NBC Sports Edge Forums

Keldon Johnson 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He might be a kitchen psychologist, but he's spot on about what you're doing.

We don't all play in 8 or 10 teamers.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Care to expand on that?

Your numbers feel much more like projections than floor IMO. You're taking what I amount to a "streak" and then finding some middle ground as his "floor", which just comes off as really ambitious to me when he has shown in the past that those numbers are factually not his floor. Could he hit those numbers? Of course. But a floor to me is absolute worst case scenario for a 30 minute projection (which seems to be the number I think we can agree on here), ignoring all frivolous stuff like injuries etc. 

So, tbd. I think if anything this discussion has show that Keldon has had wiiiiiide swings in regards to what he did in college vs G vs NBA and I think the worst of those swings is his floor, whereas you are taking a conservative approach to his best numbers so far and calling those his floor instead. I would argue your floor numbers are more likely where Keldon will settle around. Which still has value. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stefan said:

Soooo Keldon < vs > Shake Milton ? :) 

I admittedly don't know a whole lot about Shake Milton's body of work. Seems to me if you need rebounds, KJ is your guy. Shake will probably provide more threes and (though I don't know for sure) play more on light-schedule days. Would need to know your roster contruction to provide any worthwhile analysis, and this isn't the spot for that. KJ is a first round one-and-done pick out of Kentucky while Shake was a late second round pick who played 3 years at SMU. If long term upside is a part of the equation, I think making the move for KJ is a slam dunk.

13 minutes ago, MrCantaloupe said:

I admittedly don't know a whole lot about Shake Milton's body of work. Seems to me if you need rebounds, KJ is your guy. Shake will probably provide more threes and (though I don't know for sure) play more on light-schedule days. Would need to know your roster contruction to provide any worthwhile analysis, and this isn't the spot for that. KJ is a first round one-and-done pick out of Kentucky while Shake was a late second round pick who played 3 years at SMU. If long term upside is a part of the equation, I think making the move for KJ is a slam dunk.

Shake is probably the safer play. If you owned him last season when Simmons went down you'd know how much he was Shakin' his opponents left and right. Doc is giving him that Jamal Crawford/ Lou Williams role and there was a reason why i drafted him. Hes gonna put up stats regardless. I don't fully trust Keldon yet just because of Pop and Derrick Williams having yet to play. Keldon definitely is the more hyped player right now though thanks to rotoworld. Since they cream on players that unexpectedly come out of nowhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The hype on this guy definitely seems out of control or at least out of proportion for the potential production.  If all things stay the way they are I think Keldon Johnson and Donte Divincenzo end up with roughly the same value in 9cat.

I'm not sure about Spurs trading Derozan or Aldridge either in order to free up more usage for the other guys.  Spurs are just as likely to just let the guys walk at the end of the season and go for another lottery pick in a pseudo tank (lets be real Pop will never outright tank).

Edited by ComeOnAndSlam
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

The hype on this guy definitely seems out of control or at least out of proportion for the potential production.  If all things stay the way they are I think Keldon Johnson and Donte Divincenzo end up with roughly the same value in 9cat.

I'm not sure about Spurs trading Derozan or Aldridge either in order to free up more usage for the other guys.  Spurs are just as likely to just let the guys walk at the end of the season and go for another lottery pick in a pseudo tank (lets be real Pop will never outright tank).

I agree about similar value to Donte. But is that a bad thing? I think thats still top 100 (at least top 110) value.

5 hours ago, Abhi said:

I agree about similar value to Donte. But is that a bad thing? I think thats still top 100 (at least top 110) value.

Definitely not a bad thing.  Handy player to have at the end of your roster especially if your team is built around efficiency.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ber said:

how long till white is back? once white return to the lineup, johnson's mins might take a hit.

Latest quote is pop saying he won't be back for "weeks" on dec 15, rotoworld's blurb predicts sometime in january so who knows. Keldon, Lonnie and Vassell all have uncertain long-term roles until we see how the team looks in full. None have established consistent production, all are historically low-usage and Pop's the kind of coach who made owning more established studs like Dejounte and White frustrating much of last season. 

KJ would be a no-brainer to give a long leash as a mid-season pickup, but opening week is different. A game 2 dud might see half his owners jump ship for another young waiver option who puts up a fat line, and they wouldn't be wrong for doing so. Stakes are high as the Devonte Grahams and Robert Covingtons get scooped. Can't wait for the dust to completely settle, which in the spurs' case will take time..

• Like 1

Yeah by now you needed to have him picked up or he isn't available. As with all pick ups of the year, there are some in the first weeks. Then there might be select few mid season from injuries and trade.

If you do leagues with FAAB budget it's best to burn it now. Waiver wire order leagues maybe you wait.

In weeks if Derrick White comes in, I see Vassell as the rookie that falls out anyways.

Forgive me for I have sinned. PJ Washington was dropped in my 12team and I had to choose between Keldon and Pat Williams to claim him.

Based on season-long value I kept Williams. Although I personally believe White's return won't affect him to a large extent, there is still that chance.

Still, this guy is a baller and I wish all his owners the best. If PJ continues to stink it up and no one uses a waiver claim on Keldon.. I might switch back.

• Like 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Keldon Johnson 2020-2021 Outlook
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic
18 hours ago, mattshhh said:

Latest quote is pop saying he won't be back for "weeks" on dec 15, rotoworld's blurb predicts sometime in january so who knows. Keldon, Lonnie and Vassell all have uncertain long-term roles until we see how the team looks in full. None have established consistent production, all are historically low-usage and Pop's the kind of coach who made owning more established studs like Dejounte and White frustrating much of last season. 

KJ would be a no-brainer to give a long leash as a mid-season pickup, but opening week is different. A game 2 dud might see half his owners jump ship for another young waiver option who puts up a fat line, and they wouldn't be wrong for doing so. Stakes are high as the Devonte Grahams and Robert Covingtons get scooped. Can't wait for the dust to completely settle, which in the spurs' case will take time..

This reminds me Siakam a few yrs ago when he had a bad month and everybody drop him but he bounce back and play so well to help the owners who have patience to win many chips!

yeah i'm not gonna read too much into this performance, it's encouraging that he took 11 shots and it is about to be the start of the 4th quarter. In his defense the raptors are a very good defensive team and he is leading the team in minutes with 22 behind derozans 28. so there are some positives before jumping ship a little to early!

Not getting the calls. It's good sign that Pop put him back in the end of the game and he got the green light to shoot as much as the others. The team will probably adjust his approach to his role as he isn't exactly a creative player.

24 minutes ago, thefranchise3 said:

Yep, clutch rebound and sank 2/2 FTs at the end. He'll shoot better, but I'm happy with 9 boards and 2 stocks. With the Spurs playing small, he'll be counted on to get rebounds all year.

Speaking of rebounds, I think all the young jackrabbits in the lineup are going to knock Lamarcus' boards down two pegs.

(Which doesn't bother me because I've been waiting 2 years for his old boring a** to drop out of the top 40 but he kept defying age. Looks like more decline this year. ADP ~ 40-50)