NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Deep Dynasty Sleepers

On 3/1/2021 at 9:43 AM, ThreadKiller said:

Where did Brock say he was 20?

8 hours ago, chasaco said:

Hey thread Killer.  I am extremely knowledgeable in baseball.   I am new to this forum and do not know how it works.  That includes the Quoting.  So excuse my ignorance Mr big shot.   I am quite a bit older than you, been a big baseball fan since 1959 when the WSox lost to the new Los Angels Dodgers (formerly the Brooklyn Dodgers, and 3 games to Larry Sherry.   Same face back at ya...

You quoted me on the previous page saying that Cespedes was 22 not 20.  TK was merely trying to gauge where did you get under the impression that anyone said he was 20.  My post went out of my way to say that I'm low on Cespedes because he's 22, and that I'd rather invest in someone younger when dealing with prospects.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys outside the top 100 that I would value just the same as a top 80-100. When there's a top 100, you can obviously only have 100 names, so even if I made a list some of these guys wouldn't make it,

Akil Baddoo, rule 5 draftee, is making sound in spring training.  I think he might be a good sleeper candidate. 

Adding to my interest in many Hou SP prospects, fangraphs ranked Hunter Brown (who I knew very little about) 120 best prospect, which is better than any HOU prospect besides Whitley (who I saw is now

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

You quoted me on the previous page saying that Cespedes was 22 not 20.  TK was merely trying to gauge where did you get under the impression that anyone said he was 20.  My post went out of my way to say that I'm low on Cespedes because he's 22, and that I'd rather invest in someone younger when dealing with prospects.

Yeah, that (since deleted) was not the response I was expecting lol. Yowza!

Anyhow, I'm with you brock...I'm not as high on Cespedes as some too, but we'll see how it unfolds. I'm just pumped that baseball is back lol.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Yeah, that (since deleted) was not the response I was expecting lol. Yowza!

Anyhow, I'm with you brock...I'm not as high on Cespedes as some too, but we'll see how it unfolds. I'm just pumped that baseball is back lol.

That response was honestly one of the most entertaining posts I've read in a while.

Cespedes could be good, in no way am I writing off a prospects career, ever. He's still quite young Just not for me.  If it's a deep league and there's a low acquisition cost, it's fine.  If he's as good as his brother and coming into the league earlier, that's a really good player to have on a team.  In a 2nd or 3rd round of a FYPD, I'd probably find someone I like a little more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/3/2021 at 10:58 AM, brockpapersizer said:

That response was honestly one of the most entertaining posts I've read in a while.

Cespedes could be good, in no way am I writing off a prospects career, ever. He's still quite young Just not for me.  If it's a deep league and there's a low acquisition cost, it's fine.  If he's as good as his brother and coming into the league earlier, that's a really good player to have on a team.  In a 2nd or 3rd round of a FYPD, I'd probably find someone I like a little more.

To piggyback what you said Brock, I am in a dynasty league with 8 rounds and he was not even being picked. I think the whole fantasy world as a whole are down on him. TBH, I did not spend much time doing research on him for the primary reason you stated previously - age. But based on what I have read, Cespedes has a tendency to swing at bad off speed pitches. His inability to hit them and lay off of them is something he is going to need to work on; whether he has time to do it before he start getting into his prime years, that's another story.

• 2 weeks later...

Édouard Julien Twins

Bat first twins prospect who tied former Florida Gator Pete Alonso for the longest tracked homer in College World Series history at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha (429 feet - 108 mph exit velocity). He also broke Frank Thomas RBI school record in a season of 69.

Signed for a bonus around 4th round pick value after being selected in the 18th round (he was 19). After being drafted he batted .563 in Super Regional and CWS play followed by .348 in the Cape Cod League (wood bat league). Performance probably dictated the strong late offer.

Fast forward to 2021 the Twins assign him Josh Donaldson as a personal mentor where he spent days with him. They will develop him as a DH imo.

Edited by PoundMyBeef
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Fidel Montero Ozuna CF Yankees

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2021/02/fidel-montero-yankees-new-hotshot-outfielder-prospect-can-do-everything.html

''Here’s the scoop on a 17-year-old Yankees center fielder prospect from the Dominican Republic that most every team wanted. No, not Jasson Dominguez, the five-tool, switch-hitter who signed for $5.1 million in July 2019.

