NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Offseason Closer Thread

And Melancon may make closer situation murky in SD:

Dennis Lin of The Athletic reports that the Padres are in agreement on a deal with Mark Melancon.

The particulars of the deal are not known at this time. Melancon wound up striking out just 14 over 22 2/3 innings for the Braves last season, but he was effective overall with a 2.78 ERA and 11 saves in 13 chances. He probably becomes the favorite to close for the Padres, with manager Jayce Tingler likely preferring to use Drew Pomeranz in high-leverage situations earlier in the game. It's possible San Diego might not have a set closer, though.

Source: Dennis Lin on Twitter          Feb 12, 2021, 2:08 PM ET

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ill take a stab: Arizona Diamondbacks - Unclear.  Crichton/Soria/Devinski/Ginkel.  Total guess. I lean Crichton for first shot.  Bukaskas wild card.  May be the smart play Atlanta Braves -

Last stab.  These are just my opinions based on months of research and reading the tea leaves.  I've filtered ADP to only include March drafts.  My spelling will also be atrocious.  Guys can get trade

Ranking closers has been especially difficult this year with so many jobs still up for grabs this late in the game. Here's my attempt to rank them for traditional saves only roto leagues: 1. Liam

Posted Images

After Melancon signed I'm more intrigued with the ATL bullpen.  It's crazy how lefty heavy that bullpen is but they have a few RHP that could be moved to the bullpen (Wright/Wilson/Toussaint etc).

I still think they sign another RHP and there are a few out there like Jeffress and Greene. If they sign another RHP then that really helps Martin.  In any event it feels like a complete toss up though given how good Matzek, Minter, and Martin all looked.

On 2/12/2021 at 4:31 PM, Magoo said:

After Melancon signed I'm more intrigued with the ATL bullpen.  It's crazy how lefty heavy that bullpen is but they have a few RHP that could be moved to the bullpen (Wright/Wilson/Toussaint etc).

I still think they sign another RHP and there are a few out there like Jeffress and Greene. If they sign another RHP then that really helps Martin.  In any event it feels like a complete toss up though given how good Matzek, Minter, and Martin all looked.

Atl interests me as well. I am gonna be watching that bullpen close

Be advised to those who have drafted already:

67% owned Diekman in Yahoo is going to be mass dropped now that Rosenthal is the closer, and those teams are likely to take fliers on other Saves possibilities on the wire. This might affect your plans to snatch a RP off the wire, if for instance you are waiting for Syndergaard or Severino to go on the IL to open a roster spot. If there's a forgotten RP on your wire, he might be snagged by the Diekman owner tonight.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Fielder1831 said:

Atl interests me as well. I am gonna be watching that bullpen close

Braves manager Brian Snitker stated Thursday that the team may use "2-3 guys to close." 

Snitker added that he has "every confidence in the world" that Will Smith could handle the job. Smith has been the perceived favorite to land the closer role in Atlanta after Mark Melancon signed with the Padres this past week. The 31-year-old southpaw struggled in 16 innings last season, posting a 4.50 ERA and 7.33 FIP, but he did convert 34 saves for the Giants in 2019. Smith will presumably compete for ninth-inning duties in Atlanta with Chris Martin and A.J. Minter, among others.

Very conflicting comments on the ATL closer situation. At one point, Snit stated they may use closer by committee and then he has all the confidence in the world that Smith can handle the job; though his old school approach tells me he's going with one closer eventually.

Having one closer helps us and himself too as I don't think Snit know how to handle the bullpen as good as him handling drums...  

See the source image

Most place I'm looking at right now is calling for Pomeranz to be the SDP closer right now. Not "committee" or "co-closer", but "closer". I know the situation is cloudy at best more than a month away from OD, but this seems like a surprising projection by FP, RR, RC, and ESPN. Rotoballer is putting Pom and Melancon as co-closers. Rotowire has Melancon as closer and Pom as 1st in line. 

It would seem like the biggest reason for SD to sign Melancon would be to make him the closer...right? 

Keep an eye out for Tyler Matzek on the Braves.   I would say the odds are against him this year, but the Braves started to use him in high leverage spots including the playoffs (sometimes for multiple innings).  He had a ridiculous 2.79 ERA, 1.92 FIP, 13.34 K/9.   Also a 2.55 XERA and his stuff just looks filthy.  Honestly in terms of pure stuff I would trust him over most of the Braves relievers, but then again they might not trust him in the closer role.  

• Like 1

Can't recall a season when closer situations were so murky.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

How many guys can you count on as a CL to start the season, 5...maybe 10?

Anymore...I would almost roll with high k/9, low ratio guys and not even worry about saves.

Just now, charger_ss24 said:

Anymore...I would almost roll with high k/9, low ratio guys and not even worry about saves.

death sentence to punt saves in roto. I like elite middle relievers though.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, charger_ss24 said:

Yeah, I may draft 1 solid closer and make sure my other RP's are just good ratios. Always seems to find at least 1 good closer on waivers later (if not 2 or more!).

