NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Deep Dynasty Sleepers

Wanted to start this as a sequel to the 2019 thread “2019 ‘Deep’ Sleepers”. Feel free to Add any deep prospects throughout the year to this thread that haven’t really been mentioned elsewhere. Or are on few to zero lists. May take awhile to get this one going with no minor league season last year... however, here are a few I’ve stumbled across...

-Brenton Doyle, OF - COL

Great athletic build. Drafted out of DII college where hit dominated. If it were D1 he would probably have some more hype around him. Didn’t skip a beat and Hit like a madman and stuffed the stat sheet in professional debut at 2019 rookie level pioneer league. 17 SBs. 60 grade raw power and speed. Excellent plate discipline with a 14%bb. Did have an extremely inflated BABIP however. Attractive upside at Coors.

-Jeremy Pena, SS - HOU

Has packed on weight and more power came along with it. Good feel to hit. Fangraphs’ Longenhagen recently noted in a chat that he’ll likely be in his top 100 prospects somewhere this season. Playing well in winter ball this year and had some good reviews at alt site, where he was on 60-man roster.

-Junior Sanquintin, SS - CLE

Very raw, but a switch hitting SS with a large frame and athletic build. Toolsy.  

-Robert Dominguez SP - NYM

Signed at 17 y/o already throwing absolute gas. Hit 99mph before his 18th Bday. Ranked as #1 international free agent pitcher in the ‘19 class by Baseball America. 

Let’s hear some more deep sleepers!

• Like 3
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys outside the top 100 that I would value just the same as a top 80-100. When there's a top 100, you can obviously only have 100 names, so even if I made a list some of these guys wouldn't make it,

Akil Baddoo, rule 5 draftee, is making sound in spring training.  I think he might be a good sleeper candidate. 

Adding to my interest in many Hou SP prospects, fangraphs ranked Hunter Brown (who I knew very little about) 120 best prospect, which is better than any HOU prospect besides Whitley (who I saw is now

• 4 weeks later...

Two from the last draft that I think are bit under the radar are:

• Petey Halpin OF CLE- Very similar profile to Pete Crow-Armstrong, but you can have him for free. If the power develops, could be very good. 
  • Jeff Criswell SP OAK- Another one that you can probably get for free. Can't remember the site, but their guy that covers the Big 10 said he's got ace upside. With SP this deep all I'm looking for is wild upside. In a good org for developing SP's too. 

And one more just cause I got him, Ryan Pepiot SP LAD. Looked pretty good in a split squad game vs LAD starters(struck out Bellinger). You can find it on youtube. Changeup is nasty, control/command needs a little work. Great that he's with LA for development, not so great for fantasy if he stays with LA. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brenton Doyle : Rockies assistant general manager of player development Zach Wilson : "Maybe the most unheralded and underrated prospect in our organization, and maybe in all of baseball, is a kid by the name of Brenton Doyle." 

Aaron Schunk 3B

Nick Bennett P

Alec Bettinger P

Dylan File P

Noah Zavolas P

Jonathan Bowlan P

Leo Crawford P

Edited by PoundMyBeef
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, PoundMyBeef said:

Brenton Doyle : Rockies assistant general manager of player development Zach Wilson : "Maybe the most unheralded and underrated prospect in our organization, and maybe in all of baseball, is a kid by the name of Brenton Doyle." 

Aaron Schunk 3B

Nick Bennett P

Alec Bettinger P

Dylan File P

Noah Zavolas P

Jonathan Bowlan P

Leo Crawford P

Interesting names, what do you like about them?

Guys outside the top 100 that I would value just the same as a top 80-100. When there's a top 100, you can obviously only have 100 names, so even if I made a list some of these guys wouldn't make it, but the tier of players I like in this range is a lot and are often interchangable

Blake Walston SP AZ- one of the best teenage pitching prospects, been comped to Zito, a @garlandofavorite. Ace potential (rarely I care about a pitcher who doesn't have that potential)

Chris Rodriguez SP LAA- If you're a TINSTAPP, Chris Rodriguez is your ideal guy.  High upside, close to the majors, low cost.  Hopefully the version of Vince Velazquez that works.  Some are saying he's the best pitcher that the Angels have after Bundy.  Injury is the big question for him.  I'm a big believer in paying a discount for guys who could be great if healthy and have the injury tag on them.

