Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Offseason Closer Thread


Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

.

I actually think that ottavino might get the gig in Boston based off the gushing from Cora all spring training.

I would discount manager speak.  We know most of their talk is rhetoric.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ill take a stab: Arizona Diamondbacks - Unclear.  Crichton/Soria/Devinski/Ginkel.  Total guess. I lean Crichton for first shot.  Bukaskas wild card.  May be the smart play Atlanta Braves -

Last stab.  These are just my opinions based on months of research and reading the tea leaves.  I've filtered ADP to only include March drafts.  My spelling will also be atrocious.  Guys can get trade

Ranking closers has been especially difficult this year with so many jobs still up for grabs this late in the game. Here's my attempt to rank them for traditional saves only roto leagues: 1. Liam

Posted Images

There is no logical reason behind this but in his first 8 years as pro Kimbrel was dominant and made 7 all star games. He then signed in June to prevent draft pick compensation and had dominant spurts but also some bad spurts. Covid hits in 2020 and he gets a 21 day summer camp insteadof 40 days plus spring training, he gets lit up early then is unhittable. I'm in on Kimbrel with a regular spring training this year, although I could be wrong and age is the culprit.

Edited by turner46
first 8 years
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, turner46 said:

There is no logical reason behind this but in his first 8 years as pro Kimbrel was dominant and made 7 all star games. He then signed in June to prevent draft pick compensation and had dominant spurts but also some bad spurts. Covid hits in 2020 and he gets a 21 day summer camp insteadof 40 days plus spring training, he gets lit up early then is unhittable. I'm in on Kimbrel with a regular spring training this year, although I could be wrong and age is the culprit.

Kimbrel was below average to poor in last part of his stint in Boston.  Then he continued hid swan dive in Chicago.  So been going bad for some time.  Shelf life of closers not named Rivera isn't all that great and Kimbrel had a great run in his Atlanta days but he is now well over the expatriation date.  I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Kimbrel was below average to poor in last part of his stint in Boston.  Then he continued hid swan dive in Chicago.  So been going bad for some time.  Shelf life of closers not named Rivera isn't all that great and Kimbrel had a great run in his Atlanta days but he is now well over the expatriation date.  I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

13 of his last 14 outings were scoreless last year.

He had a 15 of 17 scoreless outing spurt in 2019.

Maybe he is washed, but maybe thanks to both 2019 him not singing until June and maybe thanks to 2020 being 2020 (21 day summer training cmon man) he wasn't full strength.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn’t that quote be said about scores of relievers in the Majors? And yeah, I guess a healthy Pagan could be the closer. But so could a healthy Melancon or a healthy Pomeranz. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Couldn’t that quote be said about scores of relievers in the Majors? And yeah, I guess a healthy Pagan could be the closer. But so could a healthy Melancon or a healthy Pomeranz. 

Read the article...

"But the name mentioned most by those in the organization as the pitcher they expect to assume the role is Pagán."

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Read the article...

"But the name mentioned most by those in the organization as the pitcher they expect to assume the role is Pagán."

I did read the article. Pagan may very well get the ball and run with it this year, but that statement doesn't really mean a lot to me at this point. Pom is close to returning to the mound, and we'll see how it shakes out then. Neither Pagan nor Melancon have been particularly inspiring this spring...but it is ST, lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I did read the article. Pagan may very well get the ball and run with it this year, but that statement doesn't really mean a lot to me at this point. Pom is close to returning to the mound, and we'll see how it shakes out then. Neither Pagan nor Melancon have been particularly inspiring this spring...but it is ST, lol. 

All three beat writers have suggested it's most likely him in addition to those within the organization per that quote.  From a tea leaves perspective I don't know what else there could be.  That's WAY more than most unclear bullpens where the assumed guys are going before first. Pagan is going 100 plus picks after Pom and well after Melancon  

If you are equally speculating Pom and Malancon despite this then what are you basing that on?

Edited by Magoo
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Magoo said:

All three beat writers have suggested it's most likely him in addition to those within the organization per that quote.  From a tea leaves perspective I don't know what else there could be.  That's WAY more than most unclear bullpens where the assumed guys are going before first. Pagan is going 100 plus picks after Pom and well after Melancon  

If you are equally speculating Pom and Malancon despite this then what are you basing that on?

I'm not speculating on any of them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

I'm not speculating on any of them. 

Fair enough.  Personally he's the EXACT guy you want to speculate on:  Good skills, on a great team, all signs point to him, and going well after some known set-up guys.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another plus for Pagan:

  • Drew Pomeranz hasn't appeared in a Cactus League game since March 9 due to left forearm tightness.

    The good news is that tests revealed no structural damage and the hope is Pomeranz will be cleared for mound work sometime over the next week. Still, it's obviously not ideal and it's unclear whether the left-hander will be ready in time for Opening Day. Pomeranz is in the mix for saves in San Diego, although the club might not name a closer.