• Like 1

@closernews is now suspended for god knows why.

They used to be the best account to follow assuming you had push notifications turned on because they'd tweet out who got saves right after they'd happen. 

There is a void to fill.

I've created this twitter account and would like to try and run it in a similar way but improved. 

twitter.com/closercarousel_

I would need a few more people to help run it though since I can't watch all the games at once obviously. I figure if we have a few people on the account then we can cover every game.

If you're interested in helping DM me for more details. I'd prefer people who are regulars in this thread just because I know I can trust you fellow nerds to be watching games.

Edited by street sharks
  • Like 1

Will Smith has looked really good so far.  Like 2019 good.  I'm getting all the shares I can before an announcement.  Seems like the job is his for the most part (Martin could vulture a few).  Price was depressed because of Melancon fear and early beat writer speculation about shared role.  

I don't see much difference between him and the Hand/Karinchak/Jansen tier. Buy.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Magoo said:

I don't see much difference between him and the Hand/Karinchak/Jansen tier. Buy.

Smith was dreadful last year - only 16 IP though. But that is the difference between him and those guys. Those guys also have clearly defined roles. Smith is in a competition with a bullpen that has several potential names to turn to (Martin, Minter, darkhorse Matzek). Smith seems fairly priced at 230 ADP as basically a dart throw. Definitely plenty of upside if he wins the job but plenty of risk which pushes him down the board.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

Smith was dreadful last year - only 16 IP though. But that is the difference between him and those guys. Those guys also have clearly defined roles. Smith is in a competition with a bullpen that has several potential names to turn to (Martin, Minter, darkhorse Matzek). Smith seems fairly priced at 230 ADP as basically a dart throw. Definitely plenty of upside if he wins the job but plenty of risk which pushes him down the board.

HR was his bugaboo last year, but otherwise, he wasn’t that dreadful. 

jonathan hernandez ucl sprain, gives leclerc inside track to closer gig, joely rodriguez now a dark horse

• Like 1
3 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

jonathan hernandez ucl sprain, gives leclerc inside track to closer gig, joely rodriguez now a dark horse

Rodriguez becomes one of the top handcuffs with this news, IMO. High strikeout rate, shaky closer ahead of him, and he is the clear 2 option. Elite last year in small sample but has never had success outside of that, so he's a still a wild card, but for a handcuff you could do much worse.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

Rodriguez becomes one of the top handcuffs with this news, IMO. High strikeout rate, shaky closer ahead of him, and he is the clear 2 option. Elite last year in small sample but has never had success outside of that, so he's a still a wild card, but for a handcuff you could do much worse.

Ottavino and Rodriguez are looking like best two handcuffs at the moment.

28 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Ottavino and Rodriguez are looking like best two handcuffs at the moment.

My top 5 handcuffs based on stand alone value plus chance for saves:

1. Devin Williams
2. Blake Treinen
3. Adam Ottavino
4. Joely Rodriguez
5. Chad Green

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

My top 5 handcuffs based on stand alone value plus chance for saves:

1. Devin Williams
2. Blake Treinen
3. Adam Ottavino
4. Joely Rodriguez
5. Chad Green

Don't consider devin williams a handcuff, but yeah he's amazing, and if hader gets traded...

Think some of the kenley concerns are overblown. In the playoffs i expect the dodgers will play matchups and sometimes use starters to close, but for regular season seems like he's pretty secure. Also even if he were to falter, are you sure it's treinen and not victor g or piss poor extension graterol?

bad "closer" who could lose their jobs:
bard ---> oberg

so many jobs are unsettled at the moment though. while i like chad green a lot, i don't see chapman ever losing his job.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Don't consider devin williams a handcuff, but yeah he's amazing, and if hader gets traded...

Think some of the kenley concerns are overblown. In the playoffs i expect the dodgers will play matchups and sometimes use starters to close, but for regular season seems like he's pretty secure. Also even if he were to falter, are you sure it's treinen and not victor g or piss poor extension graterol?

bard ---> oberg

so many jobs are unsettled at the moment though. while i like chad green a lot, i don't see chapman ever losing his job.

Kenley is probably safe, but: WHIP up 4 straight years, K / BB down 3 straight years, velocity down 3 straight years, and the team had mixed confidence with him at the end of last year. Treinen is pretty rock solid and even though Dodgers have other options Treinen has experience and good stats, he would seem to be the clear #2 option. Treinen also someone you can roster and be useful as a MRP.

I agree there are a lot of bad closers that may also lose jobs, but the handcuff in most of those situations is not great either. Bard / Oberg is a good one though that is interesting.

Edited by Sidearmer
3 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

bard ---> oberg

Why wouldn't Williams be a handcuff? If anything happens to Hader, he's next in line, correct?