NBC Sports Edge Forums

Immanuel Quickley 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He played the whole 4th Knicks won He guarded Trae He scored more than Elf taking half the shots He is clearly their best PG Thibs loves him You should be ahead of these

If jorma says to drop you definitely know hes worth holding.  Some of you guys are so impatient. 11-1-2 in 15 minutes. How often is elfrid gonna be matched up against a rookie pg? The magic are o

Nah, the poster is rightfully shaming the lack of empathy you are displaying. It’s not acceptable to wish an injury upon people, and especially for your fantasy team of all things.

Posted Images

Dropped  him a week ago in 2 leagues, in one of them he was immediately picked up, but after another perfonce like this I had to pick him up again (dropped Darius Bazley).

Portland defence isn't that soft, Dame isn't playing with his twin (CJ) and they boast some good perimeter defenders, like RoCo (who can't make a bucket to save his life)  DJJ and Rodney Hood.

Going 8/8 from the stripe and sunking five 3s in team desperate for outside shooting...

Very very impressive!

Man, I've added and dropped this guy so many times.  Gonna have to do it yet another time.  Some things I've noticed watching his games:

Pros: His shot, esp from range, looks really weird.  He shoots sorta like Kendall Marshall (if you remember him and Vasquez from the "this guy is gonna win me assists from the wire" fantasy days), or K-Mart, with a low release almost like a high schooler, but it goes in.  Seems fairly engaged to pass and play defense, which is nice.  Of course, FT% is a plus, and he doesn't turn over the ball much.

Cons: He REALLY likes that Mike Conley push floater.  I've never seen it be that effective or consistent of a weapon, and I think his insistence on it drops his FG%. I'd honestly prefer him to get to the rack more and absorb contact for those FT attempts.  Since he's a rookie, he does make some stupid decisions occasionally, but that's fine.  And obv Thibs isn't gonna let Payton/Rivers/Burks lose minutes too often, so that's a bummer.  Wouldn't mind seeing more stls from him too.

Overall, I'm rooting for him, and I think he's the one Knick for a while now about whom I've been fairly excited to build upon for the future.  Though he might go back to being a pumpkin with like, 15 minutes against the defensive minded Jazz, it's still an auspicious game for him.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, MilesBridgesBetterThanZion said:

If he can somehow manage to put on a show against spida off the bench he'll be a lock to start the next game, fingers crossed. 

More likely it'd be Clarkson or something off the bench, but if he schools D Mitch (or Conley if available), I'd be more than thrilled.  I'd imagine D Mitch is a better defender than Clarkson anyway.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rabaak said:

Looked pretty good last night. 24 min. Anybody watch the game.

PTS REB AST FG 3PT FT PF MIN STL BLK TO +/- FPTS
I. Quickley 31 3 4 9/18 5/8 8/8 3 24 0 0 1 +2 41

He was really good. Played the entire Q4, team relied on him to make plays at clutch time. He made mostly good, some bad decisions, made important free throws.

25 minutes ago, RAGINGROOSTER said:

Don't worry, Thibs will be rolling with Payton again and again and again and again.

I had my fill of Thibs when he was with the Wolves. Hopefully he doesn't have the reins as GM like he did with Minn. 

Players that don't buy into the Thibs way of playing got run out of town with the Wolves. Rubio, Lavine, Dunn, Markkanen (Chicago used the wolves draft choice on Markkanen) left and were replaced by J. Teague and Chicago Bulls North (Deng, Taj Gibson and D. Rose).  (D. Rose was good, but Thibs ran him into the ground).  And people wonder why the wolves have been so bad. 

Hopefully Thibs can't purge the Knicks of players who don't listen to him or get tired on his insane practices/workload.

It would be nice to have a coach adapt his system to fit the strengths of his players. Put your players in a position to succeed. That ain't Thibs.

12 hours ago, t0087669 said:

What’s the ceiling for him in a dynasty league? Top 50? Payton is UFA next year

I'm unsure what it means to have a top 50 ceiling? Does this mean his statistical profile limits him from breaking into the top 50, or could it mean that his best season will fall within the top 50? The wording doesn't seem to make any sense. Maybe you're asking if he has top 50 potential?

Watched the game. He needs minutes to really get into the flow of the game. Thibs mentioned no line up is static right now. IQ is easily the better PG over Payton, which isn't an unknown fact, I know. IQ can drive+score, dish, and hit the 3 much better than Payton ever will. However, with Thibs being defensive-minded, he opts to go with Payton because he can defend better. 

However, the offense becomes stagnant with Payton in. He can't create for others or himself, can't shoot, and continues to chuck up 3s just because he's open. It looks like they're not even running a play the majority of the time. Teams are starting to run zone defense on the Knicks and they seriously have no idea what to do. 

