NBC Sports Edge Forums

Precious Achiuwa 2020-2021 Outlook

I think this guy has a real shot at getting minutes on this Miami team considering its a merit based system where you have to earn your playing time. he had a stellar pre-season game posting a 13 15 2 line in only 22 minutes. and in college he averaged 16 11 & 2blks per game.

Miami doesn’t really have a solid 4 with the departure of jae crowder & derrick jones jr. so they would likely carousel the 4 spot with meyers leonard and kelly olynk. 

Anyways, he’s got great potential and i was looking through the depth charts and feel as if he can leap frog the power forwards eventually this season.

let me know what you guys think, i didn’t know who he was but the heat seemed sold on him and pat riley & co for sure know what they are doing.

57 minutes ago, shiftysaj said:

I think this guy has a real shot at getting minutes on this Miami team considering its a merit based system where you have to earn your playing time. he had a stellar pre-season game posting a 13 15 2 line in only 22 minutes. and in college he averaged 16 11 & 2blks per game.

Miami doesn’t really have a solid 4 with the departure of jae crowder & derrick jones jr. so they would likely carousel the 4 spot with meyers leonard and kelly olynk. 

Anyways, he’s got great potential and i was looking through the depth charts and feel as if he can leap frog the power forwards eventually this season.

let me know what you guys think, i didn’t know who he was but the heat seemed sold on him and pat riley & co for sure know what they are doing.

Had the same exact internal monologue today... when he gets announced as a starter...this week or whenever...scoooooooooooop

• Like 1

This guy just got crucial minutes over Adebayo in the 4th quarter. Serious defender. The fact that he's helping on wide open shots hurts his rebounding a little bit, but if he can stay on the court for 20-25 minutes, he shouldn't be far from top100 value. Clock is ticking.. .

Yeah he was looking really good out there. Great fit for this team and should get a bunch of run for one of the teams with least amount of rest between seasons. Could be a sweet fantasy piece as the season moves along. 

He serves as a great pick and roll guy for dragic off the bench. Miami knows what they are doing when drafting, he's basically bam's insurance. mind you he's still pretty raw on offense other than his athleticism but his defense is phenomenal and was doing a better job than most guarding zion & spo decided to rock with him to close the game out.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Precious Achiuwa 2020-2021 Outlook
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, sickrookie said:

Too bad this guy’s fantasy value is too short-term.. Bam might be back in a couple of games and his return will diminish Precious’ value. 

I wouldn't be so sure of that, yeah Bam will be back but this guy could easily up to 25 mins a game and can play next to Bam too. Olynyk won't stay this hot forever we know what he is

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

I wouldn't be so sure of that, yeah Bam will be back but this guy could easily up to 25 mins a game and can play next to Bam too. Olynyk won't stay this hot forever we know what he is

Spo won’t play Achiuwa at C and shift Bam to stretch 4. Olynyk’s 3pt shooting fits Jimmy and Bam better. At least for now. 

If the rookie is still available, now would be a good time to grab him off of the waiver wire. Achiuwa is much more than an emergency streaming option right now.

So is he pretty much a must pick up? Im confued. It's one game am I missing something?

My guess is he's at the point where Bam was 3 years ago. It's going to be a while before we can rely on him for steady fantasy numbers while being a tantalizing prospect that flashes glimpses of what Riley & Spo have seen.

4 hours ago, nrobinson_1984 said:

So is he pretty much a must pick up? Im confued. It's one game am I missing something?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, nrobinson_1984 said:

Eh, he looked great tonight, even guarding Embiid for a while.  He's definitely tenacious and his hustle results in lots of second chance points.  I've grabbed him, but really just to stream until the Heat are fully healthy, since he's a fine Bam handcuff for me.

5 hours ago, sickrookie said:

Spo won’t play Achiuwa at C and shift Bam to stretch 4. Olynyk’s 3pt shooting fits Jimmy and Bam better. At least for now. 

I do think he could supplant Kelly, but it'd probably take a while.  At the very least, I could see him taking minutes from the former, given the Heat were slaughtered by the Lakers last year due to not having any viable bigs (esp after Bam went down too).

Bam's quite the adept passer and can take a few midrange shots, so he and Jimmy could facilitate while guys like Duncan, Herro, and Dragic operate more as shooters, with Precious being an inside threat for a putback or rim run.  Of course, this is incredible speculation since he could also very well just get tossed out of the rotation once Bam returns.  After years of playing fantasy, i've learned to never trust Pop, Spol, or Knicks players (I guess it's different this year with Thibs running them into the ground).

Who knows how it looks with everybody back in the lineup, but needing a Butler replacement I scooped him for now.  Love his tenacity around the rim and knack for getting open and making himself available for his teammates.  Also gotta love that he showed no fear in attacking Embiid multiple times taking it right at him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Who knows how it looks with everybody back in the lineup, but needing a Butler replacement I scooped him for now.  Love his tenacity around the rim and knack for getting open and making himself available for his teammates.  Also gotta love that he showed no fear in attacking Embiid multiple times taking it right at him.

Lol and to add to it, on a couple of rebounds he straight up out-jumps and outworks Embiid in terms of positioning to get the putback. Dude is the truth and I'm adding for now to see how it shakes out

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Looks very solid out there. It’s good development. One thing I can say about this Covid (Health Protocols) crap is that it’s allowing teams to develop their draft picks and normal bench players outside of just “garbage time” in blowouts. 

• Like 3