While Dominguez is widely considered the Yankees’ No. 1 prospect and is being compared to Mike Trout, their newest hotshot farmhand is a countryman who is the same age and plays the same position, Fidel Montero. According to ESPN MLB prospects insider Kiley McDaniel, Montero “is probably the (Yankees’) best player in incoming international buys, but did not get the highest bonus.” Fidel Montero’s name came up Friday when McDaniel was asked by NJ Advance Media to identify a sleeper Yankees prospect during a Zoom media call. Some other teams tried to steal him,” McDaniel said. “Some teams thought he was a $2 million talent. He’s just one of those dynamic centerfielders. Above average power potential. He can run. He can kind of do everything.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMBH9iUAMWt/

Edited by PoundMyBeef
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cole Sands SP MIN

April 6th 2021 : ''Sands was hurt by the pandemic in terms of momentum, as he reached three levels in 2019 only to be stopped for 2020. He pounds the strike zone but also misses bats, as he fanned more than one batter per inning during a breakout 2019 season. Sands boasts an exceptional changeup that acts as he wipeout pitch, though he can also reach the mid-90s with his heater. The development of his third pitch will go along way to determine his future role. Sands is still flying under the radar, but could vault up the prospect rankings if he starts 2021 on a high note.''

Edited by PoundMyBeef
  • Thanks 1

Shay Whitcomb SS HOU

The UC San Diego product raised his stock in the Cape Cod League last summer, hitting .303 with eight homers in 34 games and showcasing excellent exit velocity. He has good feel to hit and above-average raw power, which could make it surprising that he fell to the final pick of the five-round draft despite being listed as a shortstop. It doesn't seem likely that he sticks at the position, however, as he's not a great defender and has a below-average arm for the position. His path to the big league may be as an offense-first second baseman.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Jarren Duran

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find him unowned leagues where 100 prospects or more aren't owned - love him, but he's no "deep-dynasty sleeper" to me at all.

• Like 3
Just now, dcristia said:

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find him unowned leagues where 100 prospects or more aren't owned - love him, but he's no "deep-dynasty sleeper" to me at all.

Does he even have a thread here? (I agree with you btw)

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Not exactly a deep sleeper.  Owned in all my leagues.

my post was sarcastic, sorry. Seems no one is talking about him. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Not that much of a sleeper but still the forgotten Blue Jays SP prospect Adam Kloffenstein (gained 7 mph velocity). I love his mindset and overall make-up. That's a + + for me.

"Kloffenstein now throws a four-seam fastball touching 99 MPH, a sinker that’s been compared to Blake Treinen’s at 97 MPH, and the slider and change both routinely touch 90 MPH as well.

There’s a great story behind Kloffenstein’s lost 2020 season, having spent the year in the ‘Covid League’ in Texas after being the odd man out for the last spot at the Blue Jays alternate site. While many players would have just heeded the team’s advice to stay in shape and wait by the phone, Adam took the initiative to get permission to play ball with professional athletes in a competitive league. Rather than throw bullpens for three months, he played competitive ball with former major league and Triple-A players, who played pro ball in Japan. He was the youngest player in the league by 4 years, and the main takeaway was he learned a lot.

His pitching coach was Roger Clemens. While Roger reportedly didn’t tinker with his mechanics, he talked to Adam about being aggressive with hitters and how to stay sharp physically. Hence, he’s fresh every time he takes the mound. Fernando Rodney talked to him about locating his pitches and that big league hitters can hit 99 if you don’t locate the pitch. This kind of experience for a kid bound for A-Ball and only two years out of high school is priceless, especially when we note that he himself admitted that his biggest need was to improve mentally to get to the big leagues.

The stuff is all Adam’s, though, having arrived in the ‘Covid League’ with it (real name the Constellation Energy League). The increase in velocity unlocked in his time with the Blue Jays and his growth as a player. But a seven-mile-per-hour increase in velocity while also adding a pitch is a huge step forward. Kloffenstein’s goal is to reach the big leagues with five 70 grade pitches, and he figures he already has three pitches that are on their way to being elite. If he falls short and has five 55 or 60 grade pitches, the world of fantasy baseball would still be drooling over the possibilities."

Edited by PoundMyBeef
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1