NBC Sports Edge Forums

WHIR Draft Giannis, Jokic or Dame

Hi all,

I am in the difficult position of drafting 6th in an 8-team, 9 cat H2H league. After some intra-league scouting, it appears that Harden, AD, Steph, Kat and Luka will be taken 1-5. 

In my eyes, that leaves me with Giannis, Jokic or Dame. Giannis would be the easy choice rankings wise, but as it is a category league, I am not overly excited by his turnovers, 3PTM or his FT%. Any advice on who of these 3 would be best to take first? FYI, I am targeting Devin Booker or Trae for my 11th pick.

Thanks all and happy to help in return!

I would probably go Jokic since cat league. Dame is nice but I think Jokic and Giannis give more overall stats. So its really Giannis v. Jokic. The biggest problem for Giannis is the FT%. His FT% is low and he takes a lot. That will kill your FT%. So I would value Jokic slightly more just because way better FT%. If you don't care about FT% then Giannis.

Edited by mamba545
  • Like 1

Jokic's the safest, and I'm always a fan of drafting star bigs early.  Dame has been going REALLY high lately, due to his dependability, but you're right - you do have options with Booker/Trae to replicate his output at your 2nd round pick. Giannis ... IMHO I pick him only when I have a clear plan and path to punt FT%.  Unless you wanna go something like Giannis/Lebron/Simmons/Drummond/Gobert and then load up on shooters later in the draft (which is entirely feasible if not a bit too ideal), I'd probably pass on Giannis.

I'd say Jokic, and combine him with Trae or Booker to create a very safe core, and then find some blocks with your next pick.

• Like 1

Overall, jokic is the safest pick imo. Doesn't hurt you in any of the categories (except to sometimes, but it doesn't matter tbh). Also assists are hard to come by later in the draft so a 1st rounder with good assists numbers is always a good pick. 

Definitely if u pick Giannis, I would recommend you to punt ft 90% of the time because of his ft volume (based from the past 3 seasons) 

As for dame, I think jokic would be better than him overall in 9 cat as 3pm and points are the only thing Lillard can surpass jokic on (which jokic can also contribute btw) 

• Like 1

I'd go Giannis. I just feel his other cats are dominant enough to make up for his FT% and 3's. I also don't mind going Jokic here... but would probably pass on Dame and look to pick up your guards a bit later.

Edited by Idoolittle