NBC Sports Edge Forums

Immanuel Quickley 2020-2021 Outlook

23 hours ago, darkyume said:

I might consider holding until Tue's game (or whenever Rose arrives) just to make sure Elf isn't the odd man out. Whether IQ gets a DNP or not could be telling on whether they have any intention of developing him.

The timing of the Rose trade is interesting because Elf's no-trade clause expired just yesterday on 2/6 (http://www.basketballinsiders.com/new-york-knicks-team-salary/).

Good chance that Knicks would try to showcase Elf (unsuccessfully) at IQ's expense, even if their intention were to dump him though. The long-shot hope is that Knicks wanted to secure Rose as the backup PG and mentor to IQ (to make dumping Elf easier), but I'm not holding my breath.

I completely understand if some of you think I'm delusional 😂

No idea the likelihood but its possible.  Bring in Rose who Thibs feels would be a better vet PG mentor to his young guy, get rid of Payton, let Quickley start and Rose run the second unit.  As unlikely as it is that there's actually a market for Elfrid freaking Payton, who knows.  Maybe they've already been talking to teams and had someone interested, and now they can get the plan in motion.  And someone mentioned that Rose and Quickley aren't exactly the same style of player, but that doesn't mean Rose can't be a good mentor.

Otherwise just...wth?  Do they think trading for Rose pushes them to championship contender or something? 

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He played the whole 4th Knicks won He guarded Trae He scored more than Elf taking half the shots He is clearly their best PG Thibs loves him You should be ahead of these

If jorma says to drop you definitely know hes worth holding.  Some of you guys are so impatient. 11-1-2 in 15 minutes. How often is elfrid gonna be matched up against a rookie pg? The magic are o

Nah, the poster is rightfully shaming the lack of empathy you are displaying. It’s not acceptable to wish an injury upon people, and especially for your fantasy team of all things.

Posted Images

Watching game now.

Knicks media isnt dumb. Saying this middle of 2nd quarter, but Rose is here to MENTOR Quickley. Which is true, IQ brought up points of similarities to Rose such as playing with Coach Calipari in college and having Thibs as coach rookie year. Quickley and Rose are both sharing floor. Seems real loser in this is Austin Rivers. Would not stress so much. Quick's value fantasy wise definitely slightly decreases.

Many teams are going zone vs NY. Miami is right now. Burks used to handle ball a lil bit in bench squad, hes turned more into a shooter looks like. I expect Rose to take that over and also step in when Payton is struggling. Will be interesting if IQ will shoot more catch and shoot 3s, with Rose's ability to kick out after driving. But overall, Burks/Rivers look like losers in this trade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Cozie said:

No love for IQ after dropping 22pts on 77% shooting? 
I guess everyone dropped him already 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

Or the true believers never dropped. IQ will be on my team the rest of the way 100%

• Like 3
1 hour ago, stay_woke said:

Or the true believers never dropped. IQ will be on my team the rest of the way 100%

Wait, I thought the Knicks made the dumbest move by bringing in Rose and not developing IQ. They sacrificed developing to win now.

🤔 I guess you can have some cake and eat it too. 

2 hours ago, Cozie said:

No love for IQ after dropping 22pts on 77% shooting? 
I guess everyone dropped him already 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

The best news is that this isn't big news, especially with the Rose trade having just happened.

This is a guy who has been able to semi-regularly be able to drop 15-25 pts when getting 20-25 min PT, so I was definitely not gonna drop him unless I actually saw a DNP or further reduced minutes.

Edited by darkyume
  • Like 1
57 minutes ago, Cozie said:

Wait, I thought the Knicks made the dumbest move by bringing in Rose and not developing IQ. They sacrificed developing to win now.

🤔 I guess you can have some cake and eat it too. 

Still not huge on restricting his minutes to play elfrid, would feel much better if elf was traded. I like the mentorship aspect of Rose and their combination on the court. I still think bringing in Taj Gibson and moving Knox out of the rotation was an absurdly dumb move, why give up on a top 10 pick who is still only 21 and has shown flashes of ability. All in all the Knicks are still confusing themselves as a 'contender' when they should be in full blown development mode to see which of their many lottery picks has a future on their team.

6 hours ago, stay_woke said:

Yup, exactly. As long as you're comfortably in the playoff race, you should hold onto him. Depending on your league, he's got higher upside than anybody else on the wire.

Edited by rush007

He can win you the league if things go well for him.

I favour players with potential over end-of-bench role players. You can replace the first easily with the second if the upside does not translate to reality. That's why I think Quickley's an easy hold at this stage, unless you're struggling to make the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Aimar said:

He's too inconsistent this season, minutes and %s. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, rush007 said:

He can win you the league if things go well for him.

