NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jakob Poeltl 2020-2021 Outlook

1 minute ago, indigorivers said:

This is the story for most Spurs game. Lamarcus wasn't a terrible defender last season, this season is a different story. Jakob will easily get 18 minutes and that will more than likely grow as the year progress. Lamarcus is only as good as his shot at this point

Agreed. LA game out of the gates jammin on offense, against Kanter. But as usual, he gave up as many points as he got. It wasn't until Pop committed to a defensive team that the Spurs pulled ahead. So this could be headed to a matchup-based situation, where Pop plays LA if he can get his shot off, then goes to Poeltl down the stretch. 

That's still progress for Poeltl. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

God of Wind, Air, and Blocks.  Bless us Quetzalpoeltl 🙌

Block King in da HOUSE!

I guess it makes sense that Bruce Wayne has mommy issues.

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Poeltl addressed LA's defensive weaknesses. Pop played Poeltl down the stretch again for the second time. Basically forced Kanter off the court. This is an important development.

The whole team defense improves when Poeltl is on the court.

Really hope that this is becoming the norm for the rest of the season.

Seems like it'll be quite up and down this year unless Aldridge goes down with an injury or is traded. Tempted to pull the trigger early as I'm in a keeper league, but trying to open up a spot to grab him before it's too late as well.

Didn't watch the game but looked like he got limited min in the first half. Think it was like 4 points and 2 blocks. Did he turn them around in the second half and get rewarded with garbage time minutes?

3 hours ago, jowell77 said:

Really hope that this is becoming the norm for the rest of the season.

Just to be clear, we went through this all of last season. The difference is LA is worse. He still has his moments on offense, like he did against Kanter. 

But I'm betting more mobile bigs will expose him.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, rocky7st said:

Didn't watch the game but looked like he got limited min in the first half. Think it was like 4 points and 2 blocks. Did he turn them around in the second half and get rewarded with garbage time minutes?

It looks like it. He played almost the end of the entire 4Q so it makes sense if he got those stats in garbage time. Owners won't complain of course.

On 1/19/2021 at 3:48 AM, tazdingo said:

It looks like it. He played almost the end of the entire 4Q so it makes sense if he got those stats in garbage time. Owners won't complain of course.

Actually when Poeltl subbed in at the 3rd quarter the score was 78-76. The Spurs went on a tear and Aldridge never subbed in again. Then Poeltl was subbed OUT for garbage time. Poeltl also has a crazy On Off Differential on this team.

Not saying that Poeltl is the root cause of the win or he is a great player. He seems to be a bargain C at his contract so the Spurs can focus their salary on other things.

Anyone more familiar with the Spurs know what's going to happen with what's going on in the team?

Spurs’ LaMarcus Aldridge sidelined with hip injury

LA has had surgery for this over the years. No one knows the future, but Poeltl might just be a good stream for tomorrow. Just a thought. 

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, thornton1986 said:

Any idea how bad Aldridge’s injury is? This guy needs to be picked up in all leagues if he’s out for a while

Spurs don't care if he's on the court or not anymore. Even if the injury's not bad, they're not in a rush to get him back. Poeltl should see a good chunk of time over a good chunk of games going forward. LA's been frozen out of 4th quarters recently, anyways, which shows you where their priorities are.

1 hour ago, thornton1986 said:

You guys picking him up in 12 teamers now? Don’t really have anyone that I can drop so hard for me to decide. My worst players are Quickley, Wright and Maledon 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Heavy_Jon said:

Let's see if he plays at least 25 mins and gets some!

The minutes will be there aslong as he plays with more gusto on the offensive side. He doesn't need to be a scorer, but he needs to walk into these games saying he's gonna get 14 points even if he's not going to reach it. He was much more aggressive offensively last season. I'm hoping that Derrick White was really the key to unlocking that. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised by the varied answers. Here's the answer. Poeltl started and played 25 minutes in the bubble. And they played great.

His line:

8.3 points    8.1 rebounds   0.9 steals   1.4 blks

64.6% FG

33.3% FT

He will start. He has his strengths and weaknesses. The FT% is acceptable because he only takes 1.5 FTs.

Is he a pickup? Depends on how long LA is out. But as a betting man, this is exactly the kind of soft news that results in rotation changes which have been brewing for a long time. Poeltl has been the C in waiting for 2 years. Pops has been criticised for stubbornly starting LA, and thus getting into a deficit to start each game. 

It's been coming for a long time. Just a question of when. [And this also could be much ado about nothing if LA comes back in 3 days.]    

• Like 3