NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nicolas Batum 2020-2021 Outlook

4 hours ago, ROTY said:

Batums been doing this, it's just a matter of whether he gets the minutes. It sure as **** seems like he's impacting winning against 2 major teams in the West so we'll see. Id add every where and see how it plays out

He's gotten worse every year since his 2nd season in Charlotte which was back in 2016. Is he gonna be a rotation player? Looks it. Is he gonna be a reliable fantasy contributor? Too early to tell, but I'm going with history and say no.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm starting to speedwalk

You can add him if you want to punt win

He's the "I missed out on Keldon/Garland/Williams and I need someone interesting to pick up" kind of guy.

He may be the 2020/21 Clippers version of Spurs Diaw

His IQ and versatility are important for a team w championship aspirations especially his playmaking skills which the Clippers are lacking in 

Morris is sure to cut into his minutes but I’m not a sure Batum is going to go away completely given his ability to play 3 positions 

Definitely worth a speculative add

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ROTY said:

What point are you trying to make? 

Your point is that Batum's been producing for a long time when he gets minutes? He had the worst per 36 in the NBA. Doesn't sound like that's about minutes. Also for a supposed 3 point shooter his 3pm% is atrocious.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Nicolas Batum 2020-2021 Outlook
11 hours ago, pushaZ said:

I don't think anyone picked him up for his scoring, he's providing out of position boards and assists plus stocks. Also nobody calling him a league winning type pick up, but def worth riding until the wheels fall off. 

6 hours ago, kilslo said:

He may be the 2020/21 Clippers version of Spurs Diaw

His IQ and versatility are important for a team w championship aspirations especially his playmaking skills which the Clippers are lacking in 

Morris is sure to cut into his minutes but I’m not a sure Batum is going to go away completely given his ability to play 3 positions 

Definitely worth a speculative add

Spurs Diaw is the perfect comparison. Players like Diaw and Batum play better when they play with betters player who are trying to win. They are not the "good stats bad team" type. Batum's best years were in Portland with LAM, Matthews, and Lillard and Charlotte with Kemba and SJax, but he started sucking the moment Charlotte started sucking. He's not the type of player who can create his own offense and break down his defender; he plays in the flow of the offense, so when there's no flow he won't do well. I honestly don't think he even cared the last 2 years with Charlotte lol

He probably won't even average 10 points this year but Clippers will lean on him. He's the perfect complement to Kawhi and PG in this lineup. Marcus Morris is a better scorer so he will most likely be used off the bench. Just ask yourself whether the Clippers need more scoring or more everything else (passing, defense, shooting). Batum is basically going to be Shane Battier: 

8 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1.5 threes, and 2.0 stocks. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, bballshinobi said:

Spurs Diaw is the perfect comparison. Players like Diaw and Batum play better when they play with betters player who are trying to win. They are not the "good stats bad team" type. Batum's best years were in Portland with LAM, Matthews, and Lillard and Charlotte with Kemba and SJax, but he started sucking the moment Charlotte started sucking. He's not the type of player who can create his own offense and break down his defender; he plays in the flow of the offense, so when there's no flow he won't do well. I honestly don't think he even cared the last 2 years with Charlotte lol

He probably won't even average 10 points this year but Clippers will lean on him. He's the perfect complement to Kawhi and PG in this lineup. Marcus Morris is a better scorer so he will most likely be used off the bench. Just ask yourself whether the Clippers need more scoring or more everything else (passing, defense, shooting). Batum is basically going to be Shane Battier: 

Well said, he's a jackknife pickup. He just looks like he fits with this squad. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

Charlotte is where good players become mediocre overpaid guys who you forget were in the league lol

He’s younger than I thought he was. Figured he was like 36 but he just turned 32 two weeks ago 

And it would make all the basketball sense to bring Morris off the bench. He can get the green light on the 2nd unit since he likes to have the ball in his hands so it’ll allow him to play to his natural style rather than standing around next to Kawhi/PG

And I think Lue is the perfect coach to sell that to him 

• Like 1

Clipper's problem is that they don't have a primary distributor. Batum has been a very decent secondary (if not primary) distributor over his career so it's not outrageous to think that he can hold the starting spot even when Marcus Morris returns. Not expecting top 60 numbers from his prime days but some assists off the wire is always welcomed.

