NBC Sports Edge Forums

Keldon Johnson 2020-2021 Outlook

Under the radar performance in the bubble, and now starting for the Spurs on opening night.  

image.png.9a3ca645e1b173cb90ff99f1472ff2fa.png

Obviously sustainable shooting percentages, but might be something to see here, or under Pop may very well be the next Bryn Forbes. 

I'm going to be optimistic, seems to be flying under the radar of the higher profile Game 1 sleepers of Okoro and Williams.  

Edited by Crazycanto
  • Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He might be a kitchen psychologist, but he's spot on about what you're doing.

We don't all play in 8 or 10 teamers.

Posted Images

Nice line. Keep in mind he's filling in for Derrick White who won't return "for the next couple weeks", and when he returns he'll start chipping away at that $73 million extension. And don't forget about Vassell who we were all high on 24 hours ago and who netted a stronger +/- in the game despite lower numbers. Lonnie's also putting up a pretty similar line as Keldon in big minutes. Fantasy impact isn't pop's only consideration in evaluating his players so it'll be interesting to see who comes out on top of this logjam

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mattshhh said:

Nice line. Keep in mind he's filling in for Derrick White who won't return "for the next couple weeks", and when he returns he'll start chipping away at that $73 million extension. And don't forget about Vassell who we were all high on 24 hours ago and who netted a stronger +/- in the game despite lower numbers. Lonnie's also putting up a pretty similar line as Keldon in big minutes. Fantasy impact isn't pop's only consideration in evaluating his players so it'll be interesting to see who comes out on top of this logjam

No, he is starting as a PF for the new Crazy Pop!

Lonnie had 3 points at the half. I'm guessing Derrick White will be the PG when he returns, which is pretty far away in the lineup from Keldon. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, ellejamil said:

Well what do we have here? Only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is when Derrick comes back, who ends up sitting, him or Lonnie?

Hard to tell at this point but he's mainly played his minutes at the wing spot rather than the guard spot. 

Derrick can't play at the wing so logic tells me that Lonnie has a better chance of sitting.

1 minute ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Lonnie had 3 points at the half. I'm guessing Derrick White will be the PG when he returns, which is pretty far away in the lineup from Keldon. 

And finishing with 16 points to tie Keldon doesn't count because? Positionally he may be far away but that usage has to come from somewhere

2 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Damn, I though he was injured. Yet here he is starting on opening night 🤦‍♂️

Well, I was only able to stash him due to the IL status. So I will say "YEAHHHH!"

8 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

No, he is starting as a PF for the new Crazy Pop!

6'5 starting at PF...? Man I don't know if this experiment works but I like that he stayed for 30mpg.

5 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

6'5 starting at PF...? Man I don't know if this experiment works but I like that he stayed for 30mpg.

If it helps, the Spurs entirely committed to a small-ball strategy during the Bubble and it worked out very well for them.

Pop has said this fast-paced approach will continue into this season.

In the bubble they were rolling out DJM-White-Lonnie-Demar-Poetl starting lineups and killing it.

Simply replace Poeltl with Aldridge, a better fit and shooter, and that's what things are looking like this season.

Edited by Espoiral
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

I mean, you could make the case that Derozan was the starting PF but they were pretty interchangeable.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, worldclass said:

Spurs fans are very high on him. 

I could care less what the Spurs fans think of him, what matters the most is what Pop thinks of him & how he plans to use him even when White comes back.

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, wisegeeks said:

Does he pass the eye test? Does he play defense? Do you guys think this is experimental or something long term?

5 of 10 shots in 32 mins is pretty ok

Run, don't walk. He meets all of these qualifications. Pop trusts him now that he showed out in the bubble. Dude dominated the G League, started getting minutes at the end of last season and put up #s immediately.

Edited by xlosingmyedgex
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Keldon Johnson 2020-2021 Outlook
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic