NBC Sports Edge Forums

Robert Williams 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He has the perfect schedule this week to stream/take a flier. Plays mid wk b2b and 4 total games this wk on empty nights. If it doesn’t work out in the 4 games this wk, enjoy the blocks for your match

GIVE THIS GUY SOME DECENT F UCKING PLAYIN TIME BRAD STEVENS URE SUCHA F UCKING A SSHOLE

The DimeLord 

Posted Images

13 hours ago, xlosingmyedgex said:

Got impatient with BroLo and dropped him for Williams. I may regret it, but sometimes you just gotta be bold.

Aren't you worried that this will be a revolving door with the bigs in Boston? At least BroLo will consistently anchor his spot with the Bucks. I'm not sold on any of the Celts bigs coming out on top of each other. I just don't see an anchor there. This seems like a very fluid situation.

• Like 1

Williams is clearly the most talented C on the roster. It's a matter of if and not when he seals that role and gets a longer minutes allocation at the 5. His playoff performances in the bubble should tell you everything you need to know as to why he should be grabbed at least as a flier for now.

• Like 2

He has the perfect schedule this week to stream/take a flier. Plays mid wk b2b and 4 total games this wk on empty nights. If it doesn’t work out in the 4 games this wk, enjoy the blocks for your match up this wk and move on. If it does work out, and he earns a lil more PT, you got a stocks monster at end of your bench now. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, TheBoondocks said:

Williams is clearly the most talented C on the roster. It's a matter of if and not when he seals that role and gets a longer minutes allocation at the 5. His playoff performances in the bubble should tell you everything you need to know as to why he should be grabbed at least as a flier for now.

Sorry am I missing something here? Neither his bubble nor playoff performance is something that would make me excited for him. Celtics fans aren't particularly stoked about him either. It's not as if they had big changes to the C position that would open time for him. In fact, they may have had a slight upgrade when they got rid of Kanter for TT. 

Th4flu1.png

Edited by MuscleChestbrook
13 minutes ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

Sorry am I missing something here? Neither his bubble nor playoff performance is something that would make me excited for him. Celtics fans aren't particularly stoked about him either. It's not as if they had big changes to the C position that would open time for him. In fact, they may have had a slight upgrade when they got rid of Kanter for TT. 

Th4flu1.png

Despite the slight upgrade in Centres, he played 21 minutes against the Pacers the other day (3 more minutes than any game listed above) and closed out a game that was extremely tight. 

Look at his 18 minute games from this log. 

18-5-2-1-3 (100% FG)

10-5-2-1-1 (100% FG) 

He is a per minute beast, and any additional minutes coming his way only makes him more valuable. 

Obviously remains to be seen if he can get these minutes on a consistent basis, but if Stevens is beginning to trust him more than Theis, he certainly is worth a flier in 12 and 14 team leagues, especially in 9 Cat. 

Edited by DiscoNinja33
1 minute ago, DiscoNinja33 said:

Despite the slight upgrade in Centres, he played 21 minutes against the Pacers the other day (3 more minutes than any game listed above) and closed out a game that was extremely tight. 

Look at his 18 minute games from this log. 

18-5-2-1-3

10-5-2-1-1

He is a per minute beast, and any additional minutes coming his way only makes him more valuable. 

Obviously remains to be seen if he can get these minutes on a consistent basis, but if Stevens is beginning to trust him more than Theis, he certainly is worth a flier in 12 and 14 team leagues, especially in 9 Cat. 

Caveat to this is that TT is on a minutes limit as his minutes progress after returning from injury. Agreed that he is a fantasy beast on a per36 basis, but I think his limitations in real life will prevent him from achieving those minutes - at least that's the consensus I've read over at the Celtics subreddit. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

Caveat to this is that TT is on a minutes limit as his minutes progress after returning from injury. Agreed that he is a fantasy beast on a per36 basis, but I think his limitations in real life will prevent him from achieving those minutes - at least that's the consensus I've read over at the Celtics subreddit. 

I agree that i would be cautious about dropping anyone decent for him.

Most that are adding him are streaming him for the week in an end of roster spot. 

Worst case scenario, he's dropped after his back to back putting up modest numbers with sub 18 minute games, best case scenario he continues to see 20+ minutes while TT is on a minutes restriction and he adds valuable FG %, blocks and steals for the next 3 for 4 weeks. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, thusanaysayer said:

I'll admit, I knew of his name but never bothered to watch him play until I looked up his highlights.. and wow, dude looks impressive, idk why he doesn't get more playing time 

Cause he doesn’t know how to play basketball yet. He just runs fast and jump high right now. Look up why his nickname is Time Lord and you will worry about his intelligence too. He has Hassan Whiteside upside but unfortunately also Whiteside’s brain lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
16 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

Cause he doesn’t know how to play basketball yet. He just runs fast and jump high right now. Look up why his nickname is Time Lord and you will worry about his intelligence too. He has Hassan Whiteside upside but unfortunately also Whiteside’s brain lol

To be fair, I think he's smarter than Whiteside. 

Williams has the highest ceiling at this point in time and his stock potential is superb. Whether he is able to surpass Theis and assume a nightly 25 minute role remains to be seen. The good thing is the Celtics are not committed to Theis long term and TT was primarily brought in to bang with bigs in the playoffs and provide veteran leadership. 

3 hours ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

Th4flu1.png

He made nearly 80% of his shots in the bubble and playoffs, and was +65 while on the court. This, despite missing the majority of his 2nd year with ankle and hip injuries. He's made nearly 90% of his shots so far this year and is the 52nd best player per BBM despite playing only 17 minutes per game.

On Sunday, he played down the stretch and totaled nearly 22 minutes. His steal while down 1 point with 16 seconds left was the team's play of the game, and his block on Malcolm Brogdon while down 2 points with about a minute left was equally as important.

After the game, Brad Stevens called him clearly their best big (albeit, in context of the game) and Jayson Tatum praised his defense and passing ability. Just yesterday, Brad Stevens hinted that he's considering a change to the frontcourt rotation, citing defensive concerns.

These things above are plastered all over the Celtics reddit page, while Daniel Theis and Tristan Thompson are hardly mentioned at all. In addition, out of all contending teams, Boston, with Daniel Theis and Tristan Thompson, might easily have the worst frontcourt. Seems unfair to cite the lack of "big changes to the C position" as a negative, and say Celtics fans "are not particularly stoked", when he clearly receives the most hype of the group.

There are 48 minutes to go around and Williams can easily put up top 100 value if given an equal share (16 minutes). It shouldn't be difficult for him to secure 20+ minutes if Brad Stevens continues to view him as their best big.

Having said that, I do believe the Celtics will use their TPE and make a deal for frontcourt help before the dealine. Draymond Green looks like a nice fit, and his coming to town would certainly derail the Time Lord hype train. "Green" in Boston does have a nice ring to it though.

For now, let's enjoy this 4 games in 6 nights stretch and see what happens.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I guess that this isn't the Time Lord's time. 

Cost myself the week panic picking him up to try to replace Nerlens Noel, but it looks like I got Noel Part 2. 

I guess the Front court changes Steven's was talking about was adding ANOTHER Williams to the rotation. Grant Williams. 

Hopefully Celtics get beat bad and Steven's considers him next time around.