NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jarred Vanderbilt 2020-2021 Outlook

2 hours ago, justblazedawg said:

I don’t understand how you can be on the floor for 10 minutes and only get 1 rebound and take 1 shot. What exactly are you doing? 

I checked his stats early in the game too and was a bit underwhelmed by my pickup...I think we can all agree though that he ended up doing okay today in the rebound department ;) 

• Like 1
  • Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jarred is, and always has been one of the best rebounders in the nation. In college he was ranked #1 on the offensive boards and top 20 on the defensive boards. He's a monster rebounder, and here's Jo

When this salty weirdo shows up hatin...you know you got a decent ww pick up lol. Go write love letters to MCW bro. Leave us be with our bad players 

Austin, I'm not judging and we are in the wrong thread for this, but accepting RoCo for Vanderbilt is how you win at fantasy.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, stay_woke said:

Missed two wide open bunnies from within a foot in the 4th quarter to seal the Wolves loss tonight. If you were wondering why he doesn't play more it's because he's not good 

To be fair, both of those "wide open bunnies" were the result of Vanderbilt's offensive rebounds. After the first rebound, he regrouped near the three point line and took it to the hole, but was met by a well-positioned LeBron James who caused him to double-clutch. The second happened after a Rubio attempt missed the rim entirely and caught Vanderbilt off guard on the way up.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, MrCantaloupe said:

To be fair, both of those "wide open bunnies" were the result of Vanderbilt's offensive rebounds. After the first rebound, he regrouped near the three point line and took it to the hole, but was met by a well-positioned LeBron James who caused him to double-clutch. The second happened after a Rubio attempt missed the rim entirely and caught Vanderbilt off guard on the way up.

On the first one (if we're thinking of the same one) he had KAT wide open right in front of him and decided to drive on Lebron instead. I really like the kid for his drive and defensive hustle and I've picked up and dropped him multiple times, but I think he lacks iq on the offensive side of the game and he also can't shoot, which combined make him a bit of an offensive liability. 

• Like 1

Hustle is nice, but does not produce consistent numbers. What he needs is more minutes like he got tonight. That will bring the volatility down a bit. With 17-23 minutes its just a crap shoot and most likely odds are in favor of him not performing.

40 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

On the first one (if we're thinking of the same one) he had KAT wide open right in front of him and decided to drive on Lebron instead. I really like the kid for his drive and defensive hustle and I've picked up and dropped him multiple times, but I think he lacks iq on the offensive side of the game and he also can't shoot, which combined make him a bit of an offensive liability. 

Nope. Here is the play. KAT was under the hoop when Vanderbilt flew through the lane and grabbed the offensive rebound. Vanderbilt's momentum with the ball took him out to the left corner. KAT was still down low and should have posted up or moved away from the ball to maintain good spacing. Instead, he left the post and followed Vanderbilt to the SAME corner (almost as if he was closing out on a wide open Vanderbilt), which allowed Marc Gasol to come out with him and easily defend two players at the same time. Had KAT not done that, Vanderbilt would have been wide open to take a baseline 15 footer, enter the ball into the post, or kick it back to the wing to reset the offense. Instead, KAT brought the defensive pressure to Vanderbilt, who arguably made the right play by not picking up his dribble in the crowded corner and attacking the vacated space down low. LeBron made a good play to slide over from the opposite block and contest the shot.

Highlighting this play as an indictment of Vanderbilt's IQ, when you yourself previously considered the end result a "wide open bunny", seems like an odd choice. 

1 hour ago, JormaJormala said:

Hustle is nice, but does not produce consistent numbers. What he needs is more minutes like he got tonight. That will bring the volatility down a bit. With 17-23 minutes its just a crap shoot and most likely odds are in favor of him not performing.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Nope. Here is the play. KAT was under the hoop when Vanderbilt flew through the lane and grabbed the offensive rebound. Vanderbilt's momentum with the ball took him out to the left corner. KAT was still down low and should have posted up or moved away from the ball to maintain good spacing. Instead, he left the post and followed Vanderbilt to the SAME corner (almost as if he was closing out on a wide open Vanderbilt), which allowed Marc Gasol to come out with him and easily defend two players at the same time. Had KAT not done that, Vanderbilt would have been wide open to take a baseline 15 footer, enter the ball into the post, or kick it back to the wing to reset the offense. Instead, KAT brought the defensive pressure to Vanderbilt, who arguably made the right play by not picking up his dribble in the crowded corner and attacking the vacated space down low. LeBron made a good play to slide over from the opposite block and contest the shot.

Highlighting this play as an indictment of Vanderbilt's IQ, when you yourself previously considered the end result a "wide open bunny", seems like an odd choice. 

All he had to do was hand the ball to KAT and screen Gasol and it would have been a wide open three for the best player on your team. 

Here's the wide open miss that would have made it a 3 point game with two and a half to play, can't really defend this. https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=605&GameID=0022000431&Season=2020-21&flag=1&title=MISS Vanderbilt Tip Layup Shot&sct=plot

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

All he had to do was hand the ball to KAT and screen Gasol and it would have been a wide open three for the best player on your team. 

Here's the wide open miss that would have made it a 3 point game with two and a half to play, can't really defend this. https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=605&GameID=0022000431&Season=2020-21&flag=1&title=MISS Vanderbilt Tip Layup Shot&sct=plot

I'm actually really digging your guys' debate!  Really interesting as I can see both arguments as valid.  Vandy did blow some pretty damn high percentage looks, but it also took his insane hustle/rebounding for him to even have those opportunities in the first place.

I for one am digging his trajectory regardless of the botched layups and general lack of offensive prowess.  Played nearly 30 minutes (!) last night which is huge considering this is what we were all hoping for in anticipation of KAT's return.  He had 7 offensive rebounds alone, and he's a fan favorite in Minny (although that can only take you so far, I know).   You never know with Saunders' rotations, but at the moment, his starting role with 25 mpg is looking pretty safe, and that's all that really matters at the end of the day.

• Like 2

Looks like we are divided into 2 camps here: one group recognizes the hustle and the other group focuses more on the final results. What we can't deny is his ability to get to the ball, however, and that's not something every NBA player can do. Let's say we are evaluating an FA  for offense, which one would you rather have?

• Player A:  7/8 FG, 16 points
  • Player B: 5/20 FG, 16 points

I'll take Player B any day of the week because to take that many shots despite missing so many shows he has the command of the team and trust of the coach, whereas Player A just had a fluke game. Since we are intrigued by Vandy's defense, I think we should focus on his ability to get to the ball, whether it's stocks or rebounds, not if he made this or that layup. I would rather see 2 go-get-it-on-your-own offensive rebounds + 2 missed bunnies than 2 lucky bounce offensive rebounds that lead to 2 easy baskets. This type of create something out of nothing plays is what will earn Vandy more consistent minutes. If I was the Timberwolves coach I wouldn't care about the missed bunnies, because he doesn't have any other player who can even create the opportunities to miss those layups. The shots didn't go it, but at least Vandy gave the team a chance to score on those plays. Vandy will keep creating plays for himself like this, that will earn him more minutes, and that'll get him more easier, luckier chances.  

Trust the process lol

Fantasy aside I really like how the Wolves look with him and KAT on the court. He is definitely giving KAT the much needed defense the Wolves need. Hopefully this translates to more minutes which eventually translates to more stats. 

• Like 2

Not sure why there's a debate over a free value FA. Pick up the guy if you need anything other than PTS FT 3PTM AST. That's what I did. Because with 25-30 MPG he can help me compete in REB STL BLK TO and even FG if he starts making his layups..... 

• Like 4

It's hard to gauge who the pick-up is between Vanderbilt and McDaniels.  Vanderbilt has been more productive throughout the year, however, McDaniels is the better defender imo.  I think McDaniels will be the guy long term, but for now it may be Vanderbilt. Who knows, maybe they play Vanderbilt at the and McDaniels at the 3 for long stretches of the game.