Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Otto Porter Jr. 2020-2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

I wonder if this benching could be a sign that teams recognise his body isn't suited for consistently heavy minutes anymore. After all, he has a reputation for picking up injuries.

Come to think of it, the Bulls benching him for Pat Williams at the start of the season not only made sense from a youth development perspective but also from a injury prevention perspective.

Will watch and see over the next few games if this slow start is just the result of the Magic trying to acclimate him to the team and playbook, or if there's more to it than it seems. On paper, he should be starting and playing heavy minutes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jehob said:

if dwayne bacon is stopping anyone from anything surely they're a drop? 

well im just saying dwayne looks at a lot of his teammates who have open looks and basically tells them im this generations Kobe Bryant, Im not giving you the ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, csklmf said:

People think they got value scooping Birch or the guy that sounds like one of the Hawaiian islands...... but I honestly think OPJ will return top 75 value given enough minutes and healthy 

 

14 pts 7 reb 4 ast 1 stl 2 3ptm 

 

i called it 

Orlando invested a first round pick on Okeke, he's gonna play and this is basically his rookie season because of his injury when he was drafted. I don't why you hating, there is definitely value in his game even as a rookie finding his way in the NBA. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think him and Wendell playing their first game of the bench is by design. No way Ennis and Birch should start over them. If yoi watched the first quarter your eyes will hurt on how every starter wants to chuck their own shots, no passing game no plays whoevers got the ball first shoots. You should not overract on this game. Okeke should be the only on left on the starting unit today. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Brown_Mamba said:

I think him and Wendell playing their first game of the bench is by design. No way Ennis and Birch should start over them. If yoi watched the first quarter your eyes will hurt on how every starter wants to chuck their own shots, no passing game no plays whoevers got the ball first shoots. You should not overract on this game. Okeke should be the only on left on the starting unit today. 

Look at the players closing right now, this should be the starting lineup until Ross comes back. Randle-Bacon-Okeke-OPJ-WCJ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He plays Tues/thurs/Saturday this wk, these are all prime days with very low games. A gd wk to evaluate the situation, if he stinks the next two games up or it’s simply looking like it won’t work out, drop and stream for the weekend.

Edited by IDatDude
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, IDatDude said:

He plays Tues/thurs/Saturday this wk, these are all prime days with very low games. A gd wk to evaluate the situation, if he stinks the next two games up or it’s simply looking like it won’t work out, drop and stream for the weekend.

I think he will be fine.  He had no practices, just a pick up game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Hey man when the Bacon is sizzling you can't complain lol

I mean he has been shooting the ball well recently which you know is going to correct itself pretty damn soon and Bacon is still going to ignore his teammates and try to go 1 on 5 lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

I mean he has been shooting the ball well recently which you know is going to correct itself pretty damn soon and Bacon is still going to ignore his teammates and try to go 1 on 5 lol.

Honestly one of the worst players in the NBA. Clifford loves him for some reason, probably just for the name lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was also a very encouraging sign that not only did Otto close the game, but coming out of the timeout Clifford drew up the last shot for him. Shows that he has confidence and trust in him, even with Dwayne Pancetta chucking all the shots the entire game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, In Spades said:

He came off the bench and had no time to practice or gel. The team is searching for an identity and their lineups are changing rapidly by the game -- now MCW might be out. Giving it another game or so.
 

 

... team is searching for an identity .... 

In the case of Orlando, players will try to assert their roles by trying to put up big stats and take on the alpha role. Edge goes to the point guards/shooting guards since they have the ball most of the time making it difficult for wings and low post players to increase their usage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ez2do4now said:

... team is searching for an identity .... 

In the case of Orlando, players will try to assert their roles by trying to put up big stats and take on the alpha role. Edge goes to the point guards/shooting guards since they have the ball most of the time making it difficult for wings and low post players to increase their usage.

So basically you're describing his career in Washington where he played behind Wall and Beal, but still put up 2nd-3rd round value 😉

Kidding. Let's see what Clifford does after a couple practices. He probably wants to incorporate team ball and instill an NBA offense that scores higher than 80ish points. Very promising that for this first game the coach trusted him to take the final shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, In Spades said:

So basically you're describing his career in Washington where he played behind Wall and Beal, but still put up 2nd-3rd round value 😉

Kidding. Let's see what Clifford does after a couple practices. He probably wants to incorporate team ball and instill an NBA offense that scores higher than 80ish points. Very promising that for this first game the coach trusted him to take the final shot.

Yes, just like in Washington were Wall and Beal hogged the ball and took all the shots. That's the style of today's NBA where guards are dominating the games and it's illustrated in the player's rankings. Exceptions of non guards highly ranked players is because they are super stars or team lacks a scoring guard.

I always liked Porter's all around stats but inconsistency was maddening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...