NBC Sports Edge Forums

Patrick Williams 2020-2021 Outlook

4th overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft.

Has the physical tools and stock potential to be a solid wing in this league.

Shot is a little iffy but looks like the Bulls will be giving him minutes.

He's starting for OPJ in the last 2 games of the preseason but unsure if this will carry on when the regular season starts. Note that Thad Young/Sato is out.

Thoughts on him?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This guy is getting plenty of minutes, in both starting and backup units, and is delivering. Just has skills, motor, and pace. I love that he plays within his skillset, forcing nothing. He is aggressi

I know it has been on and off, but it is back on now. Otto Porter is out indefinitely with back spasms, and his fat expiring contract is trade bait. As you all know, Patty and his grown man body

We tend to under-rate body control as an athletic attribute and it's probably the single most important attribute for finishing at the rim and in traffic after strength and leaping ability.  If you ha

Very interesting prospect for fantasy but I don't like a healthy (for now) OPJ being in front of him while he's also on a contract year. If OPJ goes down or gets traded, it's got a high change of probably going to be one of the better WW adds for the season.

Starting to feel like he’s got a very real chance at starting. Donovan has called for greater offensive balance between the bench and starting lineup, hence the move for him to start for OPJ as he’s able to play within the flow of the offense more. The trust is there for him.

If he doesn’t work out then so be it - I’ve dropped Hunter for him, so there’s not much sunk costs involved. But he has an extremely fantasy-friendly game (1/1/1 potential!) and I don’t think a vet like Thad Young, when he returns, will significantly impact his minutes much on a young, growing team. 

The team invested a 4th round pick on him.  You can call this a weak draft but Obi Toppin, Avdija, Killian Hayes, Tyrese Halliburton were all still on the board and they picked him.  This guy wasn’t projected to go inside top 10 in a weak draft.  The bulls must have known something the casual fan base doesn’t.  In any case they HAVE to play him since they’ve already invested so heavily.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, c_dog said:

The team invested a 4th round pick on him.  You can call this a weak draft but Obi Toppin, Avdija, Killian Hayes, Tyrese Halliburton were all still on the board and they picked him.  This guy wasn’t projected to go inside top 10 in a weak draft.  The bulls must have known something the casual fan base doesn’t.  In any case they HAVE to play him since they’ve already invested so heavily.

Or he's part of a long line of draft busts.  The Bulls haven't drafted an All-Star since 2011, so it's not like they're secret geniuses when it comes to outperforming all the experts.  The dude didn't even start in college, can't shoot free throws, doesn't get assists but gets decent amounts of turnovers, etc.  Fun late round flier would be my ceiling for him, but he still has Thaddeus Young and OPJ messing with his minutes.  There's other more upside players I'd rather have.  

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Kriggly said:

Or he's part of a long line of draft busts.  The Bulls haven't drafted an All-Star since 2011, so it's not like they're secret geniuses when it comes to outperforming all the experts.  The dude didn't even start in college, can't shoot free throws, doesn't get assists but gets decent amounts of turnovers, etc.  Fun late round flier would be my ceiling for him, but he still has Thaddeus Young and OPJ messing with his minutes.  There's other more upside players I'd rather have.  

Fair enough - there's obviously a chance he busts, and if he does, he's out. Simply put, if the team doesn't invest in him (and doesn't show he's worthy of that investment fantasy-wise), then he shouldn't be on any one's fantasy team. If the team does, however, then why not tag along for the ride?

The Bulls have let their rookies get ample playing time over the vets, especially when they have shown they are deserving of the opportunity. Case in point: Lauri Markkanen in 17-18 after Portis and Mirotic had that huge fight. He became a starter out of necessity, but held onto that spot because he played well. The Bulls showed faith in him.

The same might happen with Patrick Williams with Billy Donovan willing to give him the start even after not starting at all in college. It also helps that guys like Thad aren't on the same timeline as the Bulls, and OPJ needs to have his load managed after an injury-filled career. If Pat Williams plays well, great. If he doesn't and shows signs of busting, then so be it. He gets the drop. Preseason has showed he's leaning more towards playing well - but it's just preseason. I'd rather be on the boat early and miss, than to miss out completely.

