NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020-2021 Vent & Rant Thread

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

*SGA goes down* *picks up Jerome over Maledon due to the analytical advantage* *Maledon has best game of career* *swaps Jerome for Maledon* *Jerome has a stronger game and Maledon'

So don’t draft old guys because they might rest, but also don’t draft guys on contenders because they might rest, but also don’t draft guys on tanking teams because they might rest, but also don’t dra

You know you suck at this when you already have 15 players played vs. Their 7 and they beating you 8-1.    Free money here yall. Get your invitations ready for next season. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, csklmf said:

Cole Anthony PPD

marcus smart PPD

nikola vucevic PPD

bojan bogdanovic PPD

Kyrie Irving MIA

Opponent: fully healthy 

f--- me in the a**

I sympathize with you.

Smart PPD

Lonzo PPD

Lavine PPD

C. White PPD

Bojan PPD

T Ross PPD

Derozan O

Boston for the most part is absolutely ravaging through my lineup with these ******** PPD and the opponent is barely affected by all this. Down 8-1 so far 😭

Edited by sharkpotato

I hate when podcasts are dumb and evaluate teams too early. About 3-4 days ago The Ringer NBA podcast started it's show with 15 minutes on the Mavericks and out of shape Luka and WCS/Powell at center. Wtf? Before Porky had even played a minute? What a waste of breath.

Then last night's Simmons/Russillo podcast, Bill correctly skips them because their 2 big dogs hadn't played yet.

Edited by bbythepier
22 hours ago, sharkpotato said:

I sympathize with you.

PPD and the opponent is barely affected by all this. Down 8-1 so far 😭

Same here, but I get to play Embiid and Myles 5 times too.

In 4 leagues, I lost (for 1 or more games): 

Wall (O), Bam (INJ), Bazely (just got hurt), Horford (2 leagues, DNP-old), White (2 leagues, PPD), Lonzo (O), Simmons (2 leagues, PPD, then "injury", then played even worse than if he was still injured), Drummond (O), Bertans (2 leagues, likely PPD the entire week), Bledsoe (O, rubbed lotion in his eye), Trae (PPD), Reddish (2 leagues, PPD), Luka (PPD), T Ross (2 leagues, PPD), Smart (likely PPD the entire week), Miles Bridges (likely PPD the entire week), Oubre (PPD Fri), and Wiseman (2 leagues, PPD Fri).

I also have MPJ in all leagues but he's been stuck on my IL so long that I oftentimes forget he's still an NBA player.  And I've dropped a bunch of players due to them likely missing games this week, but I'm not gonna even mention them because it makes me depressed.

My opponents, I think, have many about 4 players on average who have missed games overall this week, but I'd still say I'm at about 6-8 players on average in my 4 leagues.  I wouldn't be complaining as much if I weren't 1-8, 1-8 (1 assist away from being 0-9), and 3-6 in my leagues (my last league is 11-3, but only because I'm playing against an inactive owner), AND I'm in 6th, 9th and 12th place (last) in those leagues.  So I'm pretty much giving up hope now.  Been playing fantasy over a decade now and I've never seen so much uncertainty and bad luck surrounding players.  

Buuuuut on the bright side, playing DFS has never been easier.

And with how "prepared" Adam Silver is, I'm sure we're all gonna get 5 game weeks during February to account for all those PPDs and missed games.  I don't know how you can look at what's happening and believe that sort of preparation is gonna make up for all these missed games.  It's like knowing a river flood is coming, trying to dam the river with a piece of paper, and then pretending it's all okay.

• Like 1

drafted roco & nurk

parted ways with roco tonight after the lineups were officially locked

nurk fractures his wrist and now roco might be in line for a more prominent role

add into all the postponed games that i endured this week plus mpj gone for the last couple of weeks and this might be my worst season ever

just as my team was coming around, i get hit with another one...i guess its just going to be like this the whole year

week after week **** just hits me the most

and im still down 4-5...

• Haha 1

From last year's fun with Steph and Bagley going down right as the season kicks off, followed shortly thereafter by Ayton's nice little ban and other shenanigans to this year's Harden antics (which were known beforehand, of course), Fultz ACL, White returning only to reinjure himself, Chubb Nurk to Fractured Nurk, RoCo being a bum and my team in general being full of dudes who don't contribute much 3-pointers yet still come through with 1/12 scorelines and other similar garbage, I'm kinda thinking that autodrafting instead of wasting time to draw up draft tiers and schematics might have its perks.

This season has been rough......

Missing so many dudes with lost COVID games. Add in the poor starts to the season for Ayton/Booker, Bryant tearing up his knee and waiting to see if JJJ will ever touch the court again. 

