NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jarred Vanderbilt 2020-2021 Outlook

1 hour ago, tazdingo said:

I was mulling hard whether to pick him up and I literally got out of my bathroom midshower (still covered in soap and shampoo) to pick him up by the end of the 3rd quarter. Felt like the blurb that came out after the game would've let people in my league leave him alone.

That said, I don't think he'd be doing his teammates any justice by playing as a small ball 5 but would work great as a 4. I've gone through my fair share of players that fall under the "this guy would be great if he just got 20+/30+mpg!!!" but it feels alot more viable for him to become a focal piece in the rotation just because of how atrocious and lackadaisical the rest of the big men on the team look.

You were watching basketball in the shower? Or just thinking too hard?ūüėā

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jarred is, and always has been one of the best rebounders in the nation. In college he was ranked #1 on the offensive boards and top 20 on the defensive boards. He's a monster rebounder, and here's Jo

When this salty weirdo shows up hatin...you know you got a decent ww pick up lol. Go write love letters to MCW bro. Leave us be with our bad players 

Austin, I'm not judging and we are in the wrong thread for this, but accepting RoCo for Vanderbilt is how you win at fantasy.

Posted Images

Still sorta iffy on him, given the flux of the Wolves roster and the uncertainty surrounding KAT.

Honestly, I have no idea how Vanderbilt will fit in terms of position.  He's undersized and rather skinny at C, but he can't shoot well enough to play SF/PF.  I'm rooting for him and I'll keep watching but I'll probably be on the sidelines.  Hoping he does ... okay?  Not too good to let other owners key in on him, but not too bad that he loses my confidence.  Haha, I think the biggest reason I'm steering clear of him for now is that he's only got 2 games next week, when many teams have 4 and some teams even have 5 (Sixers/Pacers).  I can't even take him for the weekend's B2B because it'd tip off other owners to who he is.  :P

Everyone's all rushing to grab for upside and whatnot, but I think I beat myself by methodically overthinking with contextual variables and factors for every transaction I consider ... Fantasy's too much of a mindgame for me at this point, lol. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, MWon said:

Still sorta iffy on him, given the flux of the Wolves roster and the uncertainty surrounding KAT.

Honestly, I have no idea how Vanderbilt will fit in terms of position.  He's undersized and rather skinny at C, but he can't shoot well enough to play SF/PF.  I'm rooting for him and I'll keep watching but I'll probably be on the sidelines.  Hoping he does ... okay?  Not too good to let other owners key in on him, but not too bad that he loses my confidence.  Haha, I think the biggest reason I'm steering clear of him for now is that he's only got 2 games next week, when many teams have 4 and some teams even have 5 (Sixers/Pacers).  I can't even take him for the weekend's B2B because it'd tip off other owners to who he is.  :P

Everyone's all rushing to grab for upside and whatnot, but I think I beat myself by methodically overthinking with contextual variables and factors for every transaction I consider ... Fantasy's too much of a mindgame for me at this point, lol. 

you're not going to tip anyone off in the league.  He's already top 3 in yahoo FA adds.  Someone will take a chance on him (like me) if you don't.

Snooze you lose.

Like you said, he has a b2b, easy drop if he doesn't perform.  Strong hold if he does.

• Like 1

I think I'd be okay with snoozing and losing on him, esp considering he's not guaranteed value and there are quite a few factors playing against him.  

And the problem with your argument, at least for me (which I've already pointed out), is that I'd probably need to drop him after the weekend anyway due to the Wolves having a 2-gamer when many other streamers (e.g. Milton/Justin Holiday) could be having 5.  I think it's a relative issue anyway; if you're leading your league in a deep league and want potential ROS value without minding a player's weak schedule and some volatility around him next week, take Vanderbilt.  But I think in most other cases, I'd advise against a pickup, especially if you're struggling.

That being said, I might stream in one league with him for the B2B, or see on Tuesday before his Wed/Fri games if I can use him; playing against the Griz twice is also nice. Grabbing on Tuesday after a player has a Mon-Tues B2B turns Vanderbilt into a faux-4 gamer if you don't need to stream that spot, so it's much more palatable and acceptable risk at that point.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, pushaZ said:

You were watching basketball in the shower? Or just thinking too hard?ūüėā

DEFINITELY thinking too hard.ūüėÜ

32 minutes ago, j3rkthenurk said:

They loved Rondae so much they cut him.

