NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Commissioner's Corner

Starting it off with a Poll/Q:

If you were joining a dynasty league setup, which do you prefer:

a) Keep your entire Roster, always
b) Keep whomever you want, but at gradually increasing contracts (think: increase by $1 first year, $3 second year, $5 in third, and so on)
c) Keep a certain amount of players per year (say 15) every year
d) Other, explain

• Like 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definition of a Dynasty League is you keep ALL your roster if you wish. Period.  Option "B" is a Dynasty/Contracts Hybrid League.  Option "C" is called a Keeper League and has nothing whatso

In a typical league I don’t think you can tank 2 categories and win but in a 30 teamer with 10 teams in the money, it’s certainly possible to place. If you don’t think a team should be able to place b

I'm going to take this opportunity to pitch "innings pitched" as a stat. I've come to prefer this over wins or QS. Pitchers have a ton of control over their innings. There's also a pretty appropriate

4 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

Starting it off with a Poll/Q:

If you were joining a dynasty league setup, which do you prefer:

a) Keep your entire Roster, always
b) Keep whomever you want, but at gradually increasing contracts (think: increase by $1 first year, $3 second year, $5 in third, and so on)
c) Keep a certain amount of players per year (say 15) every year
d) Other, explain

Definition of a Dynasty League is you keep ALL your roster if you wish. Period. 

Option "B" is a Dynasty/Contracts Hybrid League. 

Option "C" is called a Keeper League and has nothing whatsoever to do with a dynasty format.  Oranges, apples and pears.

And yes I prefer playing in a true Dynasty league first last and foremost. Apples for me.  It is the only true dynasty league format you listed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Definition of a Dynasty League is you keep ALL your roster if you wish. Period. 

Option "B" is a Dynasty/Contracts Hybrid League. 

Option "C" is called a Keeper League and has nothing whatsoever to do with a dynasty format.  Oranges, apples and pears.

And yes I prefer playing in a true Dynasty league first last and foremost. Apples for me.  It is the only true dynasty league format you listed.

That's true of course, but I brought this topic up due to a recent conversation on The Athletic's podcast about building the perfect dynasty league: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/building-the-perfect-keeper-league/id1496657352?i=1000501923217

When creating a league like this, it's quite difficult to decide on these intricate rules. 

• Like 1

Our league is a combo of B and C.  We keep 15 players each year with a cap out salary amounts of those players.  Every year players get a raise.  This allows you to keep a core of players, while providing some churn.  

In my league we can keep up to 10 players. The keepers are placed at the beginning of the draft.

Good teams get to keep the players they invested in; while the weaker teams can rebuild a little easier by getting more up front draft picks. Helps with competitive balance.

Hey Everyone, Im starting up an auction dynasty league. 14 teams, 35 regular spots and 25 minors and was going to do a slow draft. Ive never done an auction slow draft before, so im asking if anyone with experience can help with how long I should have the nomination times and initial bid time and reset bid times be. I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by dbagleagues

ok guys next question

pro's and cons of using more rare stats in your dynasty leagues?

For example : Net Saves instead of just saves, net stolen bases instead of SB, OBP over AVG (is that even rare these days?), Holds, etc.

Basically anything outside of standard 5x5.

I'm going to take this opportunity to pitch "innings pitched" as a stat. I've come to prefer this over wins or QS. Pitchers have a ton of control over their innings. There's also a pretty appropriate hierarchy of great SP > mediocre SP > great relievers > mediocre relievers. In fact, this and/or holds gives great non-closer relievers a good amount more value, as they tend to put up innings not far behind a lot of the bad starters floating around while still helping ratios.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Hanghow said:

I'm going to take this opportunity to pitch "innings pitched" as a stat. I've come to prefer this over wins or QS. Pitchers have a ton of control over their innings. There's also a pretty appropriate hierarchy of great SP > mediocre SP > great relievers > mediocre relievers. In fact, this and/or holds gives great non-closer relievers a good amount more value, as they tend to put up innings not far behind a lot of the bad starters floating around while still helping ratios.

15 or so years ago when I started Fantasy baseball I had a school league with IP and dissed them so much for it as a stat. I streamed my way to victory in it every week.

Nowadays? This is the first time ever where I see it as possibly a viable strategy.

The way the game has changed makes IP a possible good stat to have in fantasy.. hmm

• Like 2
2 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

15 or so years ago when I started Fantasy baseball I had a school league with IP and dissed them so much for it as a stat. I streamed my way to victory in it every week.

Nowadays? This is the first time ever where I see it as possibly a viable strategy.

