NBC Sports Edge Forums

Immanuel Quickley 2020-2021 Outlook

4 hours ago, apatas said:

I know that risk can be justified, but it is really too early to make some conclusions. I surely don't add him if I don't see some evidence from regular season, not preseason. Why do you want all the time to decide so Quickley (I mean quickly)?

I agree. There is such a logjam of average NBA-level PGs above him on the depth chart and a new coach.  It really depends on your league but for now I would keep a close eye on him.  His AC is Kenny Payne.  I have read that Coach Cal and Payne are high on him but I am not sure what that tells us. However, if your league is deep and a dynasty, I would probably pick him up and hold for now.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/23/immanuel-quickley-screenshotted-his-way-into-knicks-nba-draft-hope/

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He played the whole 4th Knicks won He guarded Trae He scored more than Elf taking half the shots He is clearly their best PG Thibs loves him You should be ahead of these

If jorma says to drop you definitely know hes worth holding.  Some of you guys are so impatient. 11-1-2 in 15 minutes. How often is elfrid gonna be matched up against a rookie pg? The magic are o

Nah, the poster is rightfully shaming the lack of empathy you are displaying. It’s not acceptable to wish an injury upon people, and especially for your fantasy team of all things.

Posted Images

My own thoughts but, I think the franchise is obligated to NOT play him until later because:

1) he's just a second round pick, there's no pressure to actually play him immediately as vs say Ant man.

2) they really don't expect to win

3) No winning means they are obligated to try to find some value in the guards they have before they jettison them

4) The culture Thibs is building where nothing comes easy.

To be clear, he looks like he will Thrive in NY with the mobile big lineups.

Edited by rob0403

He's basically viral within Knicks culture, possibly New York itself? Was to be expected seeing how long that city has been waiting for a legit PG. It's a stash with a guaranteed payoff, he'll likely be unleashed oince their season is done coinciding with fantasy playoffs. Add before this situatuin escilates quickley. 

2 hours ago, rob0403 said:

My own thoughts but, I think the franchise is obligated to NOT play him until later because:

1) he's just a second round pick, there's no pressure to actually play him immediately as vs say Ant man.

3) No winning means they are obligated to try to find some value in the guards they have before they jettison them

He was the 25th pick in the first round

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

This is so #knicks logic, it hurts.

nOtHiNg cOmEs eAsY... but also, your job as a starter is safe because we don't expect to win anyway and our coach is OBLIGATED to continue rolling out the same guys. And of course, we have this young guy on our bench, who plays a position we have struggled to fill for god knows how long, but we can't play him because he is a sEcOnd rOuNd pIcK and the pressure hasn't gotten to us yet.

But yeah, anyway... Quickley was a 1st round pick, and Thibs absolutely expects to win. That much I know. So I guess all is well.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, MrCantaloupe said:

This is so #knicks logic, it hurts.

nOtHiNg cOmEs eAsY... but also, your job as a starter is safe because we don't expect to win anyway and our coach is OBLIGATED to continue rolling out the same guys. And of course, we have this young guy on our bench, who plays a position we have struggled to fill for god knows how long, but we can't play him because he is a sEcOnd rOuNd pIcK and the pressure hasn't gotten to us yet.

But yeah, anyway... Quickley was a 1st round pick, and Thibs absolutely expects to win. That much I know. So I guess all is well.

1000%

• Like 1

The primary reason I believe Quickley is getting the starting job is that his competition can't shoot. With their frontcourt incapable of spacing the floor, his shooting is needed to give the others space to operate.

Elfrid? Cut his hair too late

Frank? Lost confidence when he didn't gain The King's approval

DSJ? Busy slanging wood

Rivers and Burks lean more toward being scoring guards that create for themselves.

His on ball defense is good too because of his length. Their/his team defense can be worked on but I think it is hopeless for now because Mitch keeps on fouling. I wish Thibs is capable of fixing that for them.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone believes Elfriid or DSJ or Frank are actual starting caliber PG's. Back-ups at best. Might as well start Quickely if he's looking better. It's not like the Knicks are making the play offs or anything. Might as well hype up the young guy and work towards ROY award.

Watched a couple of his highlights. Not sure if I’m sold on him, as I don’t see him getting such easy looks/passes off against a more competent defensive team.

Will need to see how he performs against better teams before I get excited.

7 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

A Tom Thibs team relying on a rookie to start and jump start an offense. In what world am I in?

I grabbed him but would be shocked if he starts in the first month. And if he was behind a decent PG, he probably wouldn't start at all this year because of Thibs. But Payton is a mediocre PG that can't shoot. He will likely force Thibs hand early, especially when it's obvious the Knicks once again suck.

• Like 1

In a tough 12 team keeper with 16 spots (192 player deep league) he was the best guy I couldn't add after the draft once putting guys on IL. Definitely early grab target for the pure upside and last slot or two on roster.

Edited by rando

Thibs got his head coaching start with a fairly young Bulls team. He plays the "winning guys" in his eyes and rides them. The only thing I hate about Thibs is his irrational love for Jeff Teague when he was in Minny and ability to adjust to the current playstyle. While not getting the offers he wanted, he basically jumped from team to team on his break picking on the brains of different coaching staffs primarily the ones he was with on the Olympic squad. Thibs entered the league with the Van Gundy Knicks. It probably took him some time to adjust to the playstyle of today and the amount of distractions this generation have.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30545155/is-new-york-knicks-coach-tom-thibodeau-too-tough-toughest-job-sports

Hopefully, he sees that the space Quickley's shooting provides allows the other players to flourish.

Edited by OxyBubbleMan
  • Like 2

Another bonus to having this guy is that the hype will be insane if he performs well early, turning him into a great trade piece. New York will act like they struck the lottery if the Knicks show even a hint of not eternally sucking a**.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, kball09 said:

Another bonus to having this guy is that the hype will be insane if he performs well early, turning him into a great trade piece. New York will act like they struck the lottery if the Knicks show even a hint of not eternally sucking a**.

Isn't that why we are talking about him and/or picking him up? lol

37 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

Isn't that why we are talking about him and/or picking him up? lol

Ha, Partially for sure, but if someone like Maledon puts up the same great stats as Quickley a month from now, which one do you think will be easier to trade? I'm having flashbacks to the Jeremy Lin Era when he was bigger than Jesus for a while. 

Edited by kball09

Okay, Bullock for shooting. Quickley and Burks to the bench. We'll see how it goes.

Less time with the ball for IQ because Burks probably handles the playmaking duties. The hope is they make a run with him or the starters get blown out. Worst outcome is if he only comes out in garbage time.

Edited by OxyBubbleMan
20 minutes ago, OxyBubbleMan said:

Okay, Bullock for shooting. Quickley and Burks to the bench. We'll see how it goes.

Less time with the ball for IQ because Burks probably handles the playmaking duties. The hope is they make a run with him or the starters get blown out. Worst outcome is if he only comes out in garbage time.

Part of me likes that Quickley gets to play more with Burks and vice versa. But interesting decision by Thibs.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Immanuel Quickley 2020-2021 Outlook