Also would like to clarify: He shot 84% on free throws in college. He didn't start games on a DEEP Florida State team, but what's more important was that he finished them. His skillset is akin to a prototype 3&D wing a la OG Anunoby/Mikal Bridges, with some upside in on-ball scoring. A real disruptor on defense.

Edited by Espoiral
1 hour ago, Espoiral said:

Fair enough - there's obviously a chance he busts, and if he does, he's out. Simply put, if the team doesn't invest in him (and doesn't show he's worthy of that investment fantasy-wise), then he shouldn't be on any one's fantasy team. If the team does, however, then why not tag along for the ride?

The Bulls have let their rookies get ample playing time over the vets, especially when they have shown they are deserving of the opportunity. Case in point: Lauri Markkanen in 17-18 after Portis and Mirotic had that huge fight. He became a starter out of necessity, but held onto that spot because he played well. The Bulls showed faith in him.

The same might happen with Patrick Williams with Billy Donovan willing to give him the start even after not starting at all in college. It also helps that guys like Thad aren't on the same timeline as the Bulls, and OPJ needs to have his load managed after an injury-filled career. If Pat Williams plays well, great. If he doesn't and shows signs of busting, then so be it. He gets the drop. Preseason has showed he's leaning more towards playing well - but it's just preseason. I'd rather be on the boat early and miss, than to miss out completely.

Also would like to clarify: He shot 84% on free throws in college. He didn't start games on a DEEP Florida State team, but what's more important was that he finished them. His skillset is akin to a prototype 3&D wing a la OG Anunoby/Mikal Bridges, with some upside in on-ball scoring. A real disruptor on defense.

Thad is also stricktly backing up PF at this point. OPjr hasnt been looking good in a while either. Im thinking Patrick Williams will begin and end the year as their starter at SF. 

One thing Im watching as well is what Chandler Hutchinson will be doing. He's still a somewhat limited player but he has the ability to rack up decent stats (steals mostly) in limited time.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Kriggly said:

If you're going to be comparing Williams to previous draft picks, you should be comparing him to the draft history of Arturas Karnisovas, who has an excellent history of finding draft day steals in his time with the Nuggets. That's why the Bulls poached him.

https://pippenainteasy.com/2020/05/13/chicago-bulls-3-best-nba-draft-picks-for-karnisovas-with-the-nuggets/amp/1/

• Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, Brye said:

Until Otto Porter jr Is traded he’s no more than a streamer foddler, talented but much rather have Okoro,  vassel, Deni who all have much easier paths to minutes 

He may be starting immediately if they feel like they may need Otto's offense off the bench (which they likely do), so I wouldn't bank on them having an easier path by any means.

In redraft I would rank them: Vassel, Williams, Okoro

In Dynasty: Williams, Vassel, Okoro

Williams has looked extremely solid so far, smooth jumper, great defending. He's going to have a dangerous fantasy game sooner or later, whether he piles up the buckets or not.

6 hours ago, Brye said:

Until Otto Porter jr Is traded he’s no more than a streamer foddler, talented but much rather have Okoro,  vassel, Deni who all have much easier paths to minutes 

Coach Brooks just said the SF situation in Washington would be "in flux". Don't see how Deni is cemented to have an easier "path to minutes" just yet.

4 minutes ago, thornton1986 said:

Starting tonight. You guys running to grab? I’m tempted with this news plus with Lauri not signing the extension they may give him more burn 

*Tomorrow

I already own him (dynasty), but I would advise grabbing him. He looks like a defensive menace so far, smooth jumper, humble. If anyone is going to turn into Kawhi in this class, it's PWill. Just don't expect more than 10-12 points a night.

• Like 1

You love to see it. 
Unfortunately had to drop him for Burks due to higher likelihood of top-100 production and I needed scoring. It was between him and Vassell but if his minutes don’t pan out in the first game hoping to snag Williams when waivers clear. I’m confident both will get 25+ minutes this year.

