NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ha-Seong Kim 2021 Outlook

Mods, feel free to move to MILB thread if this is not yet allowed in MLB, but figured since he has an agreement it could go here.

San Diego looks like a nice landing spot for him. Not the best ballpark, but joins a pretty stout lineup. Should be the every day 2B. Entering his age 25 season, he's been a star in the KBO, averaging over 20 HR and over 20 SB per season, and hitting .294 / .373 / .493 over his career. He is also considered a quality fielder to boot. Should be interesting how some of the websites give him position eligibility, would be a bonus is they start him at SS then he gains 2B as he plays there. NFBC ADP is at 193 which seems pretty low given the power/speed combo at a premium position. I'd be surprised if this doesn't end closer to 160-170 as the season gets closer.

25 minutes ago, svdude said:

Ji-man Choi and Shin-soo Choo 

so Choo

whats the details on this dude, RH/LH/SW etc?

as a Padre fan I am not a fan of this signing, we have missed out on every Asian import since Fukudome and been quite thankful each time

Edited by Golden Spikes
43 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Quite a list.

They aren't superstars but both reached and/or exceeded expectations. Kim is going to make like 5-8 million a year. Not exactly a high risk proposition.  Thats paying for like a 1 win player, even less honestly.. So if he isn't terrible, he will earn or exceed that.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

They aren't superstars but both reached and/or exceeded expectations. Kim is going to make like 5-8 million a year. Not exactly a high risk proposition.  Thats paying for like a 1 win player, even less honestly.. So if he isn't terrible, he will earn or exceed that.

Choo was great. 

I was just surprised there was exactly one good position player from Korea. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Choo was great. 

I was just surprised there was exactly one good position player from Korea. 

I forgot about Choo, but yah this doesnt bode well for success, although it seems like most guys come over around age 30, this kid is 25, and apparently going to basically be their Profar.

Honestly as a Padre fan I would have rather given the same contract to Profar or even a little more, but maybe he wanted guaranteed playing

• 2 weeks later...

Just going off memory but I think ZIPS had him for 20/15 270ish avg and 350ish obp. Doubt he does that, but well worth the money he's getting if he does close to that at 2B. ADP is 185 currently, going after Solak and before Madrigal which isn't a horrible spot if does play 2B. 

Edit: RR has him batting 8th and looks like a tough task to move much higher given their lineup. Although 8th in that lineup is better than most 8 spots. 

Edited by mavsfan23
1 hour ago, mavsfan23 said:

Just going off memory but I think ZIPS had him for 20/15 270ish avg and 350ish obp. Doubt he does that, but well worth the money he's getting if he does close to that at 2B. ADP is 185 currently, going after Solak and before Madrigal which isn't a horrible spot if does play 2B. 

Edit: RR has him batting 8th and looks like a tough task to move much higher given their lineup. Although 8th in that lineup is better than most 8 spots. 

20 HR is asking a whole lot of a player who has never seen MLB pitching. 

• 2 months later...

So I wanted to bump this thread up to see what people think of Kim now with the Tatis injury.  We expecting everyday bats for him now?  With 2B as relatively weak as it is this year I'll be watching him closely, but really not sure what to expect.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Baur10 said:

So I wanted to bump this thread up to see what people think of Kim now with the Tatis injury.  We expecting everyday bats for him now?  With 2B as relatively weak as it is this year I'll be watching him closely, but really not sure what to expect.

I had dropped him but picked him back up after the Tatis injury (also own Tatis). I would expect he'll get a fair shot with the contract they gave him, but I'm skeptical because he reportedly seemed overmatched by high velocity this spring and put up putrid numbers. Had two hits in his first start, but it was against a low-90s lefty in Caleb Smith. But, as a desperate Tatis owner who's losing my biggest power/speed threat, he's at least a stash on the bench, considering he was a KBO 5-category stud, and hope he adjusts soon.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Caelum said:

I had dropped him but picked him back up after the Tatis injury (also own Tatis). I would expect he'll get a fair shot with the contract they gave him, but I'm skeptical because he reportedly seemed overmatched by high velocity this spring and put up putrid numbers. Had two hits in his first start, but it was against a low-90s lefty in Caleb Smith. But, as a desperate Tatis owner who's losing my biggest power/speed threat, he's at least a stash on the bench, considering he was a KBO 5-category stud, and hope he adjusts soon.

Eh... Eric Thames stole 40 bags in the KBO... Stealing 23 last year doesn't impress me... He's a bit of a wild card, but I wouldn't rely on steals just from the KBO stats. Waiting for his statcast speed to get posted once he has enough sprints.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

Eh... Eric Thames stole 40 bags in the KBO... Stealing 23 last year doesn't impress me... He's a bit of a wild card, but I wouldn't rely on steals just from the KBO stats. Waiting for his statcast speed to get posted once he has enough sprints.

Wow - that’s amazing.  I did not know that.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, B&F said:

Eric Longenhagen says he saw him in Spring Training and every time he struggled with velocity.  As an owner this concerns me.  Wonder if I should move on.

He was definitely struggling with velo in ST. He's started to look better and make adjustments. Definitely a gamble, but I think he becomes a solid player this year. Also insurance for Tatis.

Playing time is going to remain an issue, and it's tough to argue he's worth keeping around as a bench stash outside of NL only and leagues of 12+. While you have to believe there will be injuries to players like Profar, Cronenworth, Pham and Myers that will open up some opportunities for him, I'd feel better about his ABs if there were an outside chance of him ever getting pressed into OF duty, but it doesn't seem like his arm is good enough. He'll be in the mix, but limited barring a major injury. Owners of his who held and passed on Lowrie, McKinstry are hurting, so if there is another guy with category juice and more playing time than Kim on your wire, go get them. Ironically, I think his presence will ultimately take away positional eligibility from other Padres players like Austin Nola, Profar and Machado where he still has the SS tag for 2022.

34 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Playing time is going to remain an issue, and it's tough to argue he's worth keeping around as a bench stash outside of NL only and leagues of 12+. While you have to believe there will be injuries to players like Profar, Cronenworth, Pham and Myers that will open up some opportunities for him, I'd feel better about his ABs if there were an outside chance of him ever getting pressed into OF duty, but it doesn't seem like his arm is good enough. He'll be in the mix, but limited barring a major injury. Owners of his who held and passed on Lowrie, McKinstry are hurting, so if there is another guy with category juice and more playing time than Kim on your wire, go get them. Ironically, I think his presence will ultimately take away positional eligibility from other Padres players like Austin Nola, Profar and Machado where he still has the SS tag for 2022.

Agree with all of this.  I think if there was an OF injury Crone would move there with Kim going to 2B.  A lot of projections had Kim being a very good MLB player but the early returns obviously are not good.  I am in deep league but he is still on my possible cut list.

1 hour ago, B&F said:

Agree with all of this.  I think if there was an OF injury Crone would move there with Kim going to 2B.  A lot of projections had Kim being a very good MLB player but the early returns obviously are not good.  I am in deep league but he is still on my possible cut list.

They had an OF injury (Grisham), and it was Profar that took it up. You'd either need two OFs to be out or Manny/Tatis.