NBC Sports Edge Forums

Darius Garland 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Garland better start learning from MCW so he can pass your eye test.

You mean the one bad game he's had this entire season?

2 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Coby and Devonte are overrated and both are chuckers as well lol.

Yes, that's exactly right. They'll keep on shooting regardless. I don't see D Garland that way just yet. I owned him during his rookie year and he plays within the bounds of the offense. He's not someone who will set something up to get opportuntities for himself and I think that's just all about confidence and coexisting with teammates and how the coaching staff can elevate his game.

A Drummond is definitely the catalyst here. If they can be effective and strong in their pick-and-roll game and can lead the team in wins then yeah, Garland can have a breakout year indeed.

1 minute ago, wisegeeks said:

Yes, that's exactly right. They'll keep on shooting regardless. I don't see D Garland that way just yet. I owned him during his rookie year and he plays within the bounds of the offense. He's not someone who will set something up to get opportuntities for himself and I think that's just all about confidence and coexisting with teammates and how the coaching staff can elevate his game.

A Drummond is definitely the catalyst here. If they can be effective and strong in their pick-and-roll game and can lead the team in wins then yeah, Garland can have a breakout year indeed.

Through 2 games, Drummond has been the most inefficient player the world has ever seen. He has not been the "catalyst" for these wins. He stuffs the fantasy stockings with stocks but his play so far has been real life trash. 

This temporarily derailed the Garland thread, but I'm out on advice from wisegeeks. We see two different worlds.

1 minute ago, bbythepier said:

Through 2 games, Drummond has been the most inefficient player the world has ever seen. He has not been the "catalyst" for these wins. He stuffs the fantasy stockings with stocks but his play so far has been real life trash. 

This temporarily derailed the Garland thread, but I'm out on advice from wisegeeks. We see two different worlds.

To clarify, catalyst for Garland's numbers. Not for CLE team as a whole.

Pick and roll, inside-out play, and 3-pt shooting is what can make the CLE young guns start going somewhere.

Defensive-end, Drummond and Nance will already handle it. Actually, K Love should be traded away to make way for this young team.

Edited by wisegeeks
4 minutes ago, wisegeeks said:

Garland will end up higher in 9 cat rankings than both Coby/Devonte at the end of the season if he continues to play within the bounds of the offense like you say. 

• Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Coby White is garbage. Garland is the next Kyrie Irving. Haters just missed picking him up. 

watch actual basketball, not just stats and highlights. He's style of play is way far from Uncle Drew. He's going to be more of a D-Lo.

1 minute ago, DezedandConfused said:

Garland will end up higher in 9 cat rankings than both Coby/Devonte at the end of the season if he continues to play within the bounds of the offense like you say. 

Yes I could agree to this. I mean Devonte is strong for a punt FG% TO kind of build that's why he's low on the rankings. I think Coby White will also be close to that on a bad season.

I expect big numbers from Darius, but don't forget he's the type of guy who will be overvalued no matter how good he gets because he's a high-volume scoring starter w/o defensive value (yet). If he puts together a few more gems, a savvy trader could get a massive return on him before he's proven, but it's always hardest to say goodbye to a fresh 20-25ppg scorer

5 minutes ago, wisegeeks said:

Yes I could agree to this. I mean Devonte is strong for a punt FG% TO kind of build that's why he's low on the rankings. I think Coby White will also be close to that on a bad season.

True punt build rankings are different but considering where each of these players were taken in the fantasy draft this season, Garland wins out no matter what imo. 

5 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

True punt build rankings are different but considering where each of these players were taken in the fantasy draft this season, Garland wins out no matter what imo. 

Yup I grabbed Garland off the wire so it's already a win

58 minutes ago, wisegeeks said:

I say this is still fluke-ish. If you can swap him for Coby White, go ahead and do it.

This is high level gambler stuff though.

It's soooo hard to do, even for degenerates like me (and sounds like you), but you know it's probably the move that will win long term.

It's like betting the Jets to cover the spread when they're routinely facing +14-17 point spreads and you just keep making money even though they have no wins on the season (until Rams game, LOL).  