Edited by Espoiral
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, kball09 said:

*Tomorrow

I already own him (dynasty), but I would advise grabbing him. He looks like a defensive menace so far, smooth jumper, humble. If anyone is going to turn into Kawhi in this class, it's PWill. Just don't expect more than 10-12 points a night.

All he needs is 1/1/1 with decent efficiency to be a useful end of bench SF option.  He needs to get PF eligibility as well so spam Yahoo with the requests.  I agree he's def not going to give you many points. Optimistically I think he'll average something like 9, 2, 6, 1, 1, 1 with 48% from the floor and 80% from the line.   Useful in deeper leagues for sure.

Also, he might not be starting although he is listed as the starter on the team notes Donovan says he hasn't settled on a starting 5 yet.  We'll have to wait for tmr to be sure.

Edited by laurilegend
  • Like 1

Surprised this guy isn’t getting more hype. He averaged a block per game in only 22 min in college. Usually wings with 1-1-1 potential get a lot more attention. 

He’s the perfect complement to this Bulls team. He can play SF with White/LaVine, he can play PF if they want to run Lauri as stretch 5, or when one of White/Lavine is sitting & they bring in Hutch and/or Porter, he fits so many rotations. Plus offers more playmaker ability than Porter or Thad. 

He fits perfectly with this situation, last year Dunn averaged 25 min & Sato averaged 28min. So he’s basically replacing Dunn’s minutes offering more size. Patrick has a clear path to 28 min a game.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, worldclass said:

Surprised this guy isn’t getting more hype. He averaged a block per game in only 22 min in college. Usually wings with 1-1-1 potential get a lot more attention. 

He’s the perfect complement to this Bulls team. He can play SF with White/LaVine, he can play PF if they want to run Lauri as stretch 5, or when one of White/Lavine is sitting & they bring in Hutch and/or Porter, he fits so many rotations. Plus offers more playmaker ability than Porter or Thad. 

He fits perfectly with this situation, last year Dunn averaged 25 min & Sato averaged 28min. So he’s basically replacing Dunn’s minutes offering more size. Patrick has a clear path to 28 min a game.

Getting a potential 1-1-1 guy without hurting your FTs is usually tough too. That’s where he really stood out to me. Took fliers in majority of leagues to see how this plays out.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, IDatDude said:

Getting a potential 1-1-1 guy without hurting your FTs is usually tough too. That’s where he really stood out to me. Took fliers in majority of leagues to see how this plays out.

A 1-1-1 guy like Otto Porter Jr? So he is a clone.

9 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Fantasy wise their impact is similar with PWill the poor man's Porter Jr for now.  IRL tho completely different players. 

I agree the path to minutes is there if they play more with Lauri at the 5.  Hard to say how bad Boylen ****** things up for everybody, maybe Lauri does play better sometimes as the 5 and there will be more minutes for P Will at the 4 in a small ball lineup.

7 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Porter has never averaged more than 0.6 blocks per game. Porter doesn’t get to the line enough either. He also is the most frustrating player to own, seems to lack drive.

Patrick has more playmaking skills than Porter. Bulls have zero reason to be patient with Porter once he goes into his typical month long slumps when they have PWill & Hutch. Bulls have a talented young squad, let them develop together.

36 minutes ago, IDatDude said:

I actually think he can really help you in FT, he could get to the line more than expected. He was taking on his defenders really well in preseason. Dude can ball.

Plus, I’d expect to see Donovan run similar pace with a team as young & athletic as the Bulls are to what he had in 18-19 with Westbrook/George. They were 6th in pace that year. Should be a lot more opportunities for shots. 

2 minutes ago, laurilegend said:

That would be top 75ish.  I'd take that and ******** run man.  I'm hoping for something like 12/6/1/1/1 on decent percents.

I purely meant for tonight to be clear :) No way the dude averages 4 stocks. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Patrick Williams 2020-2021 Outlook