NBC Sports Edge Forums

Keldon Johnson 2020-2021 Outlook

Assist wise, when White returns it's probably just a sell high on DeRozan's assists numbers. Keldon's assists now relies on ball movement and he is just a 3 and D guy in a favorable system. Keldon's assists should be under 2, to be honest, even before White returns.

Just look at the bubble game stats from last season to see how they might play with each other. Also, I feel like SAS is going to average much more points a game this year. More action to go around.

• Like 1
  • Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He might be a kitchen psychologist, but he's spot on about what you're doing.

We don't all play in 8 or 10 teamers.

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Really I always thought Murray was the better point guard (when healthy) . But regardless I think Keldon's playing time is locked & loaded.

They need his defense + rebounding out there at all times. Not to mention he provides that scoring punch. 

LMA isn't getting any younger, I could see him getting dialed back a bit on the offensive end.

DJ can only make basic reads most of the time, but Derrick's way more patient. The LMA part is a big story - put a fork in him. He's done. Keldon can play the 4 now, so that eliminates the need to play someone who's clearly declined like LaMarcus has. Young guys are stepping up and there's little to get in their way.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Am I crazy for saying this guy is kinda over hyped? He’s been good but there are other guys that I think are better pickups like Burks, Boucher and maybe even Lonnie. 

That is a different question for a different topic. Depending on the leagues you are playing in, those players might have been drafted. And KJ was in the ww and a better pickup. Depending on your needs, someone mentioned PJ Washington, he’ll might get some playing times at Center and might get you the big man stats. 

I think here we are just talking about KJ’s place within the team and how he is earning Pop’s trusts to give him playing times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had to make the hard choice between Johnson and Boucher, but hearing that quote from Pop reassures me that I did the right thing grabbing Keldon. If he has Pop’s confidence, that’s a great sign that he’ll still be relevant when White returns, whereas I know for a fact Boucher does not have Nurse’s confidence.

38 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Am I crazy for saying this guy is kinda over hyped? He’s been good but there are other guys that I think are better pickups like Burks, Boucher and maybe even Lonnie. 

Burks maybe not played in latter half of season: tanking.

Lonnie: 14 shots to get 16 pts with nothing else? No thanks.

Boucher: only valid option due to stocks upside. As a TO fan, he is not a starter Nurse would want but he will produce as a bench and he isn't bad. Higher upside but more inconsistent and I rather have Keldon.

If you are load at the wing then I might choose Boucher.

Edited by rob0403
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, xlosingmyedgex said:

White's a better playmaker than Dejounte, so although he may take touches away from Keldon, he'll probably get him better looks. Then again, Keldon's M.O. is running straight at the basket and saying, "LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS," so who knows how big the change will be.

I've noticed this too from the little I've watched of him, lol.  Was watching Dort highlights last night and it was a mirror image.  Dive to the basket and whatever happens happens.  I like the aggression/confidence though.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Was fortunate to have grabbed him in two leagues. I’m just not sure he’s worth the hype he’s getting. 

I mean it's fine and best to ignore empty hype without merit or logic.  Or even just to ignore hype period and look only at the evidence and circumstances of the situation.  Supposedly amazing defensive player who is a wing with the versatility to guard a Siakam or Williamson.  Talented enough offensively with the confidence to assert himself and the trust of his teammates for them to involve him in the offense.

Pop is going with the small ball movement and Johnson has the versatility to defend one through four apparently.  He hustles and gets defensive stats and rebounds, can hit threes and doesn't seem to hurt your FT%.

If you disagree with any of what I've said that's fine and you should base your expectations on what you determine to be his reality.  If you agree with everything I've said and aren't excited about his prospects then I think you have your expectations set unreasonably high, and higher than most in this thread, and thus your skepticism makes sense.