Yeah, but up until like 2 weeks ago, Saunders was still found praising him. Just saying Vanderbilt can fill the same role

Edited by indigorivers
1 minute ago, indigorivers said:

Yeah, but up until like 2 weeks ago, Saunders was still found praising him. Just saying Vanderbilt can fill the same role

Actions speak louder than words

He can praise him all he wants, but at the end of the day he got cut.

Just now, j3rkthenurk said:

Actions speak louder than words

He can praise him all he wants, but at the end of the day he got cut.

Moving on from Rondae because my point isn't that he got cut, my point is positional need. Vanderbilt fits a need.

3:15 Saunders talks about the potential of playing Vanderbilt at the 4 with Kat at the 5

• Like 2
9 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Because they play nothing alike?

Why in God's green earth would I care whether they play alike or not? We're talking about fantasy stats here. He gets limited mins, is a lengthy energy booster off the bench and his per 36 is 4 steals and 1.5 blocks. 

And to be clear, I understand that Nerlens gets steals as well, my point was to highlight that Vanderbilt leans more towards steals while Nerlens more towards blocks which has been the case the last few years.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, tazdingo said:

I was mulling hard whether to pick him up and I literally got out of my bathroom midshower (still covered in soap and shampoo) to pick him up by the end of the 3rd quarter.

In Taz's defense, I interrupted a dog walk this morning to pick up Vanderbilt because hearing Josh Lloyd's plug of him as one of the brightest rising adds meant to me that a fellow league GM would hire him later today, and I couldn't let that happen.

For context, pursuant to MWon's very astute comments, this works for my team and league, deep 12 teamer, he's a FA so I could keep him 16th round next year, it's 9-cat roto, I'm in first, and just fishing for late season values to season and mature at the end of my bench. Can sit him for weeks.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, rando said:

For context, pursuant to MWon's very astute comments, this works for my team and league, deep 12 teamer, he's a FA so I could keep him 16th round next year, it's 9-cat roto, I'm in first, and just fishing for late season values to season and mature at the end of my bench. Can sit him for weeks.

And I'm in near last, gonna lose matchups this week, am holding two injured players (who I know will be out for weeks), and will likely lose the next week's matchups.  

I have nowhere near that luxury to take a risk on Vanderbilt's 2 games and limited minutes.  I think grabbing him is situational, because if you can afford to hold and hope on him, I'd encourage you to do so.  As I said, I'm rooting for him and tbh, I actually think he'll do well.  But when your house is on fire (and everyone's safely out), grab money if you can, not lotto tickets. Or ... I mean, get out safely yourself and don't risk your life.  Yeah, that's my point.  :P

• Like 1

I am thoroughly convinced he won't be able to see the light of day under Saunders as head coach unless they get hit by a wave of COVID cases/injuries and they have no choice to use him. So far, it looks like they only see him as a small ball 5 which doesn't look like the proper way to use him at the moment. I know the game is still going on right now but he's going to be an easy cut for now (especially with KAT back) but someone who I'll still be watching from the WW. 

The Jarred Vanderbilt Experiment is predictably over. Hype train moves on to the next target. 

Edited by JormaJormala
On 1/8/2021 at 2:14 AM, summersoff7 said:

you're not going to tip anyone off in the league.  He's already top 3 in yahoo FA adds.  Someone will take a chance on him (like me) if you don't.

Snooze you lose.

Yeah, I bit and I lost.  Again, my point about context stands even more clearly now.  Anyone with the luxury of saying, "meh, I can just drop him" is probably already winning in their leagues.  Otherwise, Vanderbilt was basically a lost player slot today, which could've made all the difference in a matchup.

That being said, tomorrow might be different, who knows.  The rotations are so messy and with KAT back, it's anyone's guess who plays around him, esp since he might not even play tomorrow on a B2B.  For that reason, I've already tossed him, and if y'all wanna hold someone who can drop a dud as bad as tonight's for another week (since he only plays 2 games next week), good luck.

Erghhh, this is getting my hopes up again... Please just do it already Saunders. I hate feeling like this... Like I'm pining on another Boucher/Ant-Rand

Edited by tazdingo
  • Like 1

No Layman or Juancho for Friday’s game. 

6 minutes ago, Crazycanto said:

He started this game and seemingly no one has batted an eye...

The hype died already.