Oswald Peraza SS NYY- I made a separate post about him. I don't think he's Francisco Lindor, but if the power comes ,he could be. Not that far away from the majors either.  This is a great prospect to have in a 5x5 dynasty. Hit tool, speed, and defense are relatively unanimously agreed are there. I don't think his value should be much or any lower than a prospect like Ronny Mauricio.

Jairo Solis/Alex Santos SP  HOU:  I love an Astros Pitching prospect. I feel like they are one of the best orgs in development and are always on the cutting edge. Jairo added height and weight and I think could be due for a velo bump, he feels like  potential Sandy Alcantara type.   Santos has some of the best spin in all of baseball, not just the minors.  Still a teenager, could add some velo and size.

Heiberto Hernandez Hitter TB: Might be a top 100 on some lists, but obviously there for me too. Posted about him a bunch in his own thread. JD Martinez upside.  Longenhagen loves him. The Rays traded for him. I think his bat plays at any position, including DH.

Mason Martin 1b PIT: He feels like a Pete Alonso/Hoskins type that everyone just ignores his numbers until he gets to the majors. He worked on his pitch recognition over the lost season and I think he has an impact bat, the DH coming to the NL will help and decent chance he plays there.

Peyton Burdick OF MIA: Seems like a good hitter, destroyed A ball after his draft, albeit not exactly young for his level.  Has a Mike Trout build.  I think he will mash. JD Davis is the comp I hear, which is a useful non exciting player, but perhaps better.

Quinn Preister SP PIT: Unlike all the names above, I have no shares.  I just recognize a consensus hype train on him. Value could explode this year.

Thank you readers of SPORTS EDGE FORUMS

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Interesting names, what do you like about them?

Aaron Schunk 3BIn the pitcher-friendly Northwest League, Schunk was about league average in age but not in offensive production. In 192 plate appearances, almost all of them during June or July (he played in only two games in August and two in September for unknown reasons), Schunk was a dynamo offensively. His .306/.370/.503 line with 20 extra-base hits (6 HR) translates to an excellent 145 wRC+. Schunk neither walked (7.3%) nor struck out (13%) much and he did display a home/road OPS split of .996/.680. The more time the Rockies get to spend with Aaron Schunk, their 2019 second-rounder, the more they like him. Already singled out for his work at the team’s alternate site, Schunk has continued to play well, getting more time at second base (he spent more time at third at the alternate site) and show off plus leadership. Schunk has superior defensive skills, including a plus arm (he also pitched at Georgia and showed a 95 mph fastball). He profiles well at third at 6 feet 2 inches and 205 pounds. If his power and hit tool develop, he will be a major-league regular and possibly an all-star.

Nick Bennett PDrafted in 2019, Bennett only has 11 games of pro experience under his belt but his 1.91 ERA over 33 IP with 43 strikeouts and just 10 walks allowed gives reason for optimism. Bennett was a part of the big group of lefty pitchers the Brewers added in that 2019 draft class and stands at 6’4″ and 210 pounds. He has the size, arsenal, and command to remain a starter going forward and could advance through the minor league system rather quickly and find a role as a mid-back end starter in the future.  

Alec Bettinger P - Added to 40 man roster november 20th 2020

Bettinger also came out of almost nowhere as a 10th round pick in 2017 and turned himself into a budding prospect. Bettinger also has very good command and turned in a 3.44 ERA in 26 starts at Double-A in 2019 with just a 2.15 BB/9 and a 9.66 K/9. With a slightly more deceptive delivery than File’s, Bettinger has been able to get more strikeouts than File. Bettinger was a reliever in college, which makes his run of success as a starter in the minors a little surprising, but he could stick as a back-end starter going forward or work as a versatile reliever out of the bullpen in the big leagues. Look for him to get an opportunity in the big leagues in 2021.