9 minutes ago, rabaak said:

I had my fill of Thibs when he was with the Wolves. Hopefully he doesn't have the reins as GM like he did with Minn. 

Players that don't buy into the Thibs way of playing got run out of town with the Wolves. Rubio, Lavine, Dunn, Markkanen (Chicago used the wolves draft choice on Markkanen) left and were replaced by J. Teague and Chicago Bulls North (Deng, Taj Gibson and D. Rose).  (D. Rose was good, but Thibs ran him into the ground).  And people wonder why the wolves have been so bad. 

Hopefully Thibs can't purge the Knicks of players who don't listen to him or get tired on his insane practices/workload.

It would be nice to have a coach adapt his system to fit the strengths of his players. Put your players in a position to succeed. That ain't Thibs.

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen. I know you mentioned the Bulls draft of Markkanen, but why even list him in a list of players Thibs supposedly "ran out of town" when he never actually played for the team? Why no mention of the fact they got Jimmy freakin Butler in that deal?

Thibs brought your trash franchise to the playoffs with a .573 winning percentage in only his second year, and y'all ran HIM out of town the following year and gave his job to an unproven kid because of his last name.

Thibs didn't draft Rubio and Jonny Flynn over Steph Curry. He didn't trade for Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett. He didn't draft and fail to develop Jarrett Culver. He didn't draft Anthony Edwards. He's not the reason Towns refuses to play defense.

In his first year with a flawed NY roster, he has the team in good position to make the playoffs. He's a national treasure and all he does is win. Show the man some respect.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I look at getting Jimmy Butler in the deal as a detriment. He did a much damage to the wolves as Tom did with his player moves

This article sums up the Tom Thibodeau stay at any franchise:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5/28/21273402/tom-thibodeau-knicks-coaching-rumors

This pretty much sums it up

a coach who cares about winning above all else, and a coach who runs his players into the ground. 

• Thanks 1

Tom Thibodeau said he likes having Immanuel Quickley work with the second unit.

Quickley went off for 31 points in just 24 minutes off the bench on Sunday as he helped the Knicks overcome a 20-point deficit and get within striking distance, but because he's a rookie, he'll remain in the reserve role under Tom Thibodeau. The fact that IQ finished Sunday's game with a team-high plus/minus rating of plus-2, compared to starter Elfrid Payton's plus/minus of minus-5, is irrelevant to Thibs.

15 hours ago, MWon said:

Cons: He REALLY likes that Mike Conley push floater.  I've never seen it be that effective or consistent of a weapon, and I think his insistence on it drops his FG%. I'd honestly prefer him to get to the rack more and absorb contact for those FT attempts. 

I noticed this also. Even Clyde commented on it during the last game. Interestingly, that shot really helps when he plays with Mitch, because it looks just like a lob, and allows IQ to decide whether to try the lob late into his move. So it could help IQ play alongside Mitch. Crossing fingers on this.

Overall, this is going to be a bumpy ride, but I'd like be holding when IQ finally starts.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

If anyone puts Payton on the bench, wouldn’t it be Burks? I thought he played point the last couple of years. 

False. He has received the majority of his minutes the last three years at either SG or SF. Highest percentage he had at PG was 8% and that was last year with the depleted Warriors. Now this year he is at 12% at PG with the Knicks.

1 hour ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I noticed this also. Even Clyde commented on it during the last game. Interestingly, that shot really helps when he plays with Mitch, because it looks just like a lob, and allows IQ to decide whether to try the lob late into his move. So it could help IQ play alongside Mitch. Crossing fingers on this.

Overall, this is going to be a bumpy ride, but I'd like be holding when IQ finally starts.

Ah, that's an excellent observation.  Never thought about it like that.  Mitch would be the perfect lob candidate as well, so that floater could possibly allow IQ to get further into the paint and make his shot success slightly higher.

WHEN?  Heh, I suspect the law of averages for the Knicks will play out and they'll start to falter eventually, but Thibs ... he's a stubborn coach for rooks.  I could see him playing down all of his other guys until they break.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:14 PM, RingMyBell said:

I made this mistake with Lu Dort 🙄

Good example how up and down some players are that you pick up off the waiver wire, and how the perception of their "value" can change very quickly. 

Dort had some value after his hot start at the beginning of the season. Then he fell off and became waiver wire fodder. Recently he had 3 straight 20 point games, including a 6 steal effort. He has some value again, right? He's scored 7 and 4 points the last 2 games. 

Quickley's been a little bit the same recently. But hopefully at some point he can break out for good. There's just no guarantee when that will be, especially if they trade for Derrick Rose.