather be able to sign him for 1 year, $10 million, than 2 years, $16 or something. I really should wait to see what he signs for before commenting (but obviously I am not going to).

Whatever the contract ends up being, Washington seems like it would be a good landing spot for him for the chance to close. Doesn't sound like they are amongst the favorites though.

Hand to Washington for 1 year, $10.5 million. A nice landing spot for him.

They should have just claimed him off of waivers when Cleveland released him.

Edited by colorado2013
On 1/23/2021 at 6:26 PM, Whizzinator said:

I get the GM talk and also the need for competition in spring training, but do we REALLY think this isn't Pressly?

Eye test wise he was uber shaky in the role. Ask any Astros fan. They have gone out of their way to not anoint him.

So yes

4 minutes ago, TheBoatmen said:

Ottavino to the Redsox.   Does he close or is it still Barnes?

Probably a competition in Spring Training. Ottavino was terrible last season but with everyone else, has the short season caveat. If he reverts to his old form he could end up being a top 5 closer in fantasy.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:56 PM, Sidearmer said:

Probably a competition in Spring Training. Ottavino was terrible last season but with everyone else, has the short season caveat. If he reverts to his old form he could end up being a top 5 closer in fantasy.

Terrible is definitely a stretch. He had ONE bad game vs Toronto where he let up 6 runs without registering a single out. Take that game out of the equation and his numbers were pretty respectable. 

19 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Terrible is definitely a stretch. He had ONE bad game vs Toronto where he let up 6 runs without registering a single out. Take that game out of the equation and his numbers were pretty respectable. 

I've seen that take a lot last few days. But you can't just take out a player's worst game and say he was fine. Sure it is exacerbated by the small sample size, which I was alluding to in my post, but he still had an implosion. Should we take away his equally best appearances too?

12 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

I've seen that take a lot last few days. But you can't just take out a player's worst game and say he was fine. Sure it is exacerbated by the small sample size, which I was alluding to in my post, but he still had an implosion. Should we take away his equally best appearances too?

I hear you, I do. I'm not one to typically make this type of excuse for anyone. But in Ottavinos case I just think its fair to at least admit it was literally one bad outing (out of 24 appearances) that plagued his stats. So yes, if you'd like to take away his "one, or even two best game(s)" to even that out you'd be left with some pretty solid ratios. All I'm saying here is that by no means was it a "terrible" season. Especially, as you said, that it was such a shortened season where one bad game (in his case one of the worst I've ever witnessed) can significantly skew ratios

• Like 2
7 hours ago, RallyRally said:

Do you think he has a better chance than Crichton?

They all have an equal chance imo including Ginkel. Always be careful drafting late season closer stop gaps. Not a single confirmation Crichton has the role. 

24 minutes ago, Magoo said:

They all have an equal chance imo including Ginkel. Always be careful drafting late season closer stop gaps. Not a single confirmation Crichton has the role. 

Fair points. I guess my main reason for the question was how well he performed with the role late last season, so wondered specifically about Soria's impact. Obviously, there's never any guarantees so we'll get a better idea closer to the season.

Edited by RallyRally
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, RallyRally said:

Fair points. I guess my main reason for the question was how well he performed with the role late last season, so wondered specifically about Soria's impact. Obviously, there's never any guarantees so we'll get a better idea closer to the season.

Crichton has a chance to win the job, but I think Soria is a favorite. Probably a situation to avoid in drafts either way or get whoever lasts longer in the draft. Crichton was good last year in small sample but benefited from some luck as his expected stats were very pedestrian. They were pedestrian in 2019 as well.

• Thanks 1

Mid February Update - Some of these may end up being time shares, but just listing the favorite I've been hearing of late.  

NYY- Chapman

Bos - Barnes (Ottavino?)

Tor - Yates

TB - Committee (don't kid yourself) - Anderson highest ADP

Bal - Harvey/Scott? - Harvey highest ADP

Cle - Karinchak

CWS - Hendriks

Min - Committee (favors Colome) - Rogers highest ADP

Det - committe garcia/soto/ciserno - Garcia highest ADP

KC - Holland

LAA - Iglesias

Sea - Montero (signed Giles)

Oak - Deikman/Trivino/Wendleken - Diekman highest ADP

Tex - LeClerc

Hou - Pressley

Atl - Smith/Martin - Will Smith highest ADP

Mia - Bass

Was - Hand

NYM - Diaz

Phi - Neris/Bradley/Kintzler - Neris highest ADP

CHC - Kimbrel

Stl - Committee ( Gallegos highest ADP)

Mil - Hader

Pit - Rodriguez 

Cin - Garrett

Lad - Jansen

SD - Pagan/Pomeranz - Pomeranz highest ADP

Col - Bard

SF - Committee (Reyes Moronta highest ADP)

Arz - Soria

Free agents ready to throw a wrench into your plans - Rosenthal, Melancon, Greene, Osuna, Workman

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
11 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Pagan and Pomeranz have higher upside but Melancon has the proven closer experience. This will be an interesting situation to see how it plays out.