NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Offseason Closer Thread

Dennis Lin was on the Fantasy Baseball in 15 podcast over a month ago touting Pagan. Definitely needs to be picked up everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ill take a stab: Arizona Diamondbacks - Unclear.  Crichton/Soria/Devinski/Ginkel.  Total guess. I lean Crichton for first shot.  Bukaskas wild card.  May be the smart play Atlanta Braves -

Last stab.  These are just my opinions based on months of research and reading the tea leaves.  I've filtered ADP to only include March drafts.  My spelling will also be atrocious.  Guys can get trade

Ranking closers has been especially difficult this year with so many jobs still up for grabs this late in the game. Here's my attempt to rank them for traditional saves only roto leagues: 1. Liam

Posted Images

And news from the Blue Jays as they need a new closer for now:

Kirby Yates is expected to miss multiple weeks due to a flexor pronator strain in his right arm.

Awful news for the Blue Jays. Yates has had a pair of scoreless appearances this spring and was expected to enter the year as the closer after signing a one-year, $5.5 million deal over the winter. Those duties will now likely fall to Jordan Romano, who is looking like a must pickup in the later rounds of mixed fantasy drafts.

Source: Scott Mitchell on Twitter                  Mar 22, 2021, 2:23 PM ET

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And news from the Blue Jays as they need a new closer for now:

And 2 closers in the top 25 go down in the last 2 hours and it’s only March 22nd. This is why I never pay for saves.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, meh2 said:

And 2 closers in the top 25 go down in the last 2 hours and it’s only March 22nd. This is why I never pay for saves.

Leclerc wasn't in my top 25 ;)

I'd probably bet $1 on Dolis and Kennedy.  Texas could also be Bush, Kennedy, Wood.  Hearn and Borucki are good arms who are overlooked because they're failed SP, but they're also LHP.  

Kinda think Yates is cooked now.  Greene is also out there

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, vthunder said:

Alot of messy situations.  How would we rate potential guys like:

Sims

Kennedy 

Pagan 

Romano

Pagan>>>>>Romano>>>Kennedy>Sims

• Like 3

I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I tried to look up flexor pronator strain recovery times.

Looks like anywhere from a few weeks to 2-3 months. 

You're welcome, everybody.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I just assume any arm/shoulder/elbow injuries mean TJ and ask questions later.

Ah, it's nice to see an optimist on these boards, for once!

I typically just chalk it up as yet another imminent arm amputation announcement.  

• Haha 1

so, are people who had drafted leclerc dropping him for kennedy? or bush?  i'd imagine most owners would only have the one roster spot being used on leclerc, so have to pick one and hope to make the right call...

also, anyone else see this nugget from CBS Sports about rich-rod perhaps being more of a setup/fireman role?

Surprised Jake McGee hasn't been brought up.  He was lights out last season.  I know Kapler prefers CBC but if he has a dominant closer he might have one guy.

1 hour ago, B&F said:

What is the issue with Romano?  Can't find anything.

Nothing. Just struck out all 3 hitters he faced and looked nasty doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are we less than 5 years away from not having a single team having only one "closer".  As the older managers start to retire, the newer guys seem more willing to mix and match closers.  What are we at this year? Maybe 10 guys? 

5 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Are we less than 5 years away from not having a single team having only one "closer".  As the older managers start to retire, the newer guys seem more willing to mix and match closers.  What are we at this year? Maybe 10 guys? 

Feels the same every year - a number of managers "don't have a set closer" going into the season, or a number of them have a guy who falters and then the situation becomes a "closer by committee" but down the stretch an overwhelming majority of them seem to have a guy they call most of the time to get three outs in the 9th.  There are some exceptions like a Kapler here and a Kevin Cash there but it seems you can eventually find 2-4 guys who can get you saves in September with consistency, it's just not typically the 2-4 guys you draft.

It's just kind of a matter of riding the bull until then.

Bold prediction is that Wittgren ends the year with more saves than Karinchak. I think Karinchak stays in the same role as last year while Wittgren assumes the Brad Hand/closer role.

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

Bold prediction is that Wittgren ends the year with more saves than Karinchak. I think Karinchak stays in the same role as last year while Wittgren assumes the Brad Hand/closer role.

I second this. Like Dennis Lin (Padres beat writer for The Athletic) suggesting over a month ago Pagan would be the favorite for saves in SD, Zach Meisel (Cleveland beat writer for The Athletic) put Wittgren firmly in the mix last month.

2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Oops I was supposed to attach this...

10 minutes ago, meh2 said:

The cynic in me says that keeping a potential stud closer like Karinchak in the set-up role probably makes little to no difference on the baseball side of things (innings are innings, after all), but could make a huge difference in regards to economics.  Karinchak will reach arbitration in 2023 and the Indians can potentially save millions simply by not having him close (arbitration is fairly "old school" when it comes to rewarding traditional roles like closer).

Wittgren will be on the second year of arbitration next year and is much less of a financial concern on that front.  

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Easy to say after the blurb:

Tom Withers of the Associated Press writes that Indians manager Terry Francona has "high praise" for Nick Wittgren and he could be a closing option to start the year.

This probably doesn't come as a huge shock if you have followed this situation closely enough this spring. While nothing is official, this could move James Karinchak down a tad on fantasy draft boards. The upside remains immense, though. Speaking from a pure baseball sense, it could make sense to have Karinchak available for other high-leverage spots in the seventh and eighth inning. We'll soon find out if Indians manager Terry Francona agrees with that notion. As for Wittgren, he's posted a 2.99 ERA in 80 appearances over the past two seasons. He's worth a late-round flier in mixed leagues for sure.

Source: Tom Withers on Twitter             Mar 23, 2021, 3:30 PM ET