I favour players with potential over end-of-bench role players. You can replace the first easily with the second if the upside does not translate to reality. That's why I think Quickley's an easy hold at this stage, unless you're struggling to make the playoffs.

Value investing is a concept that’s clearly not understood by some posters in this thread.

A lot of people only pick up players when they get hot and already put up numbers, but I find that to be mind-numbing and you might as well not watch games with that approach.

FWIW, IQ’s per 36s are great so far (currently #53 9-cat on BBM), so there’s a good chance he’ll be very productive if/when Elf is traded and he gets starter minutes. I’m in for this lottery ticket 💪 

• Like 3

I'm still holding IQ rn but please don't forget that ELF has a NTC on his contract automatically so it is really up to Thibs to decide if elf should continue to get playing time or not because elfrid has a say in where he gets traded and i don't see him leaving NYC. Although as a knicks fan, i am hoping he somehow agrees to a trade so we can further develop IQ and he can be mentored by D rose.

• Thanks 1

D rose moved to the first unit with elf out so IQ actually gets the ball in his hands rather than just standing in the corner and he scores 16 with 2 assists and a steal in 8 fricken minutes. Can this horrible horrible coach please stop ruining this obviously super talented player. This franchise is a joke.

• Like 2

Payton out, IQ on fire, and he still only plays 20 minutes, outplayed by Frank even 😂 I hate this coach so much guys, please just trade him for a washed up all star already, Knicks don't deserve this talent.

• Like 1

Well, apparently teams interested in Payton. If I was Thibs (which means it's not going to happen) I would try to ride the rookie and see how hot his streak is. Then maybe I can confirm if I should move Payton at the deadline (I think Payton can dictate where he gets traded though).

Probably won't happen lol. 

1 minute ago, stay_woke said:

Payton out, IQ on fire, and he still only plays 20 minutes, outplayed by Frank even 😂 I hate this coach so much guys, please just trade him for a washed up all star already, Knicks don't deserve this talent.

Maybe Thibs is trying to conserve IQs greatness? 

He could run him out there 30+ mins a game, have him chuck more shots and give up more TOs...but that's not gonna help his development.

Dont get me wrong, I think he deserves a few more mins then hes been getting, and some of these other no-name/has-been guards need to be on the court less, but IQ is far out playing expectations. If they played him a ton of mins it would ruin his development, atleast for now. Maybe by end of season he'll be getting starter mins, depending on knicks place in standings and how serious they're taking this 'playoff run'.

I actually think Thibs is doing a great job with this Knicks team that has no biz being in contention.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gregp said:

Maybe Thibs is trying to conserve IQs greatness? 

He could run him out there 30+ mins a game, have him chuck more shots and give up more TOs...but that's not gonna help his development.

Dont get me wrong, I think he deserves a few more mins then hes been getting, and some of these other no-name/has-been guards need to be on the court less, but IQ is far out playing expectations. If they played him a ton of mins it would ruin his development, atleast for now. Maybe by end of season he'll be getting starter mins, depending on knicks place in standings and how serious they're taking this 'playoff run'.

I actually think Thibs is doing a great job with this Knicks team that has no biz being in contention.

Playing him more minutes would ruin his development, what??? I couldn't disagree with you more. He hasn't played more than 22 minutes since February 1st, meanwhile Haliburton (who has to split time with infinitely more talented guards) plays 30+ minutes every night. Man I can't understand these Thibs defenders who are so excited to see the Knicks get swept in the first round, if they even make it out of the play in tournament.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Playing him more minutes would ruin his development, what??? I couldn't disagree with you more. He hasn't played more than 22 minutes since February 1st, meanwhile Haliburton (who has to split time with infinitely more talented guards) plays 30+ minutes every night. Man I can't understand these Thibs defenders who are so excited to see the Knicks get swept in the first round, if they even make it out of the play in tournament.

I'm not saying dont play him at all, just no need to play him a ton of mins and have him out there chucking shots. I mean, the Knicks are winning.

Haliburton was a projected lotto pick, sure he fell in the draft, but he is a far superior player to IQ. 

Guarantee you if IQ started playing 30+ mins a game his FG% would drop even lower than it is, TOs would go up and Knicks would prob lose couple more games. It's just not worth it for a player that's far exceeding expectations. Hes not a good defender yet, and hes inconsistent on offense. Sometimes it's better to conserve greatness rather than force it. But hey, I'm rooting for the guy, hes fun to watch.

Tbh whatever Thibs is doing rn is fine cuz Knicks are 5th in East. Meanwhile Hali, Walton and Kings have lost 9 straight.

I don't think Thibs is someone savior or messiah, I don't even like the guy. But I like the direction the Knicks are going

• Like 3
  • Haha 1