That being said, they've definitely not covered a couple times too, so there's still chances that Garland completely outplays Coby, but overall, the profit on betting the dogs (buying low) is still in the positive right now.

45 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

This is high level gambler stuff though.

It's soooo hard to do, even for degenerates like me (and sounds like you), but you know it's probably the move that will win long term.

It's like betting the Jets to cover the spread when they're routinely facing +14-17 point spreads and you just keep making money even though they have no wins on the season (until Rams game, LOL).  

That being said, they've definitely not covered a couple times too, so there's still chances that Garland completely outplays Coby, but overall, the profit on betting the dogs (buying low) is still in the positive right now.

Expecting the Jets to cover and do better than they are expected to do is different than expecting Garland to do worse. From what I can see, he is doing this in the flow of the offense. He has targets that hit their shots. He has individually worked on his game and his physical strength. He has cut down bad shots.

So I'm trying to figure out why he can't keep it up, or at least outperform Coby White. Note the Coby White has a low sample size of excellent play, so you could also argue the quality from him was not sustainable. 

• Like 1

Coby White's problem ever since his scouting report is that he has trouble with strength and playing vs the physical aspects of NBA guards (or from what I remember). Like he can explode offensively but if usually the starting lineup is strong enough to put a stop to him. On defense, it is worse and I see him getting exposed when he switches onto Lavine's player. I wouldn't say he is proven yet.

Garland's thing is supposed to be his lateral wiggle and then shooting the open shot. He is also largely unproven coming out from preseason, only turning it on these two games .

I would really say they are in a similar level of breakout. Maybe Coby is a bit ahead but he also has more examples of duds.

Edited by rob0403

I like him and hope he keeps it up, but he's played against 2 bad teams. He will play against Simmons and the Sixers on tired legs on a back to back tonight after having played 40+ mins the previous night. This will be the first real test for him this year although I certainly won't blame him if he struggles after playing all those minutes and going up against a good defender.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

People are forgetting that there's a really good young guard named Kevin porter Jr. sitting on the cavs bench. I'm wondering how he will affect the numbers when they let him play. 

Although it would be a super Cavs move to bench their best player of recent, I'm not seeing it.  If anything Porter turns into a 6th man considering he's more of a combo guard anyway.  

• Like 1

There's definitely potential for the Cavs guard rotation to get ugly but even when KPJ comes back there's enough mins for Garland and Sexton to stay relevant and his return only strengthens the Cavs bench.  At the moment the bench is super weak.  Exum is a bust, Delly is ok for some energy or hustle now and again but that's about it, and Dotson is just depth.  Garland and Delly are the only ones who have shown anything close to an ability to run an offense and be a creator.  As long as the team keeps passing the rock and preaching ball movement guys will get shots.  Remains to be seen how generous players are feeling when we're 2 months into the season and the Cavs record sucks.  It's inevitable some guys will start to look for their own shots and not play team ball (Drummond has started this already).

Edited by ComeOnAndSlam
4 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

He has improved and is going to be useful for sure, but some regression is in order because he isn’t going to shoot 59% all season. So how far it will drop remains to be seen. 

Most of us who own him in 10-12 teamers got him from the wire, so even if his percentages go down every now and then we can't really complain lol. I'll take the good with the bad all day

6 hours ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

There's definitely potential for the Cavs guard rotation to get ugly but even when KPJ comes back there's enough mins for Garland and Sexton to stay relevant and his return only strengthens the Cavs bench.  At the moment the bench is super weak.  Exum is a bust, Delly is ok for some energy or hustle now and again but that's about it, and Dotson is just depth.  Garland and Delly are the only ones who have shown anything close to an ability to run an offense and be a creator.  As long as the team keeps passing the rock and preaching ball movement guys will get shots.  Remains to be seen how generous players are feeling when we're 2 months into the season and the Cavs record sucks.  It's inevitable some guys will start to look for their own shots and not play team ball (Drummond has started this already).

Sexton + Garland are locked in starters & franchise cornerstones. Very fun duo to watch, I caught the game last night.

Everyone not named them, and that's including Drummond should worry about minutes. 

• Like 2