On 12/27/2020 at 3:51 AM, pushaZ said:

Your point is that Batum's been producing for a long time when he gets minutes? He had the worst per 36 in the NBA. Doesn't sound like that's about minutes. Also for a supposed 3 point shooter his 3pm% is atrocious.

Wasnt that specifically targeting points... which is 1 category? Weird angle 

7 hours ago, ROTY said:

Wasnt that specifically targeting points... which is 1 category? Weird angle 

Averages less than 6 rebounds, 4 assists, one steal or one block a game and also shot 43 percent from the field including 35 percent from the field from 3, hasn't had 2 3pters a game since 2015. If you don't get points on top of that and you're 32, what are you so excited about?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Brye said:

Is he playing the Sg position by any chance  with Paul and Kawhi in the lineup ?? Will yahoo give him Sg eligibility?

According to basketball-reference he is playing 98% of his minutes at PF and 0% at SG so far this season, so I wouldn't count on it for now.

1 minute ago, qpeeters said:

According to basketball-reference he is playing 98% of his minutes at PF and 0% at SG so far this season, so I wouldn't count on it for now.

Ahh ok ty for the info I really appreciate it.  Was gonna keep him if he was getting Sg position but I have way to many sf/pf players 

He's the only player on this team that's capable of decently orchestrating an offense. I don't think minutes are going to be an issue for him moving forward, but the fact he's been straight a** the last two seasons, I'm kinda skeptical about whether or not he can keep this up. 

Lue does like his veterans though. 

• Like 1

So what are we thinking guys? Morris came back and he still played well. Kind of concerning with the minutes today but hopefully once Morris is fully up to speed, will he be able to maintain his production?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, m1dday said:

How are we feeling now that Morris is back? I got him for the b2b and he's looking great out there so far, anyway.

He stuffed some stats at the end, it wasn't looking pretty for second.  I remember seeing 1 3ptm , 7 pts and a few boards for awhile. 

I'm curious also if he can maintain this level of play. Morris came back and Batum played 26 mins this game , so definitely concerned about that.

And the last game he went off PG13 was Out. 

My best guess is he won't maintain this Top 70 value ROS  , but Top100 give or take doable perhaps ? 

18 hours ago, RunCMC said:

He stuffed some stats at the end, it wasn't looking pretty for second.  I remember seeing 1 3ptm , 7 pts and a few boards for awhile. 

I'm curious also if he can maintain this level of play. Morris came back and Batum played 26 mins this game , so definitely concerned about that.

And the last game he went off PG13 was Out. 

My best guess is he won't maintain this Top 70 value ROS  , but Top100 give or take doable perhaps ? 

I think top 70 is doable if he gets 24-26 minutes a game since he does contribute across the board and doesn't hurt you at all in any category. He's too important in organizing the offense to not be played and he's certainly redeemed his past two seasons. With how defensively incompetent Morris is and with Kawhi's load management, I can see a path towards occasional 30+ minute games. No one's trading for him so he has no particular value especially in keeper and dynasty, but he's been too productive to just drop and try to stream that slot when he'll most certainly be picked up by someone else. 

Batum's probably the Marcus Morris of last year. Not much trade value, but too valuable production wise to drop. I've personally dropped him for Quickley because I'm hoping he pans out as a keeper. 

• Like 2

Batum just does a great job exposing defensive gaps spawned by playing alongside PG and Kawhi that I actually hate when one of them has to sit

I could see at least a top 75 finish if he continues to stay in the starting lineup and if his minutes hover around the 26+ range. With Morris being cool coming off the bench my worry now is that Lue moves Batum into the second unit bc they direction, stability and IQ in that group