Rough

• Like 1

I think most of the fun for me is building the team through the draft (with days or even weeks of research and projections) and deciding which players to root for.

Right now, I am winning/losing because of games being postponed and health protocols, which throws away any research I had.

I know what is happening is bigger than fantasy basketball, but I think needed some amount of normalcy and this is not it.

Sorry for the rant.

Edited by SolariNatividad
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, SolariNatividad said:

I think most of the fun for me is building the team through the draft (with days or even weeks of research and projections) and deciding which players to root for.

Right now, I am winning/losing because of games being postponed and health protocols, which throws away any research I had.

I know what is happening is bigger than fantasy basketball, but I think needed some amount of normalcy and this is not it.

Sorry for the rant.

agree 100%

besides that, the worst part is when you do your research and come up with a strategy and then draft accordingly to your strategy. you think you have a team with specific skills.

exhibit A:

on instagram (aka BBM Team Analysis rem. Projections)

grafik.png.f8d78c9f31fca94b8b1ea0e2c317d7b8.png

in real life (aka BBM Full Season 20/21)

grafik.png.a13376be3b0d50bba68d40a68f1bcf3e.png

i mean come on.. why even bother making a plan and/or throwing money away for BBM. this will be the 2nd time in a row that i am gonna lose steals this week against an inferior opponent. special thanks to FVV, PG, Smart for this mess. will never draft you again

On 1/15/2021 at 8:23 PM, SolariNatividad said:

Sorry for the rant.

This.  I literally have more missed games from my players this week than actual played games, not just in one league, but two, due to a combination of injuries and the dreaded PPD. 

I think most people usually just go "Oh, Rona affects us all equally in fantasy." And that's the stupidest, most ignorant, and most tone-deaf response you could probably give because Rona and the PPDs make fantasy completely unplayable.  If you're a good fantasy owner, as you said, you make wise decisions about drafting, and do hours of research, discussion and analysis to add or drop players.  Yes, sometimes you get unlucky when guys like Zion or Randle, who are loathed by roto experts, suddenly go extremely hot, or your opponent in your matchup has more players than you or their players just go hot.  There's obviously a degree of risk and luck that we need to stomach when we play fantasy.

But for Rona, it's a different animal, because it hits randomly and you can't prepare for it.  With injuries, which are probably the most random and luck-based part of fantasy, you can prepare by using ILs or handcuffing, or avoiding injury-prone players.  With Rona, literally anyone can be hit and there's no way of knowing or preparing auxiliaries.  And it's not just a player, but an entire team.  Someone gets a positive test ... No, just a staff or team member gets one, then the entire team goes under for contact tracing.  Hell, it doesn't even need to be YOUR player or a player on the team YOUR player is on, but if that player's matchup's team is affected (due to lack of players or something), then the entire matchup is canceled and you might be out 3-4 players on that entire week.  And finally, to take it back to my original point, these aspects of uncertainty benefit weaker fantasy players, because it's advantageous for a lesser player to add more entropy to a system during a competition, given they'd want a game of chance rather than . Yes, Rona might affect us all in fantasy, but to equate "random" with "equal" is simply asinine.

To put it into perspective, let's say fantasy two years ago was like playing poker.  There's an element of chance, but a good poker player sees all the variables and makes calculated risks based on judgment and skill; more often than not, the probability will weigh on their favor due to how they've prepared.  THIS year with covid is like playing slots, or roulette.  There's essentially NO skill involved (unless you can time the pull of the lever ... I don't play slots, so I dunno), and it's mostly a game of chance.

TL;DR: Fantasy this year is gambling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

every morning i wake up to another player out... start the week i lose Morant to covid for 4 games ..  than with in 48 hours Wood and Murray (60 seconds into the game) to twisted ankles  than Booker hamstring and a 24 year old Russell needs rest...   This **** just isn't fun anymore..  I'm about done now

• Like 1

Jerami Grant shooting 7/34 the past two games is not something I was expecting. Neither was I expecting to be in a dead heat for fg% going into Sunday with the guy whose hard punting fg%. 

Great 

Ok, I had an 18 point lead in my points league going into the late games on Sunday. I'm playing one of the other undefeated teams and feeling pretty good after the early Sunday games.

Rozier shoots 2-10. Nance plays 12 minutes for some reason and puts up an AST, 2 PTS, 3 TRB game. My opponents players go nuts and post game totals way higher than they have the rest of the week.

So there goes my undefeated season.  I lead all week until the late Sunday games.

I guess with COVID and all the injuries I should count my blessings to be 4-1.