Dylan File P - Added to 40 man roster november 20th 2020 (  https://www.instagram.com/p/CAeAeuqlZFi/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link )

When a 21st-round pick out of a Division II school gets added to a team’s 40-man roster, it’s a good story. And Brewers president of baseball operations David Stearns said small-market clubs need good stories. That was the scenario when the Brewers decided to protect 6-foot-1, 205-pound righthander Dylan File, three years after drafting him out of Dixie State in Utah. The 24-year-old File has been an overachiever from the outset, going 15-6, 3.24 in 26 starts in 2019 between high Class A Carolina and Double-A Biloxi. What separated File from his peers was his impeccable control. In 147 innings, he issued just 22 walks while logging 136 strikeouts. His career walk rate is 1.7 per nine innings over 330 frames. He has struck out 287 with a fastball that sits in the low 90s, a swing-and-miss slider and an effective changeup and curveball. There was no 2020 minor league season because of the coronavirus pandemic, but Stearns believes File will pitch in the big leagues in 2021. “We believe he would have performed at Triple-A this season if we had a real Triple-A season," Stearns said. "We’re excited to see where his next step is, but he’s getting to the point where he has the ingredients to be a successful major league pitcher.” 

Noah Zavolas P  ( https://ibb.co/x7GWqxW ) 

"He’s a guy who just gets outs,” said Carolina catcher Payton Henry, the Brewers' No. 12 prospect. "He gets ground balls, he gets strikeouts, and that’s what you want in a starting pitcher.” Zavolas comes with some pedigree. He threw Harvard’s first no-hitter in 17 years last season and won Ivy League pitcher of the year honors. Brewers general manager David Stearns, also a Harvard alumnus, said after the trade was completed that Milwaukee had targeted Zavolas in the draft only to be scooped by the Mariners. Zavolas went from Harvard to short-season Everett to high Class A Modesto in a span of three months last summer, and then he was traded before the year was out in a whirlwind introduction to professional baseball. He reported to the Brewers’ complex in Maryvale, Ariz. early this spring to get acquainted with his new club and quickly felt at home. "Overall, it’s been seamless,” Zavolas said. "I had a wonderful first experience with the Mariners last summer. Finding out I had been traded, that was a very wild night. But I was fortunate to be able to come out to spring training early and get the lay of the land. It was great to be out there and settle in and get a feel for the organization. The Brewers have been phenomenal in developing pitching and developing their prospects.”

While his stuff doesn’t light up a radar gun, Zavolas gets the most out of what he has in part because of his advanced ability to come up with a sound game plan and execute it. The first time he faced Myrtle Beach on April 24, Zavolas went seven innings and gave up four hits and one run. Rather than rest on the knowledge he had already dominated the Pelicans once, Zavolas took what he learned from that outing and applied it forward, leading to an even better performance in the rematch. "I felt like the curveball to that lineup, especially having faced them before, I had a little bit of a personal advance scout on them,” Zavolas said. "Early on I was able to really establish the fastball and use that to open up the repertoire. I think the curveball played very well, and I was able to sprinkle in both the slider and the changeup as well to keep them off both the fastball and the breaking ball.” Zavolas’ ability to throw four pitches for strikes and execute a game plan seamlessly has him cruising through the Carolina League so far. With each successive outing, he’s making the case that he was more than just a throw-in to a trade of big leaguers.

"His work ethic, his intelligence, his stuff,” Ayrault said. "Across the board, it’s a great guy to have on your team.”   

Jonathan Bowlan P 

Bowlan has a good fastball, sitting in the mid 90s and touching the high 90s at times. His sinking movement allows him to have a good groundball rate, and while they still need some work, his slider and changeup could one day help him to be in the major league rotation.

Maybe the most important thing about Bowlan, though, is his control. The Royals have seen their share of pitchers who struggle with commanding the ball. Bowlan’s control, fortunately, is one of his strong spots. His plus control allows him to keep his walks low, something the Royals need from a starting pitcher.

Bowlan has a good fastball, sitting in the mid 90s and touching the high 90s at times. His sinking movement allows him to have a good groundball rate, and while they still need some work, his slider and changeup could one day help him to be in the major league rotation.

