NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Offseason Closer Thread

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ill take a stab: Arizona Diamondbacks - Unclear.  Crichton/Soria/Devinski/Ginkel.  Total guess. I lean Crichton for first shot.  Bukaskas wild card.  May be the smart play Atlanta Braves -

Last stab.  These are just my opinions based on months of research and reading the tea leaves.  I've filtered ADP to only include March drafts.  My spelling will also be atrocious.  Guys can get trade

Ranking closers has been especially difficult this year with so many jobs still up for grabs this late in the game. Here's my attempt to rank them for traditional saves only roto leagues: 1. Liam

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

I assume that we have already had the Romano vs. Dolis discussion on this thread but it just got real with Blue Jays announcing Yates will go under the knife....

Dolis with a 14% walk rate last season.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, B&F said:

Dolis with a 14% walk rate last season.

This seems less than ideal!

At least he hasn't walked anyone yet this Spring.  We'll see if he can try not to walk anyone on his way to the parking lot.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 3/22/2021 at 6:25 PM, Overlord said:

Ah, it's nice to see an optimist on these boards, for once!

I typically just chalk it up as yet another imminent arm amputation announcement.  

And the pessimists have it: They cutting off all the arms today!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

I think all leagues should change to Saves + Holds.

Mlb needs to adopt holds as an official stat, then have at it.  Some sites will count an particular outing as a hold while others won’t.  

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Mlb needs to adopt holds as an official stat, then have at it.  Some sites will count an particular outing as a hold while others won’t.  

I want MLB to adopt the goose. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/goose-egg-new-save-stat-relief-pitchers/

• Like 1
On 3/22/2021 at 2:47 PM, Overlord said:

I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I tried to look up flexor pronator strain recovery times.

Looks like anywhere from a few weeks to 2-3 months. 

You're welcome, everybody.  

It’s the year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/kirby-yates-expected-to-have-tommy-john-surgery.html

For those chasing early saves, longtime Cardinals beat writer Rick Hummel said in a chat this week that he expects Alex Reyes to pitch "as many or more ninth innings than anyone else in the early part of the season."

And in an article tonight on stltoday.com about the Cardinals' bullpen, Shildt said of the ninth, "I love the options -- Alex, Gio, Jordan, ''all of those guys are more than capable."

May be meaningful that he said Reyes first, maybe not. But just throwing the info out there FWIW. Still probably Hicks in the long term, but Reyes may be a fair bet to get many of the early chances.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure if Jose Alvarado on the Phillies has been mentioned here yet but he's been throwing 99+ gas, has lost a ton of weight, and looks a lot like the filthy reliever he was a couple of years ago.  He's been in the majors for a while but he's only 25 and has shown he can be elite already.  He's the type of RP I love to target early in the year before the hype train gets going.  High Ks, good ratios, and in a bullpen situation that isn't settled.  My money is on him to lock down the closer role by May and run with it for the foreseeable future.

"It's an interesting dynamic for sure," Joe Girardi said of Archie Bradley's ability to go multiple innings. Girardi said he's not a guy that can go two innings every appearance, but still. It makes you wonder if José Alvarado could open season as closer.
Edited by Von Hayes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Von Hayes said:

I'm not sure if Jose Alvarado on the Phillies has been mentioned here yet but he's been throwing 99+ gas, has lost a ton of weight, and looks a lot like the filthy reliever he was a couple of years ago.  He's been in the majors for a while but he's only 25 and has shown he can be elite already.  He's the type of RP I love to target early in the year before the hype train gets going.  High Ks, good ratios, and in a bullpen situation that isn't settled.  My money is on him to lock down the closer role by May and run with it for the foreseeable future.

"It's an interesting dynamic for sure," Joe Girardi said of Archie Bradley's ability to go multiple innings. Girardi said he's not a guy that can go two innings every appearance, but still. It makes you wonder if José Alvarado could open season as closer.

10.9 k/9 for his career is nice, but the 1.32 career WHIP is shaky at best

11 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

His first two years in TB his WHIP was much better at 1.11 but the last two years his walks have been out of control. Only one walk through six innings this spring so far, but Neris has been equally impressive in that regard with no walks through 6.2 in spring. Philly may have fixed that horrendous bullpen in one offseason. 

30 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

To be fair, it's been a pretty short career so far and using an average doesn't tell the complete story.  He pitched 93 innings in his age 22 and 23 seasons (2017-18) with a 1.11 whip.  He pitched 39 innings in 2019-20 with a roughly 1.75 whip.  I'm not sure it would be wise to combine those two extremes and says he's a 1.32 WHIP type of pitcher.  From what I've read, he was dealing with injuries, weight issues, and family issues over the last couple of years.  This year he looks trimmer and he looks filthy on the mound.  

23 minutes ago, Von Hayes said:

To be fair, it's been a pretty short career so far and using an average doesn't tell the complete story.  He pitched 93 innings in his age 22 and 23 seasons (2017-18) with a 1.11 whip.  He pitched 39 innings in 2019-20 with a roughly 1.75 whip.  I'm not sure it would be wise to combine those two extremes and says he's a 1.32 WHIP type of pitcher.  From what I've read, he was dealing with injuries, weight issues, and family issues over the last couple of years.  This year he looks trimmer and he looks filthy on the mound.  

gotcha Von...i actually just added him for spec saves and ratios in my deep roto money league (k/9 is a catagory)....always like to have 1 or 2 middle men rostered no matter what, and only had to drop diekman

• Like 1

Getting concerned about Nick Anderson. He had a forearm issue in the shortened 2020 then was brutally bad in the postseason. And now, it has come out that his elbow has been barking this spring even though he's been able to pitch through it. Really seems that he's not totally healthy, and probably not a great bet to make it through the season without additional issues.

And just saw he was 90-91 on Wednesday, well below his usual velocity. Too many red flags here going back to 2020.

Rays reliever Nick Anderson dealing with elbow issues (tampabay.com)

Edited by rdf8585
  • Thanks 4
4 hours ago, rdf8585 said:

Getting concerned about Nick Anderson. He had a forearm issue in the shortened 2020 then was brutally bad in the postseason. And now, it has come out that his elbow has been barking this spring even though he's been able to pitch through it. Really seems that he's not totally healthy, and probably not a great bet to make it through the season without additional issues.

And just saw he was 90-91 on Wednesday, well below his usual velocity. Too many red flags here going back to 2020.

Rays reliever Nick Anderson dealing with elbow issues (tampabay.com)

He's the kind of guy I'm hoping someone else will pay for.  I'm not touching him with a 10 foot pole.