• Like 4

It all depends on your league settings and team build but for someone who was 0.3% rostered on ESPN, putting up these numbers on the SPURS is worth the add and a complete bargain. its not the most eye popping numbers besides last game but it's very hard to find that production on the WW in my leagues at least .i admit i did jump the gun at first on adding him and acted on impulse cause i missed out on graham last year but as of rn it seems to be paying off. But pop speaks very highly of him and i'm excited to see him grow this season, I didn't watch much of the game last night but did look at the box score seeing that zion was 7/22 idk how much of that had to do with johnson but regardless impressive defense by the spurs as a unit on a freak athlete. Also worth noting that LMA only played 20 mins so it seems like pop is actually adapting to the small ball game! especially in crucial moments and a stacked western conference it seems like he is doing everything he possibly can to win, even putting players egos to the side.

2 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I think the reason for the hype is because many peoples Devin Vassell projection didn’t work out.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnske04/gamelog/2020

Killed it to end the bubble. Watched every game for Poeltl, he was the stand out as well as Derrick White.

Played no Preseason games and was an immediate starter the moment he was healthy. Pop clearly likes the guy.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I think the reason for the hype is because many peoples Devin Vassell projection didn’t work out.

I also drafted Devin Vassell but if you did not properly assess the situation through the first 2 games and see how Pop was allocating his minutes throughout the first couple of games, then anyone who didn't do the swap for Keldon is at fault. The talent is there but I feel Vassell will almost likely be bumped out of the rotation once White is up to speed and you know how Pop is with his rookies. His only chances of fantasy relevance this season is if the Spurs stink it up... which is unlikely right now as they look competitive.

2 minutes ago, indigorivers said:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnske04/gamelog/2020

Killed it to end the bubble. Watched every game for Poeltl, he was the stand out as well as Derrick White.

Played no Preseason games and was an immediate starter the moment he was healthy. Pop clearly likes the guy.

No I get that, but before season started people were high on Vassell saying he was the most NBA ready and he would get thrown a lot of minutes. Obviously that hasn’t worked out and now the goal posts have changed. I’m not knocking Keldon Johnson.

2 minutes ago, hlin8821 said:

I also drafted Devin Vassell but if you did not properly assess the situation through the first 2 games and see how Pop was allocating his minutes throughout the first couple of games, then anyone who didn't do the swap for Keldon is at fault. The talent is there but I feel Vassell will almost likely be bumped out of the rotation once White is up to speed and you know how Pop is with his rookies. His only chances of fantasy relevance this season is if the Spurs stink it up... which is unlikely right now as they look competitive.

Vassell plays amazing defense, which is the key to Pop's heart. Right now, the shots aren't falling. When they do, I expect him to get more of a burn. I don't know how much burn, but he's worth keeping an eye on, even after Derrick returns.

Edited by xlosingmyedgex
Just now, xlosingmyedgex said:

Vassell plays amazing defense, which is the key to Pop's heart. Right now, the shots aren't falling. When they do, I expect him to get more of a burn. I don't know how much burn, but he's worth keeping an eye on, even after Derrick returns.

I'm high on the kid as well. But I see no way he can get quality minutes at the 1 or 2 once White returns. Murray and White will start at the 1 and 2 while Patty Mills and Lonnie backs them up. That leaves the SF and PF minutes to Rudy Gay, Derozan, Keldon and maybe even potentially Trey Lyles. LMA and Poetl will soak up the 5 spot minutes. Where does that leave Vassell in this crowded rotation? 

Anyways, this thread is about Keldon. If you haven't hopped on the train yet and he's available. Hop on ASAP!

6 minutes ago, hlin8821 said:

I'm high on the kid as well. But I see no way he can get quality minutes at the 1 or 2 once White returns. Murray and White will start at the 1 and 2 while Patty Mills and Lonnie backs them up. That leaves the SF and PF minutes to Rudy Gay, Derozan, Keldon and maybe even potentially Trey Lyles. LMA and Poetl will soak up the 5 spot minutes. Where does that leave Vassell in this crowded rotation? 

Anyways, this thread is about Keldon. If you haven't hopped on the train yet and he's available. Hop on ASAP!

Good points.

Unfortunately, Keldon got scooped in my league. As a Spurs fan who had the pleasure of watching Keldon in the G League all last season, I'm hyped on the love he's getting. Kid deserves it.

Edited by xlosingmyedgex
  • Like 1