Leo Crawford P 

Just coming over in the Corey Knebel trade, Crawford is an interesting addition to this Brewers farm system. A funky, crafty lefty that doesn’t show overpowering velocity but is able to get guys out and throw strikes. Crawford has a career 3.22 ERA in the minors and a low 2.27 BB/9. Crawford has an excellent changeup and could end up in the back end of a rotation or possibly in the bullpen. He’s also adept at disrupting hitters’ timing.

Edited by PoundMyBeef
  • Like 3

Ben Hernandez P Royals

Ben Hernandez is considered to be one of the best players in the 2020 draft. At just 18 years of age, he’s managed to impress many scouts, with a good repertoire of highly rated pitches. Hernandez’ changeup has been rated by some scouts as the best changeup in this draft class. The velocity differential between the change-up and the fastball is more than 10 mph which puts his change-up into elite territory. His second-best pitch is his fastball, which he’s able to pitch it in the 94-95 range. The curveball is his weakest pitch, but scouts still rank it well. It currently sits in the 78-80 range. To go along with these three pitches, He has been working on developing a new pitch, a cutter. During school, he’s been studying Los Angeles Dodgers‘ Walker Buehler’s grip and practicing the delivery afterschool. After hard work, he got it at a point where he can confidently say it’s even better than his curveball. It’s a pitch that one can expect will get better with time. Hernandez was selected to play for the 2019 Perfect Game All-American Classic, as well as pitching in the Prospect Development Pipeline League. He was considered the best pitcher in the Prospect Development Pipeline League. In three outings he pitched six hitless innings, striking out seven hitters and only issuing one walk.

With one of the better changeups in the draft pool, Ben Hernandez’ best comparison is Chris Paddack. Paddack was a rookie last season for the San Diego Padres and instantly became one of the best young pitchers in the game. Like Hernandez, his pitching arsenal relies on his fastball, changeup, and curveball, and his strength is combining both his fastball and changeup to generate swings and misses. Both pitchers are tall righties with similar velocity on all three pitches. Paddack has a fastball that can reach over 98 MPH, which Hernandez still doesn’t have, but they both usually stay in that 94-95 range. Similar to Hernandez, Paddack’s changeup averages at 85 MPH and is considered his best pitch. Both have a curveball that sits around 76-78 MPH and its currently their weakest pitch

If Hernandez keeps pitching like he showed he can in the Prospect Development Pipeline League and keeps working on his cutter and curveball, he’ll be a very exciting player in the future.

Edited by PoundMyBeef
  • Like 1

Colin Peluse P OAK

A's farm director said that he had a big jump in velocity during the pandemic and was able to really work hard on his leg strength and saw a jump from 93 to 96 and 98 mph at instruct.

Edited by PoundMyBeef
  • Like 1

Edwin Uceta P LAD

Baseball America views Edwin Uceta as a “steal” for the Dodgers. Once the organization was able to change his delivery to prevent his arm from finishing across his body and take a more direct path to the plate, everything changed.

Uceta’s 2019 campaign was especially impressive. He began the year at Rancho, making 10 starts, with a 4-0 record, a 2.15 ERA, 1.252 WHIP, 16 BB and 65 Ks in 50 1/3 IP. Promoted to the Double-Tulsa Drillers, Uceta pitched in 16 games (14 starts), going 7-2, with 3.21, 1.301, with 33 BB and 76 in 73. All told, we’re talking an 11-2 record and a second-in-the-Dodgers’ system a 2.77 ERA and 141 strikeouts.

