NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Josh Jackson 2020-2021 Outlook

DonutGiveUp

Best case he becomes the new Wood, possibly ending up starting if the Pistons jettison players and shut down Blake at the deadline.  Worst case he's waiver fodder, or even worse borderline waiver fodder who puts up just enough to stay as the 13th man on your team.    

I still think I'd take Maledon over him just due to role, but Jackson's blocks from a wing position are absolutely maddening to ignore.  

9 hours ago, Crazycanto said:

I mean my team is already in the gutter for FT% anyway. I'm more interested if he can put up 1-2 threes on decent percentages, a block and steal per game, and more importantly a consistent 6th man role as a floor.  

These expectations sounds realistic from where I'm standing. Let's see tomorrow shall we?

7 hours ago, In Spades said:

Glad to see Ellington's return didn't effect his minutes too much. Would love to see him consistently get 30, but that might take a bit until Blake calls it quits to focus on podcasting for the rest of the season.

I see Blake sitting out one of these B2B coming out, so he should get a longer run in one of these games coming up

• Like 1

It’s crazy to me that these Pistons can’t find more minutes for their young players despite being the worst team in the league by far. On a team with the worst record in the league and no superstars or exciting prospects, washed up 31yo Blake Griffin is still getting 31mpg, 30yo Mason Plumlee is getting 28mpg, 33yo Wayne Ellington is getting 23mpg (and several games of 30+), and 32yo Derrick Rose was getting 23mpg. Why? Meanwhile, their rookie #7 pick Hayes couldn’t get 20mpg, their rookie #16 pick Stewart gets 18mpg, their rookie #19 pick Bey gets 19mpg, and their #15 pick from a year ago Sekou can barely get 13mpg. It’s absurd. How do the Pistons look at what OKC is doing and decide that they’re going to do the complete opposite?

Dwayne Casey is also coming off as the most demoralizing/ least empowering coach for young players in the entire league. IDK how young players get energized to go out and play for him when all he does is hold them back while sucking off vets. Instead of rewarding JJ and letting him build off that performance against the Lakers, he starts Griffin and plays him 31 mins. He also started Wayne Ellington and gave him 15 first half minutes to JJ’s 9. 

I get Josh Jackson has low bball IQ and makes mistakes. There’s a reason he’s already on his 3rd team after being the 4th pick just four years ago. He’s also a 6’8 wing that has a lot of flashes. On this Pistons team, he should be getting 34+ minutes every night. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

It’s crazy to me that these Pistons can’t find more minutes for their young players despite being the worst team in the league by far. On a team with the worst record in the league and no superstars or exciting prospects, washed up 31yo Blake Griffin is still getting 31mpg, 30yo Mason Plumlee is getting 28mpg, 33yo Wayne Ellington is getting 23mpg (and several games of 30+), and 32yo Derrick Rose was getting 23mpg. Why? Meanwhile, their rookie #7 pick Hayes couldn’t get 20mpg, their rookie #16 pick Stewart gets 18mpg, their rookie #19 pick Bey gets 19mpg, and their #15 pick from a year ago Sekou can barely get 13mpg. It’s absurd. How do the Pistons look at what OKC is doing and decide that they’re going to do the complete opposite?

Dwayne Casey is also coming off as the most demoralizing/ least empowering coach for young players in the entire league. IDK how young players get energized to go out and play for him when all he does is hold them back while sucking off vets. Instead of rewarding JJ and letting him build off that performance against the Lakers, he starts Griffin and plays him 31 mins. He also started Wayne Ellington and gave him 15 first half minutes to JJ’s 9. 

I get Josh Jackson has low bball IQ and makes mistakes. There’s a reason he’s already on his 3rd team after being the 4th pick just four years ago. He’s also a 6’8 wing that has a lot of flashes. On this Pistons team, he should be getting 34+ minutes every night. 

Terrible coach. Team should be in a rebuild but he thinks he can compete

Just now, claptondecheeks said:

He’s held back players for years- it’s his MO. FVV and Siakam didn’t flourish until Casey was gone. 

Trust me as a Raps fan i was celebrating his departure. Dude is too stubborn and like Thibs just hates young players 

7 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Trust me as a Raps fan i was celebrating his departure. Dude is too stubborn and like Thibs just hates young players 

Yup Raps homer here as well and Casey was just not very good. He's living in a different era with a mindset too old-school for the modern NBA

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Yeah but at least Thibs does get decent results. I get the IQ drama, but he has the Knicks in playoff contention and Barrett + Randle are playing their best ball ever. 

I would be mad if I were a Pistons fan bc with Wood last year and JJ this year, the Pistons had/ have a chance to be that team that all the talented but overlooked guys want to play for bc they could go there for a couple of years and earn their way to stardom. Instead, they’re becoming the team those guys want to avoid bc they don’t want to give them a chance.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

Yeah but at least Thibs does get decent results. I get the IQ drama, but he has the Knicks in playoff contention and Barrett + Randle are playing their best ball ever. 

I would be mad if I were a Pistons fan bc with Wood last year and JJ this year, the Pistons had/ have a chance to be that team that all the talented but overlooked guys want to play for bc they could go there for a couple of years and earn their way to stardom. Instead, they’re becoming the team those guys want to avoid bc they don’t want to give them a chance.

Ya man, imagine Wood and Grant front court with Delon, JJ and the youth? Pistons just can't hire a modern NBA coach they keep looking to the past

1 hour ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Ya man, imagine Wood and Grant front court with Delon, JJ and the youth? Pistons just can't hire a modern NBA coach they keep looking to the past

Me too. I really don't understand why they never resigned Wood. Maybe they thought he was too old? Maybe he had arguments with management?

They would be the laughing stock of the NBA (well maybe MIN would still beat that) if Grant didn't turn out to be such a star. Plumlee would not have been able to play without an offensive threat like Grant and Killian Hayes, let's admit it, has not proven his international experience worth to be picked this high.

In terms of JJ, I know from owning past years he's had huge ups followed by huge downs. Right now is up but I have serious distrust of him. That's just me though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

In terms of JJ, I know from owning past years he's had huge ups followed by huge downs. Right now is up but I have serious distrust of him. That's just me though.

That's my concern with JJ as well. He's got so much talent, but it's also combined with a really low Bball IQ. He makes a lot of stupid mistakes and often gets disengaged with plays, which doesn't bode well with a old-school coach like Casey.

Casey can’t find 30 min for JJ in a blowout loss but he can find 33 min for Griffin and 24 min for Ellington.

Here’s a tip, you Jabroni: give JJ 12 more minutes by 1) starting JJ out of position over Ellington at SG and playing Ellington 20 min or less and 2) play Griffin 7 minutes left, **** grant to his natural PF position, and play JJ with Grant more. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

Casey can’t find 30 min for JJ in a blowout loss but he can find 33 min for Griffin and 24 min for Ellington.

Here’s a tip, you Jabroni: give JJ 12 more minutes by 1) starting JJ out of position over Ellington at SG and playing Ellington 20 min or less and 2) play Griffin 7 minutes left, **** grant to his natural PF position, and play JJ with Grant more. 

Idk why Blake even gets any kind of significant minutes. Dude is completely cooked. 

16 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Idk why Blake even gets any kind of significant minutes. Dude is completely cooked. 

These dumb a**, stubborn coaches need to hire fantasy bball players to guide the rotations. Like a minutes coordinator, like how the NFL has explicitly defensive/ offensive coordinators. 

• Haha 2