    SOURCE: MLB.com
    Mar 19, 2021, 2:30 PM ET
     
  •  
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Woodward not ready to name closer and has named Leclerc, Matt Bush and Ian Kennedy as candidates to close out games.

Woodward -- "Instead of just saying, ‘Hey you're going to pitch the ninth or the eighth or the seventh,’ let's try to be strategic about this. The closer may pitch the eighth inning because that's the most difficult inning.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/rangers-have-not-made-decision-on-closer

Ugly bullpen.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

these are stupidly small spring training sample sizes.
 

joe jimenez 3.1 ip, 8.10 era, 2.10 whip, 4/2 k/bb
bryan garcia 3 ip, 9.00 era, 2.33 whip, 1/1 k/bb

gregory soto, 4.2 ip, 1.93 era, 1.07 whip, 6/3 k/bb

I think soto is favorite here because he's got better strikeout stuff than garcia and hasn't struggled like jimenez

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

these are stupidly small spring training sample sizes.
 

joe jimenez 3.1 ip, 8.10 era, 2.10 whip, 4/2 k/bb
bryan garcia 3 ip, 9.00 era, 2.33 whip, 1/1 k/bb

gregory soto, 4.2 ip, 1.93 era, 1.07 whip, 6/3 k/bb

I think soto is favorite here because he's got better strikeout stuff than garcia and hasn't struggled like jimenez

Shane Greene signing incoming...

Link to post
Share on other sites

A name to keep an eye on in deeper leagues as the season goes on, David Bednar, rp for the Pirates acquired in the Musgrove deal....

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2021 at 9:46 AM, Magoo said:

Fair enough.  Personally he's the EXACT guy you want to speculate on:  Good skills, on a great team, all signs point to him, and going well after some known set-up guys.

Just watched Pagan strike the side out impressively. His last four outings have been scoreless, and he now has 9 K in 5 ip. And it doesn't sound like Pom is going to be able to get back on a mound as quickly as the Padres thought. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked at Closer Monkey, and they have Melancon as the closer and Kela as 1st-in-line. But they haven't updated since March 5. It does make me wonder if Kela is going to get in this mix, too. He has some experience with it, too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Just looked at Closer Monkey, and they have Melancon as the closer and Kela as 1st-in-line. But they haven't updated since March 5. It does make me wonder if Kela is going to get in this mix, too. He has some experience with it, too. 

I don’t trust Closermonkey anymore. A few of us that scour this thread regularly could do a much better job. They’re usually late to the party these days. I scooped up Pagan in a bunch of leagues and will continue to fade all those other dudes (but will continue to monitor). Kevin Acee is usually pretty plugged in and he’s been saying Pagan for a while.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I don’t trust Closermonkey anymore. A few of us that scour this thread regularly could do a much better job. They’re usually late to the party these days. I scooped up Pagan in a bunch of leagues and will continue to fade all those other dudes (but will continue to monitor). Kevin Acee is usually pretty plugged in and he’s been saying Pagan for a while.

 

I tossed my hat in the Pagan ring after chatting with Magoo in here and doing a bit more research. Looked like a muddled mess with Melancon, Pom, Kela, and Pagan from the outside, so I didn't pay it much attention. The talk during the game today was that Pagan was looking like the guy to close...but they didn't spend a lot of time on discussing it. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian Kennedy (or Matt Bush) could take over as closer if Leclerc doesn’t start looking better to Woodward’s liking (insert vomit emoji)

 

Cant paste link. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

 

That is one ugly closer situation without Leclerc.   As a place to throw a dart, there may be no more 'legit open' option than that between Bush, Kennedy, or Sborz or someone random like that popping in.  But it seems like there's not a legit good option for non-saves purposes among them all...

Link to post
Share on other sites

RW main page picking up the pagan stuff.

I must disclose that I’m biased and heavily invested in Melancon/pom in a money league, but even still I just don’t see pagan.

He gives up too many homers, didn’t get barely a single save with the role last year, and the team signed 2 former closers to replace him. You don’t get melancon and kela if pagan is your guy.
 

I get that I’m not in the facility everyday talking to people but I just don’t see him A getting the job and B keeping it. Idk weirder things have happened and you could def do worse than speculate on him right now though. 

Edited by cyberer
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Whizzinator said:

That is one ugly closer situation without Leclerc.   As a place to throw a dart, there may be no more 'legit open' option than that between Bush, Kennedy, or Sborz or someone random like that popping in.  But it seems like there's not a legit good option for non-saves purposes among them all...

remember owning kennedy a few years back and he was very effective from what i remember with the closer gig...havent gone to look up his actual stats though

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...