The way the game has changed makes IP a possible good stat to have in fantasy.. hmm

I think it's best paired with transaction limits or weekly roster changes, but the creative use of pitchers these days makes it a much more viable option.

• Like 1
On 12/19/2020 at 7:28 PM, CrypTviLL said:

ok guys next question

For example : Net Saves instead of just saves, net stolen bases instead of SB, OBP over AVG (is that even rare these days?), Holds, etc.

Hate rare stats.  Unbalances the game. 

Non-rare, commonly used stats like quality starts, OBP, OPS I'm fine with.  They are as common as traditional 5x5 now.  Maybe used more in leagues than Average and Wins now even.  So is Saves+Holds instead of Saves only which is used more than the later in almost all private deeper leagues these days.

Net stuff sucks.  You don't take away a homer when a fly ball at the warning track that missed going out by a foot is caught so why take away a steal when caught in an attempt by a couple of inches say.  Hate net stuff with a passion can you tell.  :)

The really rare stuff is, like I say, totally unbalancing.  I joined a league once that had "RA" which stood for "relief appearances."  A middle reliever who came into a game ("appeared") and gave up a grand slam got the same one point as a starter who pitched 7 shutout innings.  Some guy in the league streamed has-been middle relievers to mine that one stat.  Stupid.  I quit that league to say the least.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
On 12/19/2020 at 4:28 PM, CrypTviLL said:

ok guys next question

You don't want to use rare stats like Errors, grand slams, no hitters, stuff lke that.  Net Saves or Net SBs over the regular is perfectly fine, but I don't think it makes the game more fun. There's no real reason to use it, but if your league really wants to, I also think its not unfair or will break your league.  I rather use SV+Hld than just saves or net saves if you're intent on using a relief stat like that.

You certainly want to use OBP, or better yet OPS, instead of average if possible. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

IP might be a better roto stat than a h2h stat maybe, because it's easier to stream if you dont have rules against.  I think overall IP might be better than W or QS personally. I'm not sure you should be punished for not receiving make or break stats like QS/W because your team is using you optimally for 4 IP or whatever, or an opener before you.  This way the workhorses will always have an advantage over the 4-5 IP guys because they will throw more inning but it wont be the cut and dry wins/QS eligible vs nothing.  

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

In all of my roto keeper leagues we have 1600 IP limit for the season so it would be a 10 way tie in IP with everyone maxing out. I don'y like putting limits on starts for sp type thing so the IP can't work in my leagues. 

Maxing out the IP is easy, sure, but it's not so easy to have good ERA/WHIP to go along with it. As stated above, if paired with roster/acquisition limits, IP is the way to go. 

18 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Maxing out the IP is easy, sure, but it's not so easy to have good ERA/WHIP to go along with it. As stated above, if paired with roster/acquisition limits, IP is the way to go. 

I don't ever want aquisition limits. I like more league activity and not less. I love when myself or another pick up 25 guys a week to use daily from studying matchups/hot guys, etc. Just have the end cap of 162 games per position and 1600 IP for the season. So IP wont work. I see it working better in h2h leagues with max starts per week type stuff.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

You don't want to use rare stats like Errors, grand slams, no hitters, stuff lke that.  Net Saves or Net SBs over the regular is perfectly fine, but I don't think it makes the game more fun. There's no real reason to use it, but if your league really wants to, I also think its not unfair or will break your league.  I rather use SV+Hld than just saves or net saves if you're intent on using a relief stat like that.

You certainly want to use OBP, or better yet OPS, instead of average if possible. 

Saves + Holds is solid. We've used that the last few seasons. 

• Like 1
On 12/21/2020 at 2:17 PM, mavsfan23 said:

Zero desire for acquisition limits. And it’s not that difficult to max out 1600 ip and have good ratios. 

13 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

. And it’s not that difficult to max out 1600 ip and have good ratios. 

I don’t see how it’s possible for 12+ teams to have good ratios at 1600 ip. The math doesn’t work , not sure it works for 10 teams either.  Unless this is a non competitive league and you’re referring to the few teams trying. I mean there’s no way that many teams can have a sub 3.5 era and 1.15 whip or something. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

Just realized I have a topical question.  So say I’m tryna start up a 30 team salary roto league.  (Hypothetically!).   And the roto is 6x6, with the pitching cats being QS/IP/WHIP/ERA/SV+HD/K per 9.

Is it a necessity to institute a innings /minimum/ do you think? IE, would it be feasible to be competitive by just going for RP and tanking 2/12 categories (QS+IP)?  The top 10 teams get in the money to some extent. 

note: not a typical roto player lol

Edited by Fbaseballgod