NBC Sports Edge Forums

Hassan Whiteside 2020-2021 Outlook

4 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

Im not a coach nor do I watch many Hassan Whiteside games but really whats the deal? When given minutes hes a double double with like 3 blocks per game. You would think cause of the blocks hes good defensively. Is it a case of well centers need to stretch the floor and hits 3s now?

he's a bad IRL defender because he chases blocks.  He just kinda sucks now.  Even when he's gotten some minutes (like the OT game) he does nothing with them. 

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two scrubs centers for an all star and you didn't smash accept immediately??? Jesus man these Whiteside fangirls are nuts

He has 10 years worth of minutes. Who exactly are they showcasing him to? Aliens that just arrived on earth? Walton is desperate and Hassan is a break-in-case-of-emergency kind of guy on their roster.

Lol, if a team is in trouble, Whiteside is never the answer. He can only be the reason.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

Im not a coach nor do I watch many Hassan Whiteside games but really whats the deal? When given minutes hes a double double with like 3 blocks per game. You would think cause of the blocks hes good defensively. Is it a case of well centers need to stretch the floor and hits 3s now?

He stands near the basket waiting for rebounds and blocks. He leaves people wide open at the 3 point line because defending there doesn't lead to him getting stats. He never boxes out and tries his hardest to get rebounds even when his teammates are in a better position. He's purely a stat chaser and always has been.

The blazers went from 53-29 the season before to 35-39 last year  (yes I know other factors but he was a huge contributor to that drop), meanwhile the Heat went from 39-43 to 44-29 and a finals berth. A losing season for the trailblazers while having a top 10 player in the league healthy all season is hard to do. He's the Russel westbrook of big men.

Absolutely not disagreeing with Whiteside haters, since it's all valid arguments against him.  

I watched a ton of Blazers games last year due to having 3 of them, and it's clear Whiteside isn't mentally or emotionally strong as a baller.  He rarely played defense, and he got beat or failed to help teammates simply because he wasn't watching or didn't get into position.  Most of his blocks were due to him staying around the paint and raising his arms; if a big man shot treys, Whiteside wasn't going to challenge or leave the paint.  His points were mostly putbacks or easy feeds from the Blazers' guards, and he didn't offer much outside of 8 feet except to clog the paint on drives.  To be fair to Whiteside, Melo was even worse than him at stats-chasing (Melo would scream for rebounds and rip them away from teammates, or do his patented "receive pass and wait/dribble in place for 5-6 seconds until hoisting a contested midrange without passing", or just let people go by on defense).

On the other hand, I'll admit Whiteside's pretty fun to watch. He does gobble boards like crazy since he's so big and long, and his blocks (when he's engaged) are some nasty erasers.  And of course, he pretty much either dunks the ball or lays it in at the rim, so it's not often he misses.

He's also got some advanced stats to support his impact on the court:

(https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/kings/nba-free-agency-evaluating-how-hassan-whiteside-fits-kings)

(https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2020/12/16/21612064/2020-21-sacramento-kings-season-preview-hassan-whiteside-defense-shot-blocking)

"Whiteside finished the season with a 125 offensive rating and 107 defensive rating. Those are shockingly good numbers. He also managed to post 5.6 offensive win-shares and 3.0 offensive win-shares for a staggering 8.5 total win-shares, which ranked 12th overall in the NBA"

That being said, it still doesn't look like Whiteside's outlook is great.  As stated, he historically hates being benched or losing minutes (well, who does?), but instead of accepting it and working hard to challenge for a starter's role, he mopes, which leads to him getting even fewer minutes.  And it's just a terrible fit for him, since he's paired next to a PF who can't shoot or space the floor and who can play C as well (Bagley).  

I do think there's quite a few teams who could use him though, albeit as a backup C.  I could see the Dubs testing him out to replace Chriss and back up Wiseman (oft-injured Looney is too risky to rely on).  Pistons have no depth behind Plumlee at C, and ditto with the Thunder and Horford. Maybe the Sixers as Embiid insurance? Or the Heat, whose biggest problem last year vs the Lakers was failing to have anyone big enough to guard AD/D12/Javale.  I dunno.  Just a bad look for him and though I've got him in one league, I'm thankful I didn't invest in more Whiteside stock.

• Like 2

One more game tomorrow then some hard decisions to be made. Either try radical 2 for 1 (which is pointless my league is pretty clued in on his situation) or drop for miles bridges or deandre hunter. Us owners just have that irrational fear that we someone else gets whiteside and they get all the 15/15/4 blocks glory which has about 2% chance of happening but as the saying goes...so you’re saying there IS a chance?

3 hours ago, kobebryant24 said:

Let’s not get it complicated guys,

this guy sucks but you also don’t want other owners getting him and him replicating last season stats. 

that’s the real reason some of us are holding.

but that situation will literally never happen unless Holmes gets injured .  you gonna hold him all year hoping and waiting for an injury?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, summersoff7 said:

but that situation will literally never happen unless Holmes gets injured .  you gonna hold him all year hoping and waiting for an injury?

He was what, like top 15ish last years?  Even with injury there is no chance he's top 15ish.  Top 50ish maybe.

3 hours ago, summersoff7 said:

It's more like holding onto the fear that the moment they drop him, another team picks him up and he becomes a top 15 player again. After you are ok with waiting a week or two from this fear, it's not hard to talk yourself into months of waiting because you have "invested" already.

• Like 1

Typing in "Whiteside" every morning to my Yahoo leagues and then pressing "Show" has become like a second Christmas. Just waiting for that drop because to Holmes owners he's the most valuable handcuff in the league. He's like the Alexander Mattison of hoops.

7 hours ago, bbythepier said:

Typing in "Whiteside" every morning to my Yahoo leagues and then pressing "Show" has become like a second Christmas. Just waiting for that drop because to Holmes owners he's the most valuable handcuff in the league. He's like the Alexander Mattison of hoops.

The only thing whiteside is handcuffing is owners to the bottom of their league! It’s Literally carrying dead weight with him 

• Haha 1

if you are in first place playing in a non competitive league, then sure, pick  up that dead weight.

Yeah, it's a little different when you're the one holding Whiteside, lol.  Given most of us have stupidly used a mid-rounder on him, the draft investment, regret, and threat of him being used against us by a quicker owner (or one who can afford to stash) off the FA pool once/if Holmes/Bagley get hurt are the only reasons why we're hanging on.

It hurts to cut the cord so early and on such a high pick, but I think it's about that time where Whiteside's gonna start appearing on wires everywhere.  Simply doesn't look like he has any chance of finding minutes.  Sure, Bagley and Holmes are injury prone, but just waiting around and hoping they'd fall into an injury isn't a recipe for fantasy success.  I'd rather take my chances and try to pick him back up if that happens than letting him weigh down my roster.

• Like 2

Why tf are you guys taking my Whiteside = Mattison post seriously? Some serious low IQ posters in here concentrating on sarcastic sh*t.

Get tf off of me.

Edited by bbythepier
2 minutes ago, overtime2000 said:

3 minutes lol....do we laugh or cry at this point

I'm laughing on the outside and crying on the inside.

Edited by MWon

To think Myles turner went 40 picks after him in my draft ... the only thing I’m glad about is I handcuffed Holmes early so at least in a way straight swap him 

Edited by beejay6020