We’ll see if he has the stamina to be a big league starter. If not, with his effective changeup and his mid-90s fastball, he might be a good option jogging in from the bullpen, perhaps as a setup man or closer down the road.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH2qL_4Bpgm/?igshid=tb6godwrqgl9

Edited by PoundMyBeef
On 2/13/2021 at 12:17 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Guys outside the top 100 that I would value just the same as a top 80-100. When there's a top 100, you can obviously only have 100 names, so even if I made a list some of these guys wouldn't make it, but the tier of players I like in this range is a lot and are often interchangable

Blake Walston SP AZ- one of the best teenage pitching prospects, been comped to Zito, a @garlandofavorite. Ace potential (rarely I care about a pitcher who doesn't have that potential)

Chris Rodriguez SP LAA- If you're a TINSTAPP, Chris Rodriguez is your ideal guy.  High upside, close to the majors, low cost.  Hopefully the version of Vince Velazquez that works.  Some are saying he's the best pitcher that the Angels have after Bundy.  Injury is the big question for him.  I'm a big believer in paying a discount for guys who could be great if healthy and have the injury tag on them.

Oswald Peraza SS NYY- I made a separate post about him. I don't think he's Francisco Lindor, but if the power comes ,he could be. Not that far away from the majors either.  This is a great prospect to have in a 5x5 dynasty. Hit tool, speed, and defense are relatively unanimously agreed are there. I don't think his value should be much or any lower than a prospect like Ronny Mauricio.

Jairo Solis/Alex Santos SP  HOU:  I love an Astros Pitching prospect. I feel like they are one of the best orgs in development and are always on the cutting edge. Jairo added height and weight and I think could be due for a velo bump, he feels like  potential Sandy Alcantara type.   Santos has some of the best spin in all of baseball, not just the minors.  Still a teenager, could add some velo and size.

Heiberto Hernandez Hitter TB: Might be a top 100 on some lists, but obviously there for me too. Posted about him a bunch in his own thread. JD Martinez upside.  Longenhagen loves him. The Rays traded for him. I think his bat plays at any position, including DH.

Mason Martin 1b PIT: He feels like a Pete Alonso/Hoskins type that everyone just ignores his numbers until he gets to the majors. He worked on his pitch recognition over the lost season and I think he has an impact bat, the DH coming to the NL will help and decent chance he plays there.

Peyton Burdick OF MIA: Seems like a good hitter, destroyed A ball after his draft, albeit not exactly young for his level.  Has a Mike Trout build.  I think he will mash. JD Davis is the comp I hear, which is a useful non exciting player, but perhaps better.

Quinn Preister SP PIT: Unlike all the names above, I have no shares.  I just recognize a consensus hype train on him. Value could explode this year.

Thank you readers of SPORTS EDGE FORUMS

Adding to my interest in many Hou SP prospects, fangraphs ranked Hunter Brown (who I knew very little about) 120 best prospect, which is better than any HOU prospect besides Whitley (who I saw is now outside the top 100).

So I mean I like Luis Garcia, Jairo Solis, Alex Ramos, and Tyler Ivey....and Longenhagen thinks this dude is better than the lot, so he's def someone I'd look to acquire for cheap in a league, preferably a pickup.  Still for deeper leagues but fangraphs putting us on notice.

120. Hunter Brown, SP, HOU
Drafted: 5th Round, 2019 from Wayne State (HOU)
Age 22.5 Height 6′ 2″ Weight 203 Bat / Thr R / R FV 50
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Fastball Slider Curveball Changeup Command Sits/Tops
55/60 50/55 60/70 40/50 35/45 92-95 / 97

Already armed with plus-plus velocity after coming out of a D-II school in Michigan, Brown has added a plus-plus curve since turning pro and could enjoy a rapid rise with more pitch efficiency.

Brown is another of the several pitchers who blew up during Fall Instructional League in Florida. He was often up to 99 at the alt site and sat in the mid-90s during instructs while incorporating a consistently-plus slider and a rebooted curveball, which Brown shelved in college and has now been reintroduced in pro ball. Both breaking balls have impact potential. The reports read a little bit like those on Walker Buehler’s stuff when he first returned from Tommy John. Brown’s uptick in stuff has coincided with a change in his physicality and he’s clearly taking advantage of pro strength programs and facilities (remember, this guy comes out of a Division II school). The change in physique lends credence to the uptick in stuff, though there’s still relief risk here because we haven’t seen Brown hold it for a whole season as a starter. He has a chance to take yet another leap in 2021, especially in an org that is very good at developing pitchers. (Alternate site, Fall Instructional League)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pedro Leon, OF, HOU

Cuban who recently signed with the Astros for $4M. As a 20-year-old, hit .383/.467/.789 with 15 HR and 7 SB in just 33 games in the Cuban National Series. It's a very small sample in a foreign league, but CNS is supposedly about High-A level, and looking at other Cuban hitter stats there, his are more comparable with Luis Robert than busts like Rusney Castillo or Victor Victor Mesa. Astros have raved that all 5 tools are plus as well as his makeup, and said they want to fast track him to the bigs, where only Myles Straw currently stands between him and the starting CF job.

Cons are he turns 23 in May and hasn't played for a couple years because of the defection process and of course COVID shutting down the minors and delaying his signing. Scouting reports are mixed but none really have a lot to go off. Definitely a lot of risk.

I like him in FYPDs because the upside is high and we'll learn more about him faster than other options. The Astros invited him to MLB spring training, and if he holds his own and gets sent to the high minors, he might be legit. If he struggles and goes to Low-A, drop him and move on. Either way he won't tie up a minors roster spot for years.

1 hour ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Pedro Leon, OF, HOU

Cuban who recently signed with the Astros for $4M. As a 20-year-old, hit .383/.467/.789 with 15 HR and 7 SB in just 33 games in the Cuban National Series. It's a very small sample in a foreign league, but CNS is supposedly about High-A level, and looking at other Cuban hitter stats there, his are more comparable with Luis Robert than busts like Rusney Castillo or Victor Victor Mesa. Astros have raved that all 5 tools are plus as well as his makeup, and said they want to fast track him to the bigs, where only Myles Straw currently stands between him and the starting CF job.

Cons are he turns 23 in May and hasn't played for a couple years because of the defection process and of course COVID shutting down the minors and delaying his signing. Scouting reports are mixed but none really have a lot to go off. Definitely a lot of risk.

I like him in FYPDs because the upside is high and we'll learn more about him faster than other options. The Astros invited him to MLB spring training, and if he holds his own and gets sent to the high minors, he might be legit. If he struggles and goes to Low-A, drop him and move on. Either way he won't tie up a minors roster spot for years.

I'm just out on him and Cespedes in a FYPD, at a certain point sure, but I rather have someone 20 or younger that has upside.   They go way too early for me to care about them.  just my opinion anyway. Theres probably a 23 year old on your waiver wire thats in the majors already.  astros good at developing sure

19 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'm just out on him and Cespedes in a FYPD, at a certain point sure, but I rather have someone 20 or younger that has upside.   They go way too early for me to care about them.  just my opinion anyway. Theres probably a 23 year old on your waiver wire thats in the majors already.  astros good at developing sure

I'm out on Cespedes too, but I don't see them as similar. Leon had way better stats in the same league, got twice the signing bonus, and just seems like a more exciting talent based on everything I've read. I might be way off on that but I'm willing to gamble on him.

44 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

I'm out on Cespedes too, but I don't see them as similar. Leon had way better stats in the same league, got twice the signing bonus, and just seems like a more exciting talent based on everything I've read. I might be way off on that but I'm willing to gamble on him.

That's fine. Obviously I'm lumping two different players together and one of them is going to be better, and i agree I think it's Leon.  Unless I start seeing reports ASAP that he's standing out at camp,  I just don't get the appeal vs younger guys. Rather gamble elsewhere than a 23 year old who isn't on the cusp of the majors.  I think at some point he's worth drafting, but he usually goes well before I'm out of guys I like much more.  

I have one not been mentioned anywhere in here.   Once the Dynasty league I am in, and I draft him.  I will indulge who it is.     He is still very much under the radar...

On 2/23/2021 at 4:07 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I believe he is 22 years old.   (not 20)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 2/23/2021 at 4:07 PM, brockpapersizer said:

He is 22 years old.  Just recently signed as a 22 year old.

Pedro just recently signed. He is a little bit older.  22, should be up quicker than the average ball player that just recently signed.   I like him a lot.  Can't wait yo seize him in my dynasty prospect draft...