NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jakob Poeltl 2020-2021 Outlook

Any interest in this dude this year as an end of the bench, last-round big? LMA is getting older and seems to be focusing on playing more on the perimeter, so could Poeltl carve out a 25-30mpg rle as the starting C? He did just sign a 3-year extension and is still young. Doesn't really score a lot but has great per-minute rebound and block numbers.

Thoughts?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

God of Wind, Air, and Blocks.  Bless us Quetzalpoeltl 🙌

Block King in da HOUSE!

Y'all gotta wait for games to finish before you **** talk a player.

Posted Images

• tonycpsu changed the title to Jakob Poeltl 2020-2021 Outlook
9 hours ago, indigorivers said:

23 minutes him
20 for Aldridge

Something to definitely watch though it makes even less sense that he gets more minutes considering Pop wants more shooters. Granted, LMA is no sniper. Jakob also could've just gotten more minutes to bang against Adams and Zion.

LMA was defending horribly. He doesn’t have the mobility to defend guards when they get to the ft line. LMA can’t jump out anymore. 

So Pop made the change for defense. He also played a tricky zone that worked. Then SVG called a timeout to tell his team how to defeat the zone, and when they came back in, Pop switched to man! Oh that trickster! I think Pop is having more fun than he’s had in years. 

Sorry for the story. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, tazdingo said:

Something to definitely watch though it makes even less sense that he gets more minutes considering Pop wants more shooters. Granted, LMA is no sniper. Jakob also could've just gotten more minutes to bang against Adams and Zion.

Jakob + shooters is all you need. Esp if Lamarcus isn't hitting his shots. Lamarcus couldnt guard a fire hydrant at this point

• Haha 1
54 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

Well that was a thoroughly disappointing yet somewhat unsurprising line tonight. Even with LMA out, he can't sniff large minutes and the 2nd half of these minutes he earned were all in garbage time.

Picked up 3 fouls really early. After that he pretty much played soft. The spurs are a pretty small team and the Lakers a pretty big one. Wasn't the easiest job for Jakob

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is the moment, but at some moment this season, Pop will figure out that Poeltl gives them a better chance to win due to his defense and offensive rebounds. LA can't play defense anymore. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I don't know if this is the moment, but at some moment this season, Pop will figure out that Poeltl gives them a better chance to win due to his defense and offensive rebounds. LA can't play defense anymore. 

That's been my thought exactly. I think pop let Poeltl audition for the starting position a week ago when Aldridge was out and poeltl failed tremendously. Apparently Pop had a talk with him heading into this game and Poeltl seemed to respond well. Pop really puts an effort into coaching Poeltl. I say keep an eye on him. I drafted him with my last pick and have just held him thinking this would be the season the change would happen. 

Could be. Poeltl is a tease. But there’s a chance, and I need a C. I took the bait. 

I’m sure he will be up and down for a while but will end up relevant. 

He just paid his rent on my team with his second block. 

Interesting that LA has gone off on offense. Expect that on the regular versus Kanter. But the Spurs have pulled ahead with Poeltl in the game.

Just now, jowell77 said:

Happy to see him get minutes, but man, it's nervewracking to see him getting torched by Dame.  

What are you talking about? Portland is garbage and Jakob is all over the place out there. He’s closing over LMA and I think it’s time to scoop him in 12 teams. 

1 minute ago, Supersonics said:

What are you talking about? Portland is garbage and Jakob is all over the place out there. He’s closing over LMA and I think it’s time to scoop him in 12 teams. 

I know, but there's several 1-on-1 between him and Dame, and Dame just torched him. If the game was closed, Pop probably gonna pulled him right away.

Dame torches everyone. You think LA would have done better? 

Poeltl addressed LA's defensive weaknesses. Pop played Poeltl down the stretch again for the second time. Basically forced Kanter off the court. This is an important development.

The whole team defense improves when Poeltl is on the court.

11/7 and 3 blks is very serviceable.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Dame torches everyone. You think LA would have done better? 

Poeltl addressed LA's defensive weaknesses. Pop played Poeltl down the stretch again for the second time. Basically forced Kanter off the court. This is an important development.

The whole team defense improves when Poeltl is on the court.

11/7 and 3 blks is very serviceable.

it didn't have to do anything with this being a blowout? but I agree it's very serviceable 

Just now, halbounih said:

it didn't have to do anything with this being a blowout? but I agree it's very serviceable 

No. It was a close game until Poeltl replaced LA and the Spurs gradually pulled away. Spurs won with defense.

13 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

No. It was a close game until Poeltl replaced LA and the Spurs gradually pulled away. Spurs won with defense.

This is the story for most Spurs game. Lamarcus wasn't a terrible defender last season, this season is a different story. Jakob will easily get 18 minutes and that will more than likely grow as the year progress. Lamarcus is only as good as his shot at this point