NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jarred Vanderbilt 2020-2021 Outlook

4 hours ago, JormaJormala said:

- Cant shoot for his life to play SF or PF, no 3 point shot what so ever, no jump shot what so ever

The wolves roster is full of chuckers. They need somebody on the inside who can do the dirty work of defending the rim and getting rebounds. I don't see anybody else on the roster with the desire/energy to do that. I like the quick hands and the anticipation.

If Jarred continues to develop, you have to like the trade better that the wolves did last year with Keita Bates-Diop, Shabazz Napier, Covington and Noah Vonleh going and Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangomez and Jarred Vanderbilt coming back. There was a draft choice too. Except for Covington, the Wolves did not lose much.

• Like 2
  • Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jarred is, and always has been one of the best rebounders in the nation. In college he was ranked #1 on the offensive boards and top 20 on the defensive boards. He's a monster rebounder, and here's Jo

When this salty weirdo shows up hatin...you know you got a decent ww pick up lol. Go write love letters to MCW bro. Leave us be with our bad players 

Austin, I'm not judging and we are in the wrong thread for this, but accepting RoCo for Vanderbilt is how you win at fantasy.

Posted Images

The guy rebounds well, a definite strength. 

The weakness that dropped him in drafts and opportunities so far is his lack of spacing. He is a longer 4 but might be an undersized 5. However, in today's game the 5 are smaller, with the caveat they bring spacing to the floor to offset that.

Problem with Min is that there's a lot of drama going on and a lot of money being paid to Juancho. So I don't think he should play the 4 or will get a big chance there. At the 5 he has a chance to be Town's backup.

Anyone local to Minny who can give us a feel on the PF/C situation?  Could Reid get leapfrogged by Jarred or was yesterday more of a 1 off due to Reid’s foul trouble?

Anybody who can help Saunders win will play. So from game to game, Beasley, DLO and KAT are probably the only ones that have consistent minutes.

If a bench player comes in and has a hot hand, they will get more minutes for that game.  So rotations will be hard to predict. 

The wolves don't have very many players that can play defense. Okogie, maybe Culver, possibly Ed Davis, Rubio sometimes. Reid is still pretty raw and may not have the best basketball IQ and anticipation.

If Vanderbilt shows he can play defense and rebound, I think he can make a case for minutes.

Bottom line is nobody knows.

7 hours ago, JormaJormala said:

Sure, he rebounded well against underdeveloped kids in the church gym. Let see him do it on a back-to-back game against NBA size front court on a gloomy Tuesday night.

Ep8RcSHWMAQwHKn.jpg

Kind of like what he did last week against the Lakers Gasol, AD and Harrell and then the following game against Clippers. 

6 hours ago, Kawz said:

Anyone local to Minny who can give us a feel on the PF/C situation?  Could Reid get leapfrogged by Jarred or was yesterday more of a 1 off due to Reid’s foul trouble?

This is not a checkmark but he writes game articles for Wolves SB nation site, so legit.

• Like 1

I actually hope Saunders tries him with the starters tonight. Not only due to possibly more secure minutes and D'Angelo 3pt threat helps on the PnR/lob game, but also I want him to defend the Nurkic PnR instead of trying to battle with Kanter on the O-boards. Kanter has the better post game and is really strong, possibly could get in foul trouble there just trying to hold your ground.

Naz Reid got 3 starts

Ed Davis got 2 starts

Is it Vanderbilt's turn?

3 hours ago, bbythepier said:

I actually hope Saunders tries him with the starters tonight. Not only due to possibly more secure minutes and D'Angelo 3pt threat helps on the PnR/lob game, but also I want him to defend the Nurkic PnR instead of trying to battle with Kanter on the O-boards. Kanter has the better post game and is really strong, possibly could get in foul trouble there just trying to hold your ground.

Naz Reid got 3 starts

Ed Davis got 2 starts

Is it Vanderbilt's turn?

I feel like if he doesn't start this game he will start the next... Assuming no one breaks out.

He plays Saturday and Sunday so I will be holding until then at a minimum.   He plays insanely hard out there, going for every rebound/steal/block.

Happy with what he put up tonight - 10 pts/10reb/1ast/2 stl - For an end of the bench fill in that is a nice line.

1) He played the Lillard/Nurkic PnR like trash but I have no idea if Ryan Saunders can help that. You'd think so but he might just suck as a developer.

2) Got bullied by Kanter on a couple of back downs. That was chalk.

We all know about everything else and what he brings. Next opponent San Antonio is a much different type of team and won't have such lopsided size/weight differentials. I'm rolling him out there again, with the risk he could get 12 minutes in a competitive game.

Edited by bbythepier
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, taenggg said:

this guy is nerlens 2.0 but with steals

16 minutes ago, j3rkthenurk said:

Nerlens gives you steals as well

This. Noel pretty much averaged 2 steals a game his first two years in the league. And then 1.5 steals in only 20 min a game in years 3 and 4. In less minutes since then he gets you 1 steal a game. Give him minutes he will get you stocks ;)

If this coach has any integrity he will bench Wanderpilt next game. He was atrocious out there defending Portland bigs. Yeez!

6 minutes ago, JormaJormala said:

If this coach has any integrity he will bench Wanderpilt next game. He was atrocious out there defending Portland bigs. Yeez!

All Minnesota big men are atrocious at defense.

2 minutes ago, JormaJormala said:

I think SF and PF are the more natural positions for him. He's got good handles, quickness, and passing to play SF. He's too skinny to play center, but it's not like the team has anything to gain from playing Ed Davis at center. Might as well give the young kid some run and see what he can develop into.

I was mulling hard whether to pick him up and I literally got out of my bathroom midshower (still covered in soap and shampoo) to pick him up by the end of the 3rd quarter. Felt like the blurb that came out after the game would've let people in my league leave him alone.

That said, I don't think he'd be doing his teammates any justice by playing as a small ball 5 but would work great as a 4. I've gone through my fair share of players that fall under the "this guy would be great if he just got 20+/30+mpg!!!" but it feels alot more viable for him to become a focal piece in the rotation just because of how atrocious and lackadaisical the rest of the big